PDA

View Full Version : Water change and algae again

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Why is it that my tank is crystal clear until I do a water change (planted tank) and doing so gives me an algae bloom by the next morning? This has happened both times I've changed the water since planting it?

I thought the first time it was due to trace ammonia in the tank but this time there was none. I do large water changes so possibly doing too much for a planted tank?

Everyday is a whole new adventure!

marek313
04-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Just guessing here but you might have ammonia and phosphates in your tap water. Doing large water change will increase one or both of these in the tank giving algea chance to take off. You might want to test your tap water. I know I have phosphates in my tap water which I wish I didnt have.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Ya know, I have never tested once for phosphates but I do have pretty hard water. I have tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, tho and get 0. I may have to slow down on the amount of water changes I do to this tank. Go to 30 percent instead of 50 percent. I generally do large changes as I have an angel in this tank.

Chrona
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Yep, I agree with Marek. Possibly high iron content as well, but there isn't really any way to test that save looking up local water stats online.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 04:42 PM
The last time this happened, I turned my bubbler off for one day. Whether this helped clear it up or it was just the time span to straighten it out, I have no idea. Only happens in this planted tank.

Chrona
04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
The last time this happened, I turned my bubbler off for one day. Whether this helped clear it up or it was just the time span to straighten it out, I have no idea. Only happens in this planted tank.

bubbler = air pump or CO2?

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 05:21 PM
I just stopped the CO2 for a day.

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Keep the co2 on, it helps inhibit algae growth, and if you do have a regular air bubbler, for Gilligan's sake turn it off!!

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I have no air bubbler and have removed the bio-wheels. I keep the water high up in the tank so no surface bubbles are there and filter runs quiet.

Had I to do this all over again, I probably wouldn't have planted this tank. My thought at the time was if I screw up too badly, it's easier to tear apart a small tank with less fish to move. But when you think of it and take everything into consideration, the money you put into a small tank doesn't justifiy he means. The proper lighting will cost more than the tank really and to me, this almost borders on stupid. LOL

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I have no air bubbler and have removed the bio-wheels. I keep the water high up in the tank so no surface bubbles are there and filter runs quiet.

Had I to do this all over again, I probably wouldn't have planted this tank. My thought at the time was if I screw up too badly, it's easier to tear apart a small tank with less fish to move. But when you think of it and take everything into consideration, the money you put into a small tank doesn't justifiy he means. The proper lighting will cost more than the tank really and to me, this almost borders on stupid. LOL

Hmm, we're encroaching on your devotion to the world of planted tanks already, hobbs?:help:

marek313
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I dont know exactly how many plants and fish you have in there but if your ammonia,nitrite,nitrate stay low then maybe smaller water changes might be the way to go. Most of the time everyone does WCs to clear up water but if your water is clean and all you do is introduce additional unnecessary nutrients then you should do smaller WCs. In my case I have high phosphates in my tank and on top of that I have phosphates in my tap so I have to do 50% WC just lower my phosphates to acceptable level. If it wasnt for that I dont think I'll be doing it as often or as large. Unless you have some very dememnding plants that need specific water conditions they should be fine. All plants act as filter for the fish the to clear up nitates and as long as they grow and fish are healthy I dont see a reason for excesive WCs.
Like i always say you are the only one that can figure out the right balance and if 25% WC works better then do that. I'm sure with all those plants your fish wont be harmed.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I do large water changes basically because I have angels. In this particular tank, however, I only have one large angel and tetras.