PDA

View Full Version : I think my goldfish are mating - uh oh!

Myke
09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi guys,

Just so you all know, my last situation has been resolved and they're back to normal.
However- I have now noticed two fish pecking the largest fish, and by doing what I can see on the internet, I am 80% sure that "she" is female. They are pecking behind the anal fin.

Now, if she so does become pregnant, what should I do?! My mum said something about her friend when she was younger having an "egg basket" which floated at the top stopping the fish from eating the eggs...

Any ideas what I can do? I can't get another tank, I'm not even sure if anything will come of it, but incase, it would be nice to know.

Cheers :)

VoidParadigm
09-26-2009, 05:17 PM
If you don't want or can't keep baby fish then don't worry about it. Just let them eat the eggs. Chances are if it's their first spawn he won't fertilize them properly anyways.

That "box" is probably a breeder net she's talking about, able to picked up at most fish shops. If you want the eggs put them in there, but watch out for fungus - which will kill the eggs. Really, without a second tank it's useless to try to hatch the eggs, though.

Myke
09-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Void - great help :)

VoidParadigm
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Also; The filter may become clogged if they eat the eggs. If they spawn (then eat) clean the filter and change some of the water a day or two afterwards.

Myke
09-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Oki doki, cheers! :)

Myke
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
It has only just become clear that the day this was posted, my goldfish laid eggs.

She has a cloudy thing on her eye - but I've googled and it seems to be normal after breeding, she likes it rough, clearly ;)

Anyway, the eggs, they're all in a corner, in a plant. Most are white. Some sites say they are supposed to be, others say they are dead, others say wait two weeks, some say wait a few days for them to start swimming.... any idea?!?

They are just tiny little white balls, some look a little yellow, like polystyrene... help?! Please? My friend was telling me about a tank divider you can get to seperate the fish from the eggs... any idea?

megastealer
09-29-2009, 05:46 AM
It has only just become clear that the day this was posted, my goldfish laid eggs.

She has a cloudy thing on her eye - but I've googled and it seems to be normal after breeding, she likes it rough, clearly ;)

Anyway, the eggs, they're all in a corner, in a plant. Most are white. Some sites say they are supposed to be, others say they are dead, others say wait two weeks, some say wait a few days for them to start swimming.... any idea?!?

They are just tiny little white balls, some look a little yellow, like polystyrene... help?! Please? My friend was telling me about a tank divider you can get to seperate the fish from the eggs... any idea?

A tank divider would work fine. They sell them at any pet store. I know I've seen them for all tank sizes at petsmart.

Keep in mind though that fry are very sensitive and need pristine conditions to survive. No ammonia, no nitrites, and very low nitrates. So if you don't have a cycled tank to raise them by themselves in, they will likely die anyway, and there isn't much point in stopping your goldfish from eating the eggs if you can't raise them or give the eggs to someone who can.

Myke
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
cheers mega, what if i was to put them in a tank on their own with clear water??

Owlbehere
09-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Also; The filter may become clogged if they eat the eggs. If they spawn (then eat) clean the filter and change some of the water a day or two afterwards.
How does this clog the filter?

Lady Hobbs
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Myke, I've never had goldfish but I don't understand why any fish would get cloudy eyes because they spawned. Are you sure she doesn't have the beginning of pop eye? Keep a close eye on her and if the eye doesn't improve, get some fungal medications for her.

PS...It looks like I edited your post but I didn't. I meant to hit quote and hit edit. oops

Myke
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
White film on eyes.
Eye Cloud
Eye injury.
From handling or breeder fighting.
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Common-Freshwater-Fish-Diseases/13/

It's gone today so yeah :)

Cheers Lady Hobbs :)

Myke
10-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi, sorry for the double post ... it's been a week, and nothing seems to have changed, most of the eggs have gone... I think it's safe to say none were fertilised? or they were eaten?

Is it ok for me to hoover the gravel?