PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Orandas

Chazbot
09-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey folks!

I have a friend who has three very young Orandas. They have all started showing signs of swim bladder problems. She says that they are eating normally but are having a LOT of trouble swimming - one even floats on her back. She's used words like "spiraling out of control" and has one that can't get to the bottom of the tank at all.

This is a line from an email she sent me -

"Thing is, it's not just floating - it's this horrible spiraling and somersaulting. And seeming inability to get nose down and stay that way. Other than THAT relatively normal."

She's pretty sure this is all due to breeding, but her problem is that she doesn't know what to do. Is this something that is just due to breeding issues and body shape? Will it pass or...?

She says constipation is not an issue, they have a varied diet and their tank is cycled (although I don't know exact params).

Can anyone help?

Chazbot
09-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I forgot to mention that there is also a Ranchu in this tank - but he seems ok.

VoidParadigm
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
How big is the tank?

Only spiraling fish I've ever seen die a few days afterwards. Sorry.

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I've had this very thing happen when I brought a new Oranda home. He stopped doing it after about 3 weeks. We named him "Red Baron" after the flying ace because all he did was barrel roll while he swam. I haven't seen him do it in six months or so.

Oh, and I have a large Veil Tail Black Moor that has scared the crap out of me several times by sleeping on his back at the bottom of the tank.

It may just be a quirk they have and will grow out of it.

Chazbot
09-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks folks!

Right now she has them in a five gallon tank. They're just babies. I've got some Platy fry that are about the same size at 2 months old. She's got a 55 that she'll be moving them to when they're bigger.

Chazbot
09-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I just got her params for the tank too -

ammonia = 0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = 8

Chazbot
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
One more thing -

My friend is telling me that these little ones weren't doing this when she first got them, it seems to have begun as they've grown a bit and the body shape has become more "exaggerated."

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Sounds to me like "puberty"...:hmm3grin2orange:

They just may be growing a bit faster than they can adjust to. Your perameters are fine, and if the fish aren't in distress - I'd just keep an eye on them for a bit. I think you'll find it works itself out.