PDA

View Full Version : Marine Ich Help!

Harls
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, my clown has just come out in white spots and is scratching. It's my first salwater fish and i only got him yesterday and theres already a problem! Whats the best way to treat him?

Any help appreciated.

Harls

UnknownFish
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Are there any inverts in the tank?

UnknownFish
09-29-2009, 01:03 PM
If you have a quarantine tank set up you can dose with a copper based treatment, or you can do a hyposalinity treatment in a quarantine tank, doing the hyposalinity treatment takes about 14 days. You can find alot of information by doing a search on marine ich on google or other search engines, before you treat for ich make sure it is ich and not velvet as velvet has another treatment altogether.

Harls
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
No, but its 11PM at night so i don't have any meds avaliable at the moment, the article i'm reading at the moment suggests freshwater dip? yes? no?
Harls

UnknownFish
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
You can do a freshwater dip but just make sure that you get the ph about the same as your tank with a buffer.

When doing freshwater dip, dip for 5-10 minutes and keep an eye on the fish, if you see any stress take him out and put back in the tank, you can do this everyday until you see tat the ich is gone.

Harls
09-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Whats the difference between dust and spots!?

Harls
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
OK, i think its actually velvet, i'm gonna do a FW dip.

UnknownFish
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Hope your fish gets better, I have a hippo tang that constantly gets ich, my buddy has had a cleaner wrasse in his tank and he got out of the hobby and he gave me it, since i have added the cleaner wrasse to my tank I havent seen any ich on my tang in a week, alot of people say that the cleaner wrasse doesnt do well in a aquarium but my buddy had it for a year and it eats cyclop-eeze and copepods that are in the tank and all the other fish in the tank always line up and get cleaned daily, it is really a site to see.

Harls
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
cool, those things are awesome, he is in the FW now, i can see some white particles on the bottom of the container so thats a good thing. SO i should get some copper med tomorrow? I don;t have a quarantine tank though...

UnknownFish
09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I wouldnt personally do the copper in the main tank, if you have live rock in there you will never be able to get all the cooper out and if you add inverts later it will kill them, I would just do the fresh water dip until you dont see anymore ich on the fish and then just keep an eye on him.

UnknownFish
09-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Good luck, I will be back in a lil bit its breakfast time for my fish.

Harls
09-29-2009, 01:38 PM
OK, he has had his dip, about 8-10 mins, he seems more relaxed, but whats my next move? This is my first saltwater fish and don;t want to kill him within a week when i've done nothing wrong... Or have I? tell me if I did...

Harls
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm going to bed, i'lll give you an update in the morning. Any more comments are appreciated.

UnknownFish
09-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Hows your fish doing today?