PDA

View Full Version : My Ciclids--Names??

A1cntrler
04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I know the first photo are Peacocks. You can see the female (holding eggs) hiding amongst the plant in the back. Also in there is a pair of these orange ones--not sure what kind they are, but bought the Peacocks and them at a very reputable large lfs a little while back.

Fishguy2727
04-04-2007, 12:49 AM
I don't see any peacocks, all mbunas. A better pic of the holding female and she may be a peacock.

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 01:43 AM
i agree with reptileguy, although the one on the right kinda resembles a red zebra

Fishguy2727
04-04-2007, 01:49 AM
The zebras are mbunas.

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 01:52 AM
The zebras are mbunas.

My brain had a dumb moment there. I figured zebras were africans for a minute.

A1cntrler
04-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Maybe the guy at the fish store was talking about Peacocks when we were looking at that tank, but he was also trying to explain about Mbunas at the same time.. So what it the blue/yellow that I thought was a peacock, and what is a peacock??

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 02:04 AM
no offense to anyone, but 75% of pet stores dont know what the hell theyre talking about

Fishguy2727
04-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Peacocks are usually of the Aulonocara genus. They are deeper down in Lake Malawi (the same lake that hosts mbunas and the open water 'haps') where the rockwork meets the sandy bottom. The best way to tell the difference (with a trained eye) is that the eyes of the peacocks are proportionally much larger (due to their deep water, low-light habitat). They are predators of small invertebrates that live in the sand, their lateral line system is highly developed, especially on the face, and allows them to 'feel' those inverts moving under the sand. They are much less aggressive than the mbunas and in my opinion shoudl not be mixed. If you look in my photobucket page in my signature you can see most of my peacocks in ym 150.

Mbunas live in the rockwork just under the surface, feeding on the algae on the rocks (as well as any microfauna within the algae). There are variations from this, but this is the norm. They are extremely aggressive and territorial.

The actual identification of most African cichlids is a challenge. The blue one with black bars and yellow dorsal and caudal fins reminds me of one of my zebras. The actual identification is not important, what is important is whether it is a mbuna, as opposed to a peacock or open water 'hap'. That is definitely a mbuna and so far all the others in your tank seem to be as well.

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 02:18 AM
^^^^^^^^^ exactly what he said. great advice

A1cntrler
04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the answers. It is all making sense to me now. The LFS I go to is called Animal Jungle. It is the size of a large grocery store, and half of it is nothing but aquariums and fish and related items. The rest is brids/cats/dogs/mammals/reptiles, etc.. This store has been here for as long as I can remember. They even offer classes on fish care. When I was there to get my ciclids I started out with one guy when I was getting a few new plants, and then I asked him about ciclids and I was handed over to thier ciclid guy, who it turns out has had ciclids since he was 6. He is trying to set up an intro to ciclids class here pretty soon if he gets enough interest. My brother who lives 2.5 hours away from me comes down here to get his fish, as every other local store near him is the clown puke gravel/tattooed/injected fish, with the exception of Petsmart, and that is usually hit or miss on quality.. I think my lfs is great.

As long as they are all mbunas I am happy. I need to work on some rock structure for them though. It is my sons tank, and I am not happy with what he chooses to put in it. (I get to take care of the tank as he is only 4) He pcked out some type of a sunken battle ship in it. I prefer natural surroundings for my fish. The boat is pretty good for the fish though, as it has lots of holes/nooks/crannies for them to go in and out of. These fish fit into some pretty small holes. It is entertaining to see them lay on thier sides and shimmy into one hole and dart out another..

Cichlid_Man
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi,
Not sure about these fish but I have some ideas.
The first could be a cross bred Acei/cobalt blue?
Or, if it is full bred, possibly a Pseudotropheus avanti (Male)

The yellow/orange one could be Aulonocara Gold or a Melanochromis johanni (Female), all Malawis.
Just a thought.

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Must admit, I thought they looked like peacocks to.

There are so many cool looking cichlids, but so expensive where I live, eg. AU$25 for a small elec yellow, AU$25 for a small oscar (though just 60mile away AU$10) and to top it off, the very shop that told me 3 months ago, they could not give away convicts, now have them for $9.50.

by the way, don't know what type of fish scats come under, but how does AU$80 for a mature one sound, and it was sold with a $40 deposit.

Cichlid_Man
04-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow!
That IS expensive for those fish!

I am really not sure what they are but I posted my best guess anyway :-)

Fishguy2727
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
The orange one looks like a 'red zebra', not a peacock (Aulonocara spp.).

A1cntrler
04-07-2007, 01:50 AM
I saw some peacocks yesterday. I went to my brothers house about 2 hours away to visit for a little bit and checked out his new ciclid tank. He had never had ciclids until I was telling him about mine, and then he went out and started putting them into his 55 gal after he evicted his tropical community. He had gone to Petsmart and spent about 140 bucks on fish/ Ciclid salt and Malawi buffer (Seachem brand). He got a good assortment of Mbunas, and two he wasn't sure of, but thier large eyes gave them away. We went back to Petsmart and he showed me the tank they came out of, and they were peacocks. They seem to be getting along fine for now as they are all about the same size. Wll this be a problem later on as they get larger?? Will he need to move the peacocks to his 125 gal with his Oscars and are they even compatiable??

Fishguy2727
04-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Not with the oscars. Water chemistry is completely different. The peacocks need the salts and buffers just as much as the mbunas. Anything from Lake Malawi should not be mixed with anything from anywhere else. In general mbunas are too aggressive for peacocks. If they are doing fine they are doing fine, but frequently even in an all mbuna tank one or a few of the mbunas will begin to outgrow the others and pick on them. And a peacock has no chance with an aggressive, dominant male mbuna. My suggestion is to pick one or the other ( I would go with peacocks) and since he has almost all mbunas, maybe taking the peacocks back would be the best thing to prevent unnecessary damage to the peacocks.

cocoa_pleco
04-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Mbunas have a reputation for bad behavior like reptileguy said. My auratus hasnt been violent yet, but they are very dominant and protective of their territory. In the wild, they can easily get preyed upon so they dont take chances.

Peacocks are a better option