PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on salt mixes...

Sarkazmo
09-28-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm thinking of setting up a 10G Nano Reef and I was wondering what would be the best salt mix for an aquarium of this size and type. So I'm asking for opinions on salt mixes and any suggestions for a simple but attractive nano reef from those who have the experience.

Sark

labnjab
09-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I, and most people I know locally use plain old instant ocean. I use been using it in 2 reefs, and one is over a year old and I've been having great results. You may have to supplement magnesium, which doesn't cost much, but all in all its a great salt and cheap

MCHRKiller
09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I have used quite a few mixes in the past, always had algae problems with Instant Ocean, Coralife and Reef Crystals....IMO they contain traces of nitrate and phosphate. I have on the other hand had practically algae free results with Oceanic salt as well as Seachem salt. Personally for a small tank you probably want to keep things simple and not get to much into dosing, Seachem Reef salt is a great option, its like 2-3bucks more for a 50G mix...honestly probably the best salt mix Ive used as it disolves almost instantly as well as being higher in calcium and natural buffers than alot out there:22:

Sarkazmo
09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok, great input so far, anyone else have any opinions on mixes? How about tips for a nano reef?

Sark

MCHRKiller
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Invest in top quality live rock, Ive bought cheaper grade LR in the past and also had hosts of algae issues. Most LFS sadly dont stock good live rock, they sell half dead boat rock. If your LR is covered in brown and green algae with very minimal to no coraline....dont waste your time buying it. Also look fo rock that is extremely porous as this rock will contain the most potential for harvesting bacteria.

Also dont skimp on a protein skimmer, there are alot of internal jobs and airpump operated skimmers out there as well as HOB filters that claim to skim but honestly dont do enough to warrent their cost. For a 10G about the best skimmer you can get is an Aqua C Remora Nano.

Miltonic
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Many people recommend that you don't skimp on anything with a reef tank and salt is one of them. If you decide to use IO you are skimping on a salt that is not suitable for reef tank since it doesn't contain the necessary amount of minerals and trace minerals needed by the corals to grow and thrive. Im not telling you to choose the most expensive salt but go for one that is reasonably priced like the ones Mchr recommended or go with higher end ones since with a that small tank a bucket will last a long time. I personally use Tropic Marine Pro Reef salt and the results I've had with in my reef simply speak for themselves and I absolutely don't have to dose anything to get great growth and color with my corals.

Owlbehere
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey Sark I'm really glad you started this thread... I have been wanting to look into a nano. This is helpful ;)

Rue
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I've been using Ocean Pure...but I think my supplier might be getting out of them...not sure what his next recommendation will be.

Ocean Pure has been great so far...I'll have to find out why he's not stocking it anymore (if that's the case)...

MonkeyPox
09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I've had success with Seachem's salt, but the stores around here have stopped stocking it, so I've switched to Instant Ocean. I've noticed no ill effects, though I would still stick with Seachem if the option were easily available.

kaybee
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
...I was wondering what would be the best salt mix for an aquarium of this size and type....

The best salt for your tank will depend on the requirements and consumption rates of your corals. Determining which brand is ultimately best for your tank depends on the well-being and growth of your corals and your water parameters (pH, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, etc) as related to the salt you are using. It may take some experimenting to find which brand works best for you.

You can counter any deficiencies in particular a salt mix by using or adjusting any additives (Part A/B type solutions, etc) you may use. In another scenario, the right salt mix may eliminate or minimize the need of any additive utilization.

tim k
09-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I started out using Instant Ocean and it was okay , I switched to Reef Crystal to help raise my Calcium level and it has been great.
I dose nothing and maintain my levels by doing simple weekly water changes.
All my coral , fish and Inverts are doing very well.

Tim k

melbfish20
11-08-2009, 06:43 AM
does anyone use or have an opinion on red sea salt ?

AABatteries
11-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Never used Reef Crystals, but I would get it. I had a horrible experience with Instant Ocean. And Reef Crystals is a bit better than it. And... the most important thing, I think Dave uses it. :mrgreen:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-16-2009, 01:20 AM
OK, so I'm getting in a little late on this one. I've used nothing but Oceanic since the beginning and have had wonderful results with it. My only complaint that I've had is low hardness, this however has been easily overcome as I drip buffer using a Kalk.