PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here keep dragon/violet gobies?

bigbad-ratman
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
my kids have me intrigued by these exoctic looking fish. i would consider switching to brackish if i knew what i could fit in there responsibly. i have seen where these gobies get to be around 8in, but dont look very big bodied.
would a 45gal be big enough for him and a couple of puffers (maybe 2 or 3)? how messy are these fish?
what does a dragon goby eat? i have heard they are filter feeders, is this true?

krystalsohun
10-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I dont know anything about dragon gobies except i want one lol. but i do know that puffers should only be kept alone or with other puffers. they have big teeth and will attack other fish.

bigbad-ratman
10-02-2009, 10:27 PM
i guess the brack tank is a no go then. cause i do want a little variety in what is pro'lly gonna be my final tank. if i can only have puffers, (and if i go brack i will) then i wont do it.

smaug
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I keep my fig 8 with 5 bumblebee gobys and a knight goby.If the puffer tank mates have a speed advantage they will be fine.BTW,its not hard to get a speed advantage over a puffer.I have hardly had them long enough to be well learned but from what I have found is this,keep them well fed and they pose very little threat to tankmates.I do know they do not normally do well with other puffers and that proved out well in my tank.

bigbad-ratman
10-02-2009, 10:43 PM
brackish selection in my area isnt great. in fact about all i can choose from are: dragon gobies, fig 8, and GSP's. i have seen mollies of course but have heard they arent truely brackish.

smaug
10-02-2009, 10:45 PM
molly do quite well even in full salt water.I also keep them in my pond and fw tanks.They do well in any water but best in harder water.

sanddigger
10-10-2009, 03:28 AM
They are great looking swimmers. Here's a little info on them

http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-animals/how-to-care-for-violet-goby