PDA

View Full Version : New to Aquariums and Doing a Fish-in Cycle.

Fraulein D. Hatter
09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm a friend of Lolita's and new to AC.

I'm doing a Fish-In Cycle with My Betta and the ammonia level right now after a water change is 0.25.

I just wanted to know if this was normal after the change, today it almost spiked to a 1.0.

I need all the help I can get because I love my fish and I really want to have a happy, and healthy Aquarium for him.

SkyBaby
09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I recommend pulling out your betta and keeping him in a temporary tank and doing a fishless cycle. It is healthier for your fish that way and will also cycle much faster. I've honestly never tried a fish in cycle. I've only ever done the fishless cycle. I can give you all kinds of info and links to helpful websites if you want to do that. Good luck!

rich311k
09-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Keep doing changes and keep the ammonia and soon the nitrites under .5 ppm. Eventually the tank will stabilze at 0-0. Test everryday and keep up the water changes.

Red
09-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I would do a waterchange everyday to keep it healthy for your fish.

Fraulein D. Hatter
09-29-2009, 08:30 AM
I've been doing daily water changes with my Betta. And for the most part he seems really happy. He's got all of this room to swim around, and plants he plays in.

He lost a lot of his body color after the first day of putting him in, But now he seems to be fine.

How long does it usually take to get the ammonia level down to a stable 0-0?

You guys are so helpful, and THANK YOU so much!

Neon
09-29-2009, 08:42 AM
wilkommen Fraulein in AC !!!:22:

MonkeyPox
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
How long it takes can vary from a week to several weeks. For a single betta, I wouldn't suspect it would take very long.

To speed things up, you may want to consider an additive such as Seachem Stability.

Fraulein D. Hatter
09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
I'll be patient then. My friend Lolita sent me some Stability for my Aquarium them.

For the most part he's quite happy in his Aquarium, and is used to the daily water changes. He'll reside at the top until I scoop him out.

Faith_at_Large
10-01-2009, 06:46 PM
If you have a filter in your tank and you are close to your friend, you might want to borrow some used filter media to seed your tank to speed things up.

My first ten gallon tank was cycled with a fish, and it was horrible for the fish. Danios are supposed to be the most resilient fish, but even so, he died not long after the tank was cycled.

Bettas can be kept in a tank without a filter, but filters and heaters (in cooler regions) are a good idea.

The advice you have already been given is good too. But by keeping your fish healthy with frequent water changes is going to slow down the cycle process. But still better than hurting your Betta. Test frequently with a good test kit to so that you can watch for the spikes at each stage. (Test for Ammonia, but also Nitrites and Nitrates). Once everything has spiked and consistently reading at zero, then your tank should be fine.

Fraulein D. Hatter
10-07-2009, 05:19 AM
UPDATE AS OF 10/6/09

After peforming a Nitrite/Nitrate/pH Test, I've found out that the levels are down to Zero.

As is my Ammonia. I think I've successfully performed a Fish-In Cycle.

King Chopin is quite happy in his Aquarium now.
<3

Lolita
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Eee!! So exciting! =D I know you already told me earlier, lol, but when I saw this I had to congradulate you again!! :l24:

Fraulein D. Hatter
10-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Thank you my lovey love <3