PDA

View Full Version : Tiger barb disaster!

aslam14.85
09-25-2009, 05:28 PM
hey all... i recently got 2 pairs of tiger barbs for my gold gourami tank... everything was pretty peaceful for about a week...until one of my barbs seems to have gone beserk...he chases all the other fish around and even has a go at my pleco, who is obviously unmoved and stands his ground :)
The confusing part is that i'm not sure if the beserk barb is an aggressive male...do all males have to have red noses? all my barbs have the red stripe on their dorsal fins and their stripes are now metallic green! however, only one of the barbs sports the deep red nose...!!!! i'm confused...
does this mean that the local aquarium had accidently sold me 4 male barbs? or is this one female barb going beserk? oh and i also witness a fight i think...two barbs( beserk and another) facing each other and they turned blackish...had a go at each other and not they are back to chasing each other...
what the heck is going on? will this end up fatal? :) :sconfused:

rich311k
09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds like you need four more barbs, the red nose would indicate a male.

aslam14.85
09-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you need four more barbs, the red nose would indicate a male.

you meant to say i need four more female barbs right?

the red nosed male runs the hell away from the beserk one (who is also the biggest of the barbs)... just witnessed another "fight" although no one seems to be injured. I read somewhere that tiger barbs will often fight for pecking order and alpha status.perhaps this is the case?

i have some hurriedly taken pictures but i have no idea how to upload them to this message :) relatively new here

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree with Rich. I think some of the stress is coming from being such a small group. I think Barbs like to be in groups of 8 or so.

They do bicker for a pecking order, but that usually doesn't last too long.

aslam14.85
09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
thanks for the help guys, i got four more barbs and things are back to norma now:):19:

Northernguy
09-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Wheres the pics?thumbs2: :hmm3grin2orange:

cfgsteak
09-27-2009, 05:18 PM
thanks for the help guys, i got four more barbs and things are back to norma now:):19:

That is awesome, 8 seems like a perfect number of Tigers. Glad everyone is happy again! I had 6 tiger barbs and added 2 more last week and that seemed to make a huge difference for me too.

simonyee
11-06-2009, 11:14 PM
hey all... i recently got 2 pairs of tiger barbs for my gold gourami tank... everything was pretty peaceful for about a week...until one of my barbs seems to have gone beserk...he chases all the other fish around and even has a go at my pleco, who is obviously unmoved and stands his ground :)
The confusing part is that i'm not sure if the beserk barb is an aggressive male...do all males have to have red noses? all my barbs have the red stripe on their dorsal fins and their stripes are now metallic green! however, only one of the barbs sports the deep red nose...!!!! i'm confused...
does this mean that the local aquarium had accidently sold me 4 male barbs? or is this one female barb going beserk? oh and i also witness a fight i think...two barbs( beserk and another) facing each other and they turned blackish...had a go at each other and not they are back to chasing each other...
what the heck is going on? will this end up fatal? :) :sconfused:

Hi Fish have a hirarchy 'pecking order'

after a while it will stop even among them selves but remember that certain fish cannot and will not go along like gold fish and barbs.

took me a few weeks to decide to remove them from the main tank after one of them lost a tail.

then they went after the new gold fish that is when i decide to remove them but in the first place my wife who bought the fish does not know the aggressiveness of these fish.

we all learn from mistake

Deleted User
11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Generally, the more tiger barbs in the tank, the better. They will entertain themselves with each other vs. going after other fish.