PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the "flu shot"???

sandypants
09-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Mostly out of curiosity- because this also spiked a heated debate on my friends Facebook post- she is 8 months pregnant and her doctor is encouraging her to get the shot now- but she is leery being so close to her due date. Wondering what the general consensus is about the debated “Flu Shot.”

sandypants
09-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Personally I have never gotten it and don’t think I ever would. Out of everyone I know that has gotten it or had it administered to their children, it seemed to MAKE them sick… I would rather take my chances GETTING sick then getting a shot to seemingly prevent future sickness and getting sick in the process…. But I know lots of people feel otherwise.

VoidParadigm
09-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I see no point in it despite having a weak immune system. Everyone I know except one friend (he's a tank, I swear lol) has gotten sick at some point after they get the shot. Then I go around them and I still don't get sick. Not much point, using that as an experience, imo.

Alternatively;
The flu shot is a conspiracy, really! It's the government putting little microchips in our skin (that need their batteries changed each year, hence the yearly shot.) DON'T FALL FOR THIS PLOY TO KEEP TABS ON US. THEY WANT TO STOP US RIDING THE COMETS TO FANTASIA, BUT I WON'T LET THEM.

*is tired*

Lady Hobbs
09-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I have been taking the flu shot for the last 5 years without even having one cold and not having the flu even once. I constantly had colds and the flu prior to the shot. But I will not take the swine flu vaccaine. I think they thru it together too fast and it hasn't been tested.

Flu shots are now only from dead virus's. They can not give you the flu.

MonkeyPox
09-25-2009, 05:11 PM
The key is the severity of the sickness. Getting a flu shot has a common reaction similar to mild cold for 2 days or so. A flu can be debilitating for a week and can lead to complications such as pneumonia.

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I've never had a flu shot in my life, and I don't plan on getting one now. The real key is to have a good, solid immune system that is not weakened by excessive "tinkering". Dousing yourself in sanitizers and germicidal products does more harm than good because your body forgets how to fight something when it does get in.

A prime example is a lady I work with. She washes her hands about every 30 minutes throughout the day, and is excessive with wiping her keyboard down with sanitizer as well as her entire office area being completely sterile. She has been sick more in the past year than I have been in my entire life!

I can't even remember the last time I had a severe cold, and the last time I has the flu I may have been 12 years old. I'm just over 40 now.

I would recommend it to folks with less than average immune systems, like expectant mothers, the elderly, or people with ailments that weaken the immune system. For me though, its not going to happen.

MonkeyPox
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm glad not all scientific research is based in anecdotal evidence.

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Not all scientific research is based on real world pertinent data either. We are medicating ourselves to death.

MonkeyPox
09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not aware of any medication you can obtain legally that has not undergone patient trials.
I'd love to read about any that have.

BirdOfPray
09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm with Cristoff -- I think the key is to have a good immune system by allowing yourself reasonable exposure. I get sick pretty rarely, and when I do I get over it quickly.

Normally I don't get the flu shot, mostly because I hate shots and my chances of staying healthy are pretty good without it. Last year I did get it, on the recommendation of my son's pediatrician. Evan was born last May, so he was still pretty young during flu season and I decided it was worth getting the shot lest I get sick and pass it on to him. Don't think I got the shot while pregnant though.

MonkeyPox
09-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Normally I don't get the flu shot, mostly because I hate shots ....

The mist has become a fairly commonplace option for those who dislike shots.

Lolita
09-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I get the flu EVERY TIME I get the flu shot--every time without fail... but I also still get it every year, because I have asthma. I skipped getting my flu shot one year and I got a terrible infection in my lungs that kept me mostly bed-ridden for two months... From halloween through new years. It was awful.

So, now I'd rather be sick for 2 weeks then bed-ridden for 2 months, so I still get it. My sisters don't get the flu shot, though--and they're fine.

Padams
09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
As my wife is a nurse at a local hospital this topic is annually discussed.

