PDA

View Full Version : Oscar acting weird

TehTANK
04-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I have 2 Oscars. One I have had for 2 years now and is pretty large. The second I have had for almost 1 year and is getting big but is medium size. Normally they are both very active fish. Swimming around and enjoying their 90 gallon tank. The tank I have had for a while and have been able to keep everything really consistant in regards to my PH and Nitrates and what not. Anyway, 2 days ago I noticed my larger oscar (bubba) laying around on the bottom. He wasn't swimming around very much and he is not eating. He seems to be gasping for air. Now I have checked to see if there are any problems physically with him and there isn't anything I can see. My smaller oscar(Lucky) has been laying around a bit too but still comes up to eat and greats me at the glass. He is not gasping for air at all. I plan on doing a cleaning and water change tomorrow(Wednesday). Any ideas of what might be going on. I haven't been able to check my water because I work 2 jobs but it has been extreamly consistant every since I have had the tank. So I am pretty sure that things are as they should be. I am just worried about my beloved Bubba Fish.

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Ive seen that at my lfs. They just lay down even if theyre healthy. As long as he eats, i think hes fine.

Abbeys_Mom
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a parasite or HITH. My Oscar had HITH twice. The first symptoms I noticed was hiding at the back of the tank and not eating.

TehTANK
04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
You know I have been checking for that. I have noticed it might be coming in but I feed them NLS and do regular water changes. I will have to double check on that but I really hope it isn't HITH

TehTANK
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I guess no one likes my posts....I always get the shortest and least responces. ANYWAY, I know it isn't HITH. My Oscar looks slimy. He seems to have some type of slime all over him that air bubbles are sticking to and what not. That is how I noticed it last night. What is the best treatment to help him? I am going to have to pick something up tonight for him so If I could get some help today that would be great.

Nautilus291
04-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Honestly I dont like using medications at all. Go and get some melafix or even better whatever the same stuff that starts with a P primafix or something like that. Anyways there natural.

melafix treats outside problems like fin rot and sores. primafix I think treats internal problems.

TehTANK
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks, That is probably what I am going to get tonight. I need to make my fish better...I would cry if I lost him. He is my buddy.....

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2007, 01:48 PM
use melafix and pimafix mixed, theyre meant for that. It should help your oscar.

TehTANK
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Well I picked up some melafix and pimafix last night and put it in after a really good cleaning of everything and a water change. Hopefully this will turn things around. Will this stuff fix HITH?

Thanks,

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Hope everything turns out Ok for him, it is unreal, there has been a couple of people on since my nephews oscar, with similar probs, like there has been some sort of sudden outbreak of something with oscars.

TehTANK
04-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree. It is really weird. Does anyone know though if melafix and pimafix will cure HITH?

cocoa_pleco
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
apparently it does. Now, ive noticed at my lfs's, there is really expensive hole-in-the-head medicine thats only made for HITH, and its 25 bucks. If its a bad HITH case, get something strong and directly for HITH. If its just in the beginning stages, use melafix and pimafix.

I cant stand HITH. why cant it just abolish from the earth. I lost my favorite angel to the darn disease.

TehTANK
04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
It seems to be the start of it. It isn't super bad yet but it could get there I am sure. So I am using the melafix and pimafix right now. If it gets any worse I am going to have to go get that stuff just for HITH.

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Did you read the article sandigger put in my thread, it was a great article, it leaned more toward using vitamins to cure it, the person who wrote the article actually cured her oscar. She stopped using melafix and continued with the vitamins

http://www.flippersandfins.net/HITHarticle2.htm

TehTANK
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Sure did and it is a great article. Thanks for posting it again.

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
The sudden thing with sick oscars makes me very protective of mine, he/she? is an albino named Leroy, I named him this cause he is so placid and laidback, he will follow us past when we walk past the new big tank, and loves us to stop and rub on the glass near him (like a pat through the glass).

TehTANK
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
The sudden thing with sick oscars makes me very protective of mine, he/she? is an albino named Leroy, I named him this cause he is so placid and laidback, he will follow us past when we walk past the new big tank, and loves us to stop and rub on the glass near him (like a pat through the glass).

That is so cute! I love oscars because of reasons like that. I hope my 2 make it through all this....:(