PDA

View Full Version : Check out this reactor

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.aquatichouse.com/plants_files/co2reactor.asp

Sweet.

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know how they work...do you hook up your diy system to it, or do you need a pressurized co2 system for it?

hungryhound
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Hobbs,

That is the CO2 reactor that i have on my tank. I am still trying to get good results with it. I don't know if my problem is my CO2 reactor or my yeast.

Once I get it straightened out I will let you know. Yesterday I bought new yeast at the store and reset up my DIY bottle. Heres to hopping that it is working. Unfourtunately. I have the fungal problem on my one fish and it has turned my tank green. Combine that with the fact that my pH test is colorometric and I cannot check to see how my DIY is working.

I would say it looks kind of cool and it is only 2 inches by 1.5 x 4 inches, so it is not a complete eyesore.

Hopefully by next week I will have all of the kinks worked out and can give you a decent review on it.

p.s. If you are looking to buy, check e-bay as there was a seller who had them for 31 dollars shipped. Which was the price that i could find on all other sites. If you want it, I will look up the seller, but i would wait until i can let you know if it is not what is giving me problems.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Great. I will wait for a while to see how yours pan out.

hungryhound
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Well Hobbs,

I bought new yeast and wanted to test it out even with the green water. Low and Behold I had a reading of around 7.2 cannot be overly positive as the green water may have pushed it up the scale a little bit. Either way I now have a drop of at least .4 degrees during the day. First time ever.

So it appears that it may have been a yeast problem on my end and not the reactor.

It appears like most of the gas that i put into the reactor makes it into solution as I do not see very many bubbles escaping the reactor. It doesn't appear to be to noisy either. Of course I have a penguin 350 and an insane cooling fan on my 200 watt light. But when I turn those off I barely here it.

It may not be the best, but it does seem to get the job done. I may try increasing the bubble rate and seeing if it can handle that if my pH does not get down below 7.0.

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2007, 11:45 PM
looks cool!

Chrona
04-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Well Hobbs,

I bought new yeast and wanted to test it out even with the green water. Low and Behold I had a reading of around 7.2 cannot be overly positive as the green water may have pushed it up the scale a little bit. Either way I now have a drop of at least .4 degrees during the day. First time ever.

So it appears that it may have been a yeast problem on my end and not the reactor.

It appears like most of the gas that i put into the reactor makes it into solution as I do not see very many bubbles escaping the reactor. It doesn't appear to be to noisy either. Of course I have a penguin 350 and an insane cooling fan on my 200 watt light. But when I turn those off I barely here it.

It may not be the best, but it does seem to get the job done. I may try increasing the bubble rate and seeing if it can handle that if my pH does not get down below 7.0.

Try checking the bubble rate with just the tubing in the water again. I don't imagine the green water helps with the pH readings ;)

How many plants do you have in there btw? Maybe the issue is simply that the plants are actually sucking up all the CO2 that the Red Sea 500 can provide during the day (I forgot you have more than 4 watts/gallon). In that case, the on during the day, off at night strategy may be the way to go, since you won't get any changes in pH period.

hungryhound
04-03-2007, 11:59 PM
bubble rate is about 3 per second. So it looks good so far. And that is only with one reactor on a fresh batch of yeast (yesterday at 7:00)

We will see how it holds up. I also noticed that the water level had dropped and that I needed to add water to keep from having a waterfall effect.

Of course this drop in pH could be from the fact that my water is green which is blocking some of my light and decreasing plant production allowing me to see a drop in pH.