PDA

View Full Version : Found some Cherry Shrimp

KINGMED
09-26-2009, 01:40 AM
The local petstore where I buy my fish most of the time has only 2 large cherry shrimp in his tank and they both are bright red with one with a belly of eggs. I am picking both of them up tomorrow to go into my 29 gallon with the other large female and a bunch of babies which are growing like crazy. They are only 1.10 each so I asked him to save them for me and he said O.K., they will be there. Question some of my babies are quite large (4-5 of them) and the rest which is 5-6 or still pretty small, is this because the larger ones are females?

korith
09-26-2009, 02:34 AM
The local petstore where I buy my fish most of the time has only 2 large cherry shrimp in his tank and they both are bright red with one with a belly of eggs. I am picking both of them up tomorrow to go into my 29 gallon with the other large female and a bunch of babies which are growing like crazy. They are only 1.10 each so I asked him to save them for me and he said O.K., they will be there. Question some of my babies are quite large (4-5 of them) and the rest which is 5-6 or still pretty small, is this because the larger ones are females?

The females are larger and will be redder in color. Some males may not even show any red color at all. If you get any with eggs be sure to acclimate it to your tank slowly. Sometimes when you move a female rcs to a new tank, it will drop all the eggs. Keep good water conditions and in a few months, you won't even be able to count/guess how many rcs are in the tank.

KINGMED
09-26-2009, 02:46 AM
The females are larger and will be redder in color. Some males may not even show any red color at all. If you get any with eggs be sure to acclimate it to your tank slowly. Sometimes when you move a female rcs to a new tank, it will drop all the eggs. Keep good water conditions and in a few months, you won't even be able to count/guess how many rcs are in the tank.Hey thanks, ya my water is checked every week and 20-30% change each week also, it's been set up for over a year now closer to 1.5 yrs. To acclimate are you saying float the bag for aprox. 30 minutes in the tank and then slowly pour a little of the tank water in the bag for another 10-15 minutes?

korith
09-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Hey thanks, ya my water is checked every week and 20-30% change each week also, it's been set up for over a year now closer to 1.5 yrs. To acclimate are you saying float the bag for aprox. 30 minutes in the tank and then slowly pour a little of the tank water in the bag for another 10-15 minutes?

Yep that will work. Or you can try drip acclimating, basically a drop every few seconds, more of a gradual process. You probably don't have to float the bag so long, just till the temps get close. The wild turkey had a post explaining it over in the diy section http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=39559

KINGMED
09-26-2009, 03:03 AM
I think when I brought home my female shrimp from that fish place / that pet place, I just floated for a long time and then dipped the bag into the water and let the water merge and then let her out, she did just fine.

KINGMED
09-27-2009, 01:46 AM
got the shrimp today, instead of two there were 3, it looks like there might be 2 females for certain and the other one looks if I'm not mistaken to be a male, it is about the same size as the other two but not red at all and the other two are pretty red to redish pink. I'm really exited because I can now just sit back keep the tank quality in good shape and just watch my population grow. I figure I have at least 6-8 females minimum and 5-6 males, I figure I'll let them populate in the 29 gallon for a year or so and then start seperating them into my 3 5 gallon tanks little by little, and maybe sell some not to make much profit but to pay eventually for the fish food and water conditioner, or help with the cost anyways.