PDA

View Full Version : 1 Clown tank?

roulfi004
04-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Im a total newb in saltwater, and i need to ask this question.

I love clown fish.

Is it possible to build a cheap, small aquarium (5-10 Gallon -could change it as the fish grows in size-) to put 1 baby (3 cm) clown fish in? I found 1 at the store and i really think its one of the coolest fish to have. I am thinking about 1 clown and 1 anemone or artificial anemone

-Is regular filtering material, like those used in a freshwater aquariums, enough or do I need something else?
-Are additional equipment required? other than the salt from the store?
-Will the fish survive alone?

tx

palabared
04-04-2007, 06:41 AM
you may need a protein skimmer (in the filtration department) depending on what you put in that saltwater tank.

While it may be feasible to have a clown fish in a 10 gallon, no less, the anemone will not live in the tank without extremly high lighting (Metal Halides), which will cost you 10x more than your whole setup. The fish can survive alone. Read more on the lighting and anemone topics, here is a great forum for ONLY saltwater tanks, they even have a whole topic section on clown fish and anemones

http://www.reefbuilders.com/forums/

Fishguy2727
04-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Many aenmones don't need MH lighting. If you are beginner don't even worry about an aenmone, the clownfish don't need it at all (in captivity), and the fake ones look horrible to me. Filtration depends on how much live rock you want to do. I would add a little aquaclear, just don't use the carbon. What species of clown is the one you saw?

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
anenomes arent really needed. You can keep clowns in a 10g. Like reptileguy said, a aquaclear will work. I have a whisper and a rio skimmer on my 20g long salt tank and it works.

roulfi004
04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
If i understood right (correct me if im wrong):

Most basic setup possible:
-Live anemones (not needed) only decoration and places for the fish to hide
-Is a protein skimmer indispensable? (1 clownfish will live without it)
-Will a normal powerfilter function alone? (Yes)
-Live rock? (i can put normal rocks, no need for any live decoration or plant)
-The fish will live in a small aquarium of 10 gallon, only if alone

So what i need is:
-Normal filtering without activated carbon
-Artificial plants and decoration for hidings
-A heater
-Conditioned water + Aquarium Salt
-The 1 clownfish

The clownfish im talking about is the common clownfish, like NEMO from the movie (orange with white stripes) - Ocellaris Clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris (took that from wikipedia)

The one they have is still very small, like 2-3 inches long only

Thx for your help!

So what do you think? will it work?

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
heres a basic nano reef-

10g aquarium
dolomite, crushed coral, or crushed shell substrate
10 lbs live rock (1lb/gallon)
aquaclear HOB
protein skimmer, only for sensitive fish
light with a marine-glo light
sea salt
hydrometer
heater
anenomes also require that you use a powerhead for current

If you wait a few months, you can advance to anenomes. My condylactis is very good, but the lil a$$hole stung me once.

Oscellaris clowns do fine in 10g's. I used to have mine in a 10g with a condylactis anenome, purple starfish, and damsel.

Fishguy2727
04-05-2007, 12:53 AM
If you can afford it I highly encourage you to get live rock. It will help keep the tank much more stable, provide a more natural setup, allow lots of hiding places, and food for the clown to find.

I would not use carbon. It will remove vital trace elements.

Drumachine09
04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
You dont need the protein skimmer if you wont grow anything in it.