Her thoughts and factual knowledge for this year

Flu shot does not protect against the new H1N1
It will weaken your immune system just enough that IF you get H1N1 you will have it worse (see reason 1)
It is possible to get the shot and keep the basic flu symptoms for months (who wants that)
Back to H1N1, it is worse for 15-25 y/o and >60 but the test that has been used is now found to pick up 1/1000 or less so it is pretty ineffective. Also it takes about 7-10 days for CDC to return results from the more accurate EXPENSIVE less used tests

So in summation NO WAY IN HELL am I getting myself sick on purpose!!!!!!

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm not talking about patient trials, or if it's approved for legal sale.

There are thousands of medications out there that have been later proven either harmful, damaging, or completely ineffective. This is sometimes YEARS after the medication has been on the market. I have MANY examples of this.

My basis is more on the ineffectiveness.

MonkeyPox
09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm not talking about patient trials, or if it's approved for legal sale.

There are thousands of medications out there that have been later proven either harmful, damaging, or completely ineffective. This is sometimes YEARS after the medication has been on the market. I have MANY examples of this.

My basis is more on the ineffectiveness.

Aren't there tens of thousands of drugs that have proven to be effective as well?
Obviously you can do what you will, but when you advice people to go against medical advice, I'm very curious as to the rationale used. So far, it appears the basis of your advice is that they could be wrong.

As my wife is a nurse at a local hospital this topic is annually discussed.

Her thoughts and factual knowledge for this year

Flu shot does not protect against the new H1N1
It will weaken your immune system just enough that IF you get H1N1 you will have it worse (see reason 1)
It is possible to get the shot and keep the basic flu symptoms for months (who wants that)
Back to H1N1, it is worse for 15-25 y/o and >60 but the test that has been used is now found to pick up 1/1000 or less so it is pretty ineffective. Also it takes about 7-10 days for CDC to return results from the more accurate EXPENSIVE less used tests

So in summation NO WAY IN HELL am I getting myself sick on purpose!!!!!!

Isn't there a separate H1N1 vaccine? CDC Link (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm)

Padams
09-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Isn't there a separate H1N1 vaccine? CDC Link (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm)

Yes they are trying to get one BUT the virus is exceptionally adaptable and is proving to mutate more rapidly than any other. As with all viruses they have the ability to become resistive to vaccines. This one is in a class by itself from what the CDC rep told them in a training class last month.

Cristoff
09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Aren't there tens of thousands of drugs that have proven to be effective as well?
Obviously you can do what you will, but when you advice people to go against medical advice, I'm very curious as to the rationale used. So far, it appears the basis of your advice is that they could be wrong.

Read my posts. I did not advise anyone to do anything. I said is was not for me and explained the basis for my decision. Never once did I say "don't go and get one".

We disagree on the issue - that much is apparent but please don't put words in my mouth. In all honesty, your condescending tone is really starting to grate me. Not all of us are as stupid as you think we are.

My decision not to get a flu shot is based on personal data and experience. I was simply sharing that with the group.

sandypants
09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
... I didn't want to start any arguments but I brought it "to the table" as a discussion because there obviously are many factors for both sides- as are being discussed.:duel:

cocoa_pleco
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
regular flu-shot im fine with, ive gotten it since i was a kid and its always been fine, why mess with what works

swine flu-shot theres no way in monkey balls i will get, IMO they rushed it and i would be worried about bad side effects, i may have had the swine flu a while ago since i was sick with some of the effects of it but if not my parents were exposed to it in the 70's version so i may be fairly resistant to the new one. i was my hands alot so im not worried, the only thing that sucks is im in the 18-35 or whatever range thats most susceptible, not the geezers this time

Deleted User
09-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I've gotten a flu shot every year for the past 12+ years and I will get the "regular" one and the H1N1 shot this year. I just had to have 1/2 a lung removed... there is NO way I will take a chance and not get the flu shot. The worst that has ever happened to me from getting it is I'll feel a little achy for a few days. Beats the heck out of getting the flu any day!!!

mac
09-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I not for the flue shot. Can't take it. Makes my autism hit the roof. Plus I find if I keep away from junk food, I never come down with anything.

mac

Owlbehere
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm against most vaccines and get them as far apart as possible and as little as I can get by with. I am also against the H1N1 because I don't like the fact they threw it together and basically said that it was made just like the others so it didn't need a lot of testing. I believe in preventative measures.
I was raised with holistic practices. And unless something was broken, gushing blood, or so sick you are getting dehydrated, you didn't go to the doctor. Boy my mom and the school had some arguments about having a doctors excuse to skip school. She was not paying the doctor to give me a slip when she knew what was wrong and they just give me an antibiotic.

