PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here?

lmgiles88
09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Right, if you look at my sig below, you'll see the current stocking of my tank. I'm looking for suggestions of what/which fish i should/could add next? Clearly the guys I've got in there now are mainly mid-tank dwellers, so should I be looking for just bottom/top dwellers now?

Your suggestions would be great.

VoidParadigm
09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
How about a school of cories?

Northernguy
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
You could get a school of corys for the bottom,no lesss than 6.
You could also get a pair of dwarf cichlids or some other center peice fish that you like.

Neon
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
what about a school of Otocinclus ? they will also keep ur tank clean from algae ...and they are funny little water monkeys...see www.otocinclus.com :22:

MrJim
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
what about a school of Otocinclus ? they will also keep ur tank clean from algae ...and they are funny little water monkeys...see www.otocinclus.com :22:

water monkeys:hmm3grin2orange:

lmgiles88
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Otos! Never really looked at them before. How many should be kept together in a school?

lmgiles88
09-29-2009, 03:23 PM
You could get a school of corys for the bottom,no lesss than 6.
You could also get a pair of dwarf cichlids or some other center peice fish that you like.
I like the look of Flag Acaras and Jewel Cichlids. Would these go well with my current stock?

Neon
09-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I have 3 of them , they are very small, same size as a Neon roughly. I started with one and I had no problems but they seems happier now:fish: :fish: :fish:

wolf_eyes
09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Jewel cichlids are VERY aggressive and will not work in a community tank. Look towards fish like apistos and bolvian rams.

T Fades
09-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the current stocking, you have approximately 25" of fish for your 33g. Leaving only about 8" of fish to be fully stocked.

I agree that a school of Cories would be great, but with the need of at least 6 Cories, that would add 12" of fish.

Probably want to find a new home for the Black Mollies or Saffron Mollies, then the tank could accomodate the Cories.

Amazon
09-30-2009, 12:07 AM
The inch per gallon rule is not a correct statement.
It really depends on

1. amount of ammonia released from the fish

2. the fish's temperament, the less aggresive the more you can have.

3. if the fish is territorial (aggresion and territorial are differant things)

4. How well cycled your tank is

I think you could do with 5 corys, and maybe two other centerpeice fish like the bolivian rams.
If not the rams there are some cool rainbowfish out there.

T Fades
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
The inch per gallon rule is not a correct statement.
It really depends on

1. amount of ammonia released from the fish

2. the fish's temperament, the less aggresive the more you can have.

3. if the fish is territorial (aggresion and territorial are differant things)

4. How well cycled your tank is

I think you could do with 5 corys, and maybe two other centerpeice fish like the bolivian rams.
If not the rams there are some cool rainbowfish out there.

Cool. Thanks for the correction.

sheamurai
09-30-2009, 12:47 AM
don't rainbows need a school? If not I would have gotten some for my own tank!

Lab_Rat
09-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Rainbows do need a school.

I would add a centerpiece fish such as a pearl gourami or dwarf gourami to the tank.

Nobodynotime
09-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the current stocking, you have approximately 25" of fish for your 33g. Leaving only about 8" of fish to be fully stocked.

I agree that a school of Cories would be great, but with the need of at least 6 Cories, that would add 12" of fish.

Probably want to find a new home for the Black Mollies or Saffron Mollies, then the tank could accomodate the Cories.
I'd have to disagree because the fish currently stocked are all on the small side. I think it could support a school of cory no problem.

But depending on the sex of the mollys you may need a fish for population control of fry. I have a dwarf gourami for that in my livebearer for that.

T Fades
09-30-2009, 03:00 AM
I'd have to disagree because the fish currently stocked are all on the small side. I think it could support a school of cory no problem.

But depending on the sex of the mollys you may need a fish for population control of fry. I have a dwarf gourami for that in my livebearer for that.

I was under the impresssion that when considering tank load, it is vital to consider not the size of the fish as of now, but to consider the size of the fish when fully matured.

Again, I may be wrong, I am the new fish after all.

lmgiles88
09-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Off to the LFS on Friday to have a good look at what they've got and then decide where to go from there. Will keep you posted!

Deleted User
09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Excited to hear what you came home with! It is so much fun stocking a tank!!!

lmgiles88
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey guys. Ok, i popped to the LFS today and totally fell in love with yoyo (pakistani) loaches. Really want some so bad its crazy.

They also had some really nice looking Dwarf Gouramis in there.

I was a good boy and stuck to not buying on impulse, at least not until I had spoken to fine people again.

Any problems with adding these to my 33g below? Obviously not at the same time!

Ta!

sheamurai
10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm a fan of dwarf gourami's, personally. I have 1 in two of my community tanks - great for fry control too.
No opinion on yoyo-loaches, I've never had any...
WTG on not buying while you were there! I still haven't completely house-trained myself on that yet...end up returning fish which is a little embarrassing...

Faith_at_Large
10-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I was under the impresssion that when considering tank load, it is vital to consider not the size of the fish as of now, but to consider the size of the fish when fully matured.

Again, I may be wrong, I am the new fish after all.

It is very important to consider the adult size of the fish in your tank, unless you are using your tank as a starting point for a bigger tank that you either already have waiting, or intend to have by the time your fish are mature.

And you may also consider the body type of the fish - Zebra Danios are not only small even when mature, but also thin and narrow when compared to Mollies which are much rounder/bulker even when they are the same length as a Zebra Danio. My understanding is that you could have more Zebra Danios in a tank than Mollies, even if the adult length were the same.