PDA

View Full Version : Stress from a new tank?

Lolita
09-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi all!

So my friend got her tank yesterday and set it up. She let the water filter for a day and let it heat up. She did everything just like I told her to do, and was very careful about it.

Just a little while ago, she put her betta into the water. She said at first he swam around and explored, and now he's just hanging out at the bottom of the tank looking a little paler than before.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2e0mqfm.jpg

Her ammonia is .25, but she doesn't have a test for nitrates or nitrites yet--though I'm thinking since she JUST put him in the water, those can't be more than 0 yet, right? She is using dechlorinated water.

Is he just stressed from the move from his bowl to the new tank? That's what I figured it was, but I wanted to ask the experts before ruling anything out.

She's doing a fish-in cycle with him so that he doesn't have to live in an uncycled bowl during the cycling process.

Also, has anyone here ever used Seachem's Stability during fish-in cycling? Does it work as well as people say?

Thanks!

Edit: Lol she fed him a couple pellets and apparently he's swimming around just as much as before again... xD I think my poor friend is just nervous about something terrible happening to her fish in the new tank. LOL

rich311k
09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
He is probably just getting used to things. A water change would not hurt though.

Lolita
09-25-2009, 11:29 PM
He is probably just getting used to things. A water change would not hurt though.

Thanks! That's what I figured too, this is just her first tank ever so she's nervous about everything and I'm not there to actually see anything since she lives halfway across the country.

BirdOfPray
09-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I used Seachem Stability and it worked for me with no problem. The tank was fully cycled within a week, and the tank is now stocked per my signature. I haven't had any deaths or seen any ammonia/nitrite spikes since I got the tank cycled in August. I was pretty skeptical (spent 8 weeks trying to do a normal fishless cycle before I finally tried Stability), but I'm now a believer.