Deleted User
09-25-2009, 11:04 PM
I know the "regular" flu shot works. I'm a money manager / financial planner and work with a lot of older people. Shake a lot of hands, etc. I have not ever gotten the flu and get a flu shot each year (diabetic, so I really do not want the flu). The regular flu shot is a killed virus. It CANNOT give you the flu. If you get the flu right after getting the shot, you caught it from a person, not the shot. You may experience a reaction to the shot as I sometimes do, but for me, it's very mild and like I said, much better than having the flu.

Regarding the H1N1 shot, honestly with my current situation (recovering from that lobectomy surgery), I'm afraid not to get it. I'm scared to even catch a cold at this time when my lung and body are still healing.

Owlbehere
09-25-2009, 11:43 PM
This poll should have a "Need the flu shot to survive" Option :)

Tetris
09-25-2009, 11:57 PM
It sometimes amazes me how people can actually have opinions about this sort of stuff when they do so much other stuff that's far worse for their health anyways and don't seem to care.

As for me, I used to take the shot, but then I stopped. I haven't noticed any difference. Then again I'm the type of person who could lick isolated bacteria off a petri dish without getting sick.

Demi ^_^
09-26-2009, 12:39 AM
ARGHH! A needle! Woahh, no way! I remember when their was that bad flu going around ("Not the swine flu") and mum didn't tell me I was getting the shot until we were nearly there (My brother wa sonly tiny around that time)

Lordy! I had a doctor, 3 nurses and my mum holding me down. lol. One of the nurses had me in a headlock and one was sitting on me.. argghhh... I hate needles. I have the worst phobia in the world of needles...

KINGMED
09-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I think the shot/mist is fine. I work in a Doctors office and was going to get the mist since I really...really...really hate shots, well the LPN which works right along side of me asked me if I wanted the flu shot today and I accidently said yes and she rolled up my sleeve and gave me the shot, everyone there knows I hate shots so it was funny for everyone. The mist is the way to go, they just spray in each nostril and it's over.

Amazon
09-26-2009, 01:51 AM
I get my regular vaccines. I dont find it a problem, I mean why take chances? Of course I only really need it now because im still in a school with 1600 kids in it.......so. Ive also had the flu before and it sucks!

Lab_Rat
09-26-2009, 04:16 AM
Just got the flu shot a couple of days ago. We don't have a choice in the matter, if we want to work in the hospital we have to get one.

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I've never had a flu shot in my life, and I don't plan on getting one now. The real key is to have a good, solid immune system that is not weakened by excessive "tinkering". Dousing yourself in sanitizers and germicidal products does more harm than good because your body forgets how to fight something when it does get in.

A prime example is a lady I work with. She washes her hands about every 30 minutes throughout the day, and is excessive with wiping her keyboard down with sanitizer as well as her entire office area being completely sterile. She has been sick more in the past year than I have been in my entire life!

I can't even remember the last time I had a severe cold, and the last time I has the flu I may have been 12 years old. I'm just over 40 now.

I would recommend it to folks with less than average immune systems, like expectant mothers, the elderly, or people with ailments that weaken the immune system. For me though, its not going to happen.

Immune deficiencies are not due to something you do or used. There are over 100 kinds of autoimmune diseases with most people having several if they have one. When you can't fight off illness yourself, then the flu and pneumonia shots are important. Either one can kill a person with immune deficiencies.

Deleted User
09-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Immune deficiencies are not due to something you do or used. There are over 100 kinds of autoimmune diseases with most people having several if they have one. When you can't fight off illness yourself, then the flu and pneumonia shots are important. Either one can kill a person with immune deficiencies.
Exactly right. Actually a "good" immune system may be more likely than a milder one to go into overdrive and create an autoimmune problem in a person.

