PDA

View Full Version : are my beeshrimp pregnant?

wijnands
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
It looks like the three biggest are somewhat fatter than a week or so ago. I always thought that shrimp carried eggs under their bodies but can't see that.

Any ideas if they are pregnant how to handle it in a community tank situation?

Also, what's a good way to provide additional shelter for when they start shedding? I was think of a small length of pipe big enough for them but, hopefully, small enough to keep the siamese suckermouths out.

Drumachine09
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Shrimp do carry eggs under their tail.

kimmers318
04-04-2007, 05:56 AM
You probably aren't going to have much luck saving the babies as they will be miniature versions of the adults and most likely will become fish snacks. If you want to save them I would suggest another tank for the mama's to have their babies in.
If you get babies to survive.....can I have some?????:19:

wijnands
04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Sure, drop by next time you're in the netherlands.

Hmm.. first I need to figure out if they're carrying babies.

kimmers318
04-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Have you checked out petshrimp.com yet? There is loads of great information there. The females will have the eggs carried just behind their heads, in some species you will be able to see it, like this......
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/shrimp/023.jpg
When they molt they mate with the male, he deposits his sperm then the eggs are fertilized as they pass out of the uterine area (not sure if that is what it really is called) and will deposit under their bellies til they are born. With the darker bee shrimp you may not be able to see that spot. There is ALOT more to shrimp than you would think, I had read thru their articles several times because I knew I wanted shrimp and never caught that spot in my shrimp til I posted it at the petshrimp forum and they gave me the information (then reminded me to read the articles:hmm3grin2orange: ).
Oh how I wish I could get overseas, everyone seems to find the coolest fish/shrimp and esp. puffers in other areas of the world :(

wijnands
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I looked at petshrimp. Was a bit shy to post their since keeping only half a dozen beeshrimp in a community tank is blasphemy to the shrimp lovers.

I'm also pondering how to provide some safe molting shelter for the little fellows. I'm think perhaps a few big shells or a small lenght of pipe.

Here's what a local shop has in stock, prices in euros.

http://shop.web4u.nl/nl/dept_14.html

kimmers318
04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes, they can be a little stringent at petshrimp, but at least reading thru posts and the articles, which are great, can give loads of information. If you see the eggs moved to under her belly chances are they were fertilized. I don't know much about that species, but it usually takes a few weeks for the young to be born.

wijnands
04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Bee shrimp knowledge on american boards isn't all that readily available. I've posted on a dutch forum were someone suggested that it may simply be the sex differences becomming more apparant now that they're growing up.

Last night around 2100 all 5 shrimp gathered for feeding so I had a good chance to do a close inspection. No shrimp is carrying any eggs. All look to be in fine condition.

I've also added a sea snail shell which should be big enough for a shrimp to hide in for a few days. Now all I can do is wait and see.