Unless you've been around a long time and been exposed to many different flu strains which you successfully fought off (in young people, this isn't even possible), there's no reason to feel you are superman / superwoman when it comes to fighting off the flu virus. Chances are you've just not been exposed to it, have been lucky, and are not above average in the health department.

Hopefully no one who thinks the recommended flu shots are bad, not worth it, or hurt too much won't find themselves laying on their bathroom floor (or hospital!) in a couple of months, sick as a dog, wishing they got that shot. It's honestly no big deal and doesn't really hurt! A hard pinch hurts more than that shot.

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
This thread reminded me of my last few months working at the store. None of the young people had bothered to get the flu shot. Everyone thought it was stupid. Well, every one of them got the flu and guess who got to work 21 days in a row without a day off? ME! It ended up with me working all but 2 days out of 36. I felt like I was being punished for them not getting the shot. lol

The shot is a joke. It hurts less than removing a sliver from your finger.

gm72
09-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm not really for or against it. I don't get it but think target/at risk populations should.

KeithA
09-26-2009, 03:25 PM
What the hell's so bad about the flu shot? You people do know that it's a vaccine that doesn't contain the actual virus right? It's just a dead one, it's impossible to die from the flu shot. Babies are more likely to die from the flu more than anyone else(Excluding elderly people)it's not that bad, besides it spreads so easily.
EDIT: turns out Jill already said you can't get the flu from it.

Tetris
09-27-2009, 02:53 AM
Needles are nothing to me. So that's not the reason I avoid the shot.

My doctor says that he doesn't care whether I get the shot or not, and that it's not a big deal if I don't get it.

I live and work around other people who do get sick with all sorts of stuff, so it's not lack of exposure that keeps me healthy. Usually I just get a tickle in my throat that'll last for a day, then it's over.

There's probably many things that contribute to me not getting sick often or as severely as the person I caught it from.

I figure why mess with something that's working if my doctor doesn't seem to care one way or another?

Padams
09-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Regarding the H1N1 shot, honestly with my current situation (recovering from that lobectomy surgery), I'm afraid not to get it. I'm scared to even catch a cold at this time when my lung and body are still healing.

Jill the H1N1 is attacking mostly the respiratory functions. Some do also add the gi (stomach) symptoms as well and get it worse.

The nurses were told in their class there most likely will not be an approved vaccine till late next year. I have no idea what shot you got but I would ask some questions.

edit: After consulting her (yet again, damn I hate that I just told you this yesterday look ) the "in-house" nurse explained H1N1 like this: it attack the respiratory system hard and causes a fluid response similar to rheumatoid arthritis leading to pneumonia. The largest problem is it is only adding the GI track in less than 1/2 the cases around. Well everyone associates the flu with their porcelain thrown somehow, so no running to bathroom I must not have the flu. WRONG. Since it isn't detected early the pneumonia is often MUCH worse and potentially fatal.

KeithA
09-27-2009, 04:59 AM
edit: After consulting her (yet again, damn I hate that I just told you this yesterday look ) the "in-house" nurse explained H1N1 like this: it attack the respiratory system hard and causes a fluid response similar to rheumatoid arthritis leading to pneumonia. The largest problem is it is only adding the GI track in less than 1/2 the cases around. Well everyone associates the flu with their porcelain thrown somehow, so no running to bathroom I must not have the flu. WRONG. Since it isn't detected early the pneumonia is often MUCH worse and potentially fatal.

That's.....scary......

Lab_Rat
09-27-2009, 06:01 AM

Well put! People with autoimmune disease have not given themselves the disease with hand sanitizers.

Deleted User
09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Well put! People with autoimmune disease have not given themselves the disease with hand sanitizers.
LOL!!! Very true and I also didn't get diabetes from eating too much candy :shappy:

It's interesting to me that after a few of us spoke up "for" at least considering getting the flu shots this year, the poll results really swung. Prior, I think only about 20% of the people thought the shots were a good idea :ssuprised:

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2009, 01:21 PM

They probably have autoimmune disease is why they wash their hands constantly. Or, has a germ-phobia.

Kaz
09-27-2009, 01:43 PM
In regards to H1N1 and the actual flu, it should be noted that these are quite different.

H1N1 is a problem right now not because it is worse than the regular flu but because it spreads faster.

H1N1 is actually weaker than the normal flu and less adaptable.

One of the main reasons they have been getting the vaccine ready so quickly is because H1N1 hasn't been mutating.

Actually, most years I don't get the shot but I'm all for it.

190MPH
09-27-2009, 01:54 PM
At the risk of offending someone, I will add my .02. I've never had the flu, nor have I ever had a flu shot. My father had the flu once when he was younger, right after he got the shot. I also agree with 2 earlier points. 1, if you take care of your body and practice good personal hygiene, many of today's problems can be avoided. And 2, I also believe that there are way too many drugs being pushed out there for this or that for people to rely on. Think they're all reliable? Why so many lawsuits against their effectiveness? How many can be eliminated with proper care of one's body? I'm not talking about cancer drugs and the like, but crutches. Just watch TV for a night and see what we have them for, followed by the ridiculous list of possible side affects. How about one for social anxiety disorder? What! How about people collecting disability payments just for being obese? What! How about one for quitting smoking? That one's nothing more than a re-boxed anti-depressant and re-priced 10x higher. I'm sorry, but these things are a pet peeve of mine and get me fired up.

Padams
09-27-2009, 02:11 PM
In regards to H1N1 and the actual flu, it should be noted that these are quite different.

H1N1 is a problem right now not because it is worse than the regular flu but because it spreads faster.

H1N1 is actually weaker than the normal flu and less adaptable.

One of the main reasons they have been getting the vaccine ready so quickly is because H1N1 hasn't been mutating.

What source are you basing this on? The Center for Disease Control here in Atlanta GA (USA) is apparently of a different opinion.

LadyHatred
09-27-2009, 02:20 PM
I have never received the flu shot. I believe the only one I willingly submitted to was the one that left a circle scar on my arm because I got a shiny sticker for it....Oh! And another one that had mom and the doc chasing me around the room before they could get it into me. lol Can't believe I still remember that. :)

Several years ago, after getting 17 stitches in the palm of my hand, the nurse asked me if I had an up to date tetanus shot and, lieing, I said yup. She then asked me the year I got it and I messed up my math (as usual) and was told I was not allowed to leave the hospital unless I got it. I eyed the door and she said "Dont even think about it..." LOL How she knew I was planning on bolting is beyond me but...ya even pouting didn't get me out of that one. Had a charlie horse at the spot for two weeks after!

I trust my immune system to take care of me. I'd like to say I've never had the flu but, I'm sure I just dont remember it. I know I will get one or two colds a year and I consider that normal for me. It's happened like that for as long as I can remember.

Good topic! It's nice to see other people's feeling on it. thumbs2:

Deleted User
09-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh you do NOT want to lie about a tetanus shot!!!

You were probably okay, because it's actually deep, puncture type wounds that usually put you at risk for it, vs. something that can be stitched.

I raise horses and they are vaccinated for tetanus (among other things) annually. Horses carry it / it's in the dirt. If I got a deep wound, I might give my ownself a dose of anti-toxin (LOL!).

LadyHatred
09-27-2009, 02:41 PM
lol! Giving yourself horse meds. Love it!

I told the nurse she was just rackin up the bill. She countered that since it happened at work and was being covered by WorkersComp, it didn't matter. And to top that off, when I got back to work, I was given heck about the fact that I drove myself to the hospital!! Apparently I was to take a cab, at the company's expense. What a waste of money. :hmm3grin2orange:

Deleted User
09-27-2009, 02:54 PM
lol! Giving yourself horse meds. Love it!

I think the tetanus antitoxin is like universal, not just for horses :) But God knows, as many times as I have accidently stuck myself when trying to vaccinate my horses, I probably won't ever get any horse diseases thumbs2: