PDA

View Full Version : Lo's 10 Gallon Office Aquarium

Lolita
09-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Lo's 10 Gallon Office Aquarium

Lo's 29 Gallon Office Home Journal (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=614874#post614874)

Tank Specs:
Size: 10 US Gallons
Dimentions: 20(L) x 11(D) x 13(H)

Equiptment:
Heater: 50 watt Theo Heater
Air Pump: PETCO brand airpump with airstone / bubble wall (maybe)
Filter: AquaClear20(Mini)
Lighting: Standard Hood
Thermometer: ESU Reptile Digital Thermometer

Plants:
Background: Amazon Swords, Java Fern
Midground: Anubias
Foreground: Anubias

Other:
Substrate: 20 lbs Eco-Complete
Decorations: Fake driftwood piece, sand bar

Fish Plan:
*** This list is subject to change. ***
*** Fish listed are either/or groups. ***
Schooling: ~ 6 Neon Tetra or Cardinal Tetra
Schooling: ~ 6 Zebra Danios
Algae Eaters: ~ 3 Otocinclus Catfish
Livebearers: ~ 3 Platies
Centerpiece: 1 Male Betta

Lolita
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
So far, the tank is sitting empty. I cleaned the office to make space for it, and have a nice little set up for it on the far wall across from the windows, in the center of the wall.

http://i38.tinypic.com/xnt3s9.jpg

It's FILTHY from sitting in storage for over a year... so it'll need a good washing with some lime juice and hot water (I'm going to avoid vinegar if I can, the smell makes me sick.)

http://i34.tinypic.com/zx422a.jpg

I'll post pictures after I clean it.

I still have to show dad the different fish, since this fish tank is for both of us to enjoy (we share the office). I'm going to let him pick the fish he likes from the list above, and then I'll put together a nice little community from there.

I ordered all of our equiptment and substrate yesterday, so it won't be in until the end of next week. Untill then I'm just going to have to keep busy cleaning this tank, and working on my home tank (just started a fishless cycle). Then I can start cycling this tank!

I guess that's all for now!
Lo <3

Northernguy
09-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I would avoid the platies and maybe the otos.
You will have a lot of fish in the tank with just the betta and the tetras and the danios.
If you need an algae eater wait till its becoming a problem and then think about otos.
I do like the rest of the plan.

Lolita
09-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I would avoid the platies and maybe the otos.
You will have a lot of fish in the tank with just the betta and the tetras and the danios.
If you need an algae eater wait till its becoming a problem and then think about otos.
I do like the rest of the plan.

Oh I'm not going to stock ALL those fish. Don't worry, I know better than that. Those are just the fish I'm looking at at options, and my dad will pick out the ones he likes. So for example I may have just the tetras and 1 betta, or 3 platies and betta, etc.

Northernguy
09-25-2009, 05:25 PM
lol Whew!:hmm3grin2orange:
I don't know if you like apple snails but they are a great addition to a betta tank!They are real interesting to watch too!lol

Lolita
09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Lol <3

I did a little research on apple snails this morning actually. I'm considering them an option, but I don't think my dad will go for it lol! I'll mention it to him, though. =D Thank you!

Edit: Thank you for the gift by the way!!

Lolita
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
So... my dad's really wanting to get fish asap. I can't get media from any other place to instantly cycle my tank. It'll be set up tomorrow (filter/heater/substrate arriving in the AM via fedEx).

I hate to do a fish-in cycle, but he's the type of person who would just toss fish into the tank when I wasn't looking...

If I can't convince him to do a fishless cycle, I plan to use some Stability to help with a fish-in cycle.

I've heard a few people on the forum say it helped a ton and got their tank cycled extremely quickly. For those of you who used it, how often did you need to do a water change while using it? Anything else you can tell me?

Still going to try to convince him to go fishless.

Thanks!

Demi ^_^
09-30-2009, 06:05 AM
I know what that's like <rolls eyes>
My dad is the exact same LOL

Goodluck!

iZinedane
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
if your gonna do a fish-in-cycle..try using what Mith used to recover his cycle.
heres a link to his thread http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=51627

gm72
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Hate to be the guy to rain on this, but is that where the tank is going to sit? Not sure that bookcase is going to support it over the long haul. Remember that a fully loaded 10 gallon tank is close to 100 pounds.

Northernguy
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
If the shelf begins to bend just get more binders underneath it!:hmm3grin2orange: Just kiddin'! lol
Particle board is strong but will bend in time. If you have another shelf board that you can place under the tank,it will prevent the shelf from bending anytime soon.

Lolita
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I was thinking about using either the SuperBac Live! or Seachem's Stability!

And this shelf will hold it fine. It's solid wood all around--no particle board. Even the back is solid wood. I've had much heavier things than a fish tank on it for long periods of time and it hasn't shown any signs of warping at all. It's a good old-fashioned piece of real wood furniture xD

Lolita
09-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Okay! So here's the good news:

I decided to paint the back of the tank black for a really dramatic background! ^_^ It worked. I love it!

http://i34.tinypic.com/6teo2u.jpg

The tank looks really good now. It's all clean!

Unfortunately my light fixture no longer works.. -_- so I just had to dish out 40 bucks for a new one, but this one came with no hard water stains... xD so... not all is lost?

The bad news:

I am going to DISMEMBER the new fed ex guy! I had everything sent to my office (by everything I mean substrate, filter, heater, thermometer etc etc) because the tank is being set up here, and I knew they would deliver by 3:00 PM since they have to at a business.

NO SUCH LUCK. They apparently hired a new guy who is an idiot and didn't show up.

Not happy.

Especially considering I already bought some of my plants...

So, lucky for me I have left over substrate that I was going to add to the new stuff I ordered from my 29! I added it (it's about an inch deep... maybe a little less) and it's just enough to hold the plants in. I filled the tank half way with water and put the air stone in for aeration.

The light is on a timer from 7 am to 9 pm for now. I'll see how the plants do and adjust from there--since it's just a basic 15 watt bulb. I'm using only low-light plants anyhow, so I think I'll be okay. Plus this room has bright lighting from 9 - 5 anyhow, so that might help a little.

Anyhow, I'm going to take a picture, even though the water is super cloudy from the sand. I'll post it and then I'm gonna head to petsmart to get some Stability for some fun experimentation!!

Lolita
09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/5n7l0g.jpg

The castle looks WAY bigger than I remember it looking inside there... x_x but before I also only had 1 fish. It might also look less weird when I have water filling the whole tank and not just halfway... xD

Do you think it's way too big? Should I go for something smaller or will it be okay?

For reference the fish we get are all going to be tiny. Dad's leaning toward guppys or neons. He also likes platys.

Deleted User
09-30-2009, 10:25 PM
It's looking good and coming right along for you thumbs2:

Lolita
09-30-2009, 10:29 PM
=D Thank you Jill!!

I hope that stupid fed ex guy gets here early tomorrow so I can have the tank set up and filtering before Dad comes into the office.

I want him to be surprised by the set up.

Deleted User
09-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh, I hate waiting for deliveries and then they're late!!! And I can easily relate to wanting to surprise Dad :1luvu:

Lolita
09-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm so mad cause this is a business address so they're SUPPOSED to deliver by 3 >/!!!

But he'll get reamed out tomorrow. =D I'm off to petsmart now to get some Stability. I'm gonna try using it to speed up my fishless cycle at home. Hopefully it works!

Demi ^_^
10-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I think the castle looks just right, not too big, not too small - the fish will love it!

Lolita
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
=D Thanks!

Lolita
10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Yaay! Fed Ex finally showed up and I got my tank all set up!

http://i33.tinypic.com/11gilx4.jpg

There she is!

Dad and I agree that the castle seems really big... but we'll leave it in for now while it's cycling, I figure the largeness might even help hold even more bacteria at first, but if the fist don't seem to be going in and out of it much, we'll change it out for something that takes up less space, and that the fish might use more.

The tank plan is now as follows if dad approves:

6 Neon Tetra
3 fancy male guppies

Eventually I will add 1 or 2 platy fish!

Chrisinator
10-04-2009, 03:54 AM
I love your tank! I really like that castle! Also, check out Nerite Snails since I read you wanting to add something to clean up the algae. Mine do very well and they are freshwater and won't breed and overstock you tank since they only breed in brackish water.

[By the way, hate to tell you this but that plant with a white edge is non-aquatic]

Northernguy
10-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Nice job on the tank.:22:
When you rmove the castle what will fill its place,some driftwood maybe! lolthumbs2:

Deleted User
10-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Looks great!!! :19: :19: :19:

mattsbottleofjager
10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Looks good thumbs2:

Lolita
10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I love your tank! I really like that castle! Also, check out Nerite Snails since I read you wanting to add something to clean up the algae. Mine do very well and they are freshwater and won't breed and overstock you tank since they only breed in brackish water.

[By the way, hate to tell you this but that plant with a white edge is non-aquatic]

Thank you very much for your compliments and suggestions!

Aww, it is? I was so excited about it, too! Will it die with too much water then? I bought it along with the anubias and swords at my local aquatic garden store.

Lolita
10-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice job on the tank.:22:
When you rmove the castle what will fill its place,some driftwood maybe! lolthumbs2:

Thank you!

=D Yeah probably something like driftwood, depending on the look my dad wants. If he doesn't want that natural pond look then I'll let him pick out something nice. I might make my own rock cave or something too. That might look really neat, and it would keep the soft greys and blues that my dad likes!

Lolita
10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Looks great!!! :19: :19: :19:

=D Yay thanks! I can't wait for it to cycle, hopefully it'll take less time than my home tank is taking!

Lolita
10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Looks good thumbs2:

Thank you very much!!

Lolita
10-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Yaay! The slight white cloudiness in the tank has now officially cleared up, and the water is beautiful and crystal clear! I'm really pleased with how it looks.

I'm going to do my ammonia and pH test now to see if that water softener is working. I'll post the results and a picture soon!

Lolita
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Okay... well, the Ammonia and pH are both still the same, so the water softening pillow didn't help as far as I know. I'm just going to take it out, and I'll just have to drip acclimate my fish...

I hope neons are going to be okay in such hard water... maybe I should think about buying water for my water changes D:

Lolita
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Picture tiiime!

I got some nice shots... xD sorry about the reflection of me. There's only two feet of space to stand in front of the tank...

I got a little creative with angles. xD

http://i38.tinypic.com/2mexzcz.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2hwyy5e.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/dg6x5i.jpg

And the whole tank:
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hdb2uc.jpg

Lolita
10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
=D Great news!!

I tested my water today and got the following:

Ammonia: 1 ppm (might be almost 2...)
Nitrite: 2 ppm (maybe higher, it looks like 5 in certain lighting o_O)

=D But Yaaay! Getting closer to being cycled!

Should I add more ammonia now? Or wait for it to drop lower?

rich311k
10-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Bump it back to 2. Keep it at 2 for as long as you have nitrites.

Lolita
10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
=D Okay thanks! I really should get a dropper.. xD I keep getting ammonia everywhere trying to use the cap to add it.. LOL

matthew.shelly
10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
sorry to break it to ya, but those "gold ribbon plants" you have are not true aquatic plants. they're dracaena sanderiana, the same species used to make "lucky bamboo."
they will survive for a while, but will eventually die and rott.

Lolita
10-08-2009, 05:02 PM
sorry to break it to ya, but those "gold ribbon plants" you have are not true aquatic plants. they're dracaena sanderiana, the same species used to make "lucky bamboo."
they will survive for a while, but will eventually die and rott.

Yeah, Rich told me the other day. I've taken them out and am waiting for replacements to come in--I ordered ferns. But thanks! Lol I had them in both my tanks unfortunately D:

matthew.shelly
10-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Rich told me the other day. I've taken them out and am waiting for replacements to come in--I ordered ferns. But thanks! Lol I had them in both my tanks unfortunately D:
i made the same mistake. i was able to put them back in the tubes and return them.

Lolita
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
i made the same mistake. i was able to put them back in the tubes and return them.

I got them over a week ago, so I can't return for them lol...

It's okay though. I put them in a pot. My mom will like them anyhow =3

Lolita
10-09-2009, 01:02 AM
So I've been worried about the pH/water hardness at the office for a while... I tried a water softening pillow but that didn't work at all.

Today, just for the heck of it I did a high pH test and found out that my pH is actually off the charts D:! It's at LEAST 9 and I'm a little horrified by it.

I'm not going to bother trying to acclimate poor fish to such a high pH... so I think what I'll do from now on, even though it'll be a huge pain in the butt, is buy a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with a cover on it, and fill water from my house, add dechlorinator and put it in my car in the morning the day I do my water change. I can just bring it from home to the office and do it that way.

Chrisinator
10-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Wait, did you test the office water or the tank water?

Lolita
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Both. Before I started cycling, I just let the water in the tank run with the softener. There was no change at all, so I thought maybe I could try getting a filter. I started cycling, and then bought a filter for the tap.

I did a test on the tap through the filter and it was still the same as it was before.

Chrisinator
10-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Do you have a high end pH test?

Lolita
10-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Yes, that's the test I used. It's still even darker than the darkest color. Lol I wish they made a super-high end pH test or something.

Anomaly
10-09-2009, 01:43 AM

Nice tank! Ferns . . . ? Are they Java Ferns or something else? There are several plants marketed as Ferns out there that are non-aquatic as well. You'll see them in those tubes at Petsmart and Petco.

Lolita
10-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Nice tank! Ferns . . . ? Are they Java Ferns or something else? There are several plants marketed as Ferns out there that are non-aquatic as well. You'll see them in those tubes at Petsmart and Petco.

Thank you!

I ordered Java Ferns from a website that was recommended by someone on the forum. I'm not gonna make the same mistake twice lol!

Lolita
10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Yay!

I did another test today. My ammonia dropped to 0 and my nitrites are reading 5!!

=D I'm so close!

Added more ammonia, and will test again tomorrow. Can't wait for my nitrites to drop! Just wish my tank at home would cycle this fast!!

Edit: Just did a test for Nitrate as well! Nitrates are at about 15 (a little more than 10, little less than 20 Lol) YAY!

Lolita
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Lol oops. Didn't wait long enough on nitrates I guess.

Nitrates are officially reading 5 right now xD

Also... added a little too much ammonia--bumped it up to 4 by accident! >_>

Not a bad thing I guess. If it's down to zero again by tomorrow I'll know I have some good bacteria in here! Next time I'll only add half as much as I added today. Hee....

Lolita
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Nitrites have dropped to .5!

=D That happened so much faster than I expected.

Nitrates are still at 5.0, and ammonia is being added as needed to keep the bacteria alive.

Can't wait for Nitrites to hit 0! =D

Lolita
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
My ammonia-eating bacteria is alive and well! Today's parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 5

Lolita
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
OMG! O.M.G. MY TANK IS CYCLED!

=D FINALLY. I'm SO freaking excited lol. I thought I would NEVER see that pretty blue color! xD

I added more ammonia to keep the bacteria alive, and I'll do another test tomorrow just to make sure. If all goes well, this weekend I'll do my huge water change, a little bit of pruning, and I'll pick up my fish!

YAY!!!!

Lolita
10-26-2009, 02:03 AM
We picked up our fish yesterday!

What a disaster that was. Dad picked out two dwarf gouramis and two mollies. I had to take them all back, though I kept the neon blue dwarf gourami. Then I picked up 3 neon tetra.

I checked on them today. The gourami is going fantastic! My water is cloudy (from the tabs probably) but nitrites and ammonia are at zero!

The gourami coloured up nicely and is eating. So are two of the tetra. One of the tetra, unfortunately, died while I was away. I'm not terribly surprised, but the other two look really good.

I'm not to worried about disease. None of the fish look sick at all, nor did the dead one--I think it was probably just stress from the new tank.

Still, I'm going to keep an eye on them.

Since the tetra are so tiny right now, and so is the gourami, I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up a couple more tomorrow to fill out the school a little bit, hopefully to lessen the stress on the existing tetra (though even as a pair, they're schooling together!)

domjd05
10-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Awesome, congrats on the new fish!

Lolita
10-26-2009, 02:12 AM
=D Thanks! I'm so happy to finally have some fishies to love!

Lolita
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
=D I went to petco and asked for another four neons. The girl working caught five, and instead of awkwardly trying to put the one back I said I'd just take all five.

I acclimated them over about 45 minutes and used the opportuniry to do a 25% waterr change, because the water's still pretty cloudy from the root tabs.

It looks better now. I think I'll just do a 25% water change every morning until it's clear again.

It's funny the difference in color between my two neons that I got Saturday, and the ones I just added.

My older two are really, really bright and the other ones were so dull! Their stripes were white instead of blue.

They've been in the water for about a half hour now and they look like they're doing great! I'm already noticing some brighter colors on them.

Did a water test. 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrite again! Yay -D

The neons are all sticking together in the middle of the tank under some of the anubias for now, and my gourami is exploring as usual!

I couldn't get a good picture of any of the neons, but I managed to get ONE good picture of the gourami! (Stupid cloudy water!)

Here he is:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ztc2l3.jpg

rich311k
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Handsome boy!

Scrup
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
congratulations!

good on ya for waiting it out!

Lolita
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
=D Thanks so much guys!

Dad's really happy with them too. He's loving the gourami, it's pretty nice.

They all look pretty happy already! I put in a tiny, tiny amount of flakes after adding the neons. The neons didn't go for it but the gourami did. I'll probably put in another small pinch this evening before I leave, then tomorrow I'll get them on a regular feeding schedule!

Taurus
10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
He certainly is. Nice choice on the dwarf gourami.

Lolita
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
He certainly is. Nice choice on the dwarf gourami.

Thanks! I owe that to my dad lol. He's the one who picked him out, to my surprise. He's a nice little guy!

Lolita
10-26-2009, 05:11 PM
They aren't great shots, but I managed to get some of the tetra and one of the tank since I redid it!

It's a weird angle, sorry... lol I didn't want the flash to reflect off the cloudiness!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2uo42nn.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/riulu0.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/o8gjvb.jpg

Being curious!
http://i34.tinypic.com/29g1ro8.jpg

Lolita
10-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Lost another tetra today, but I got to the office expecting it, so I wasn't really all that surprised.

The others are looking great!

I fed them twice today, once at about 10 am, and then again at 5. Both times they went NUTS for the food. It was great. They gobbled up that food faster than I could imagine.

The gourami is so funny. He's such a greedy little pig, I love him. He darts around the top for that food. I think he's already learning that when I open the top, it's usually for food...so he came flying up to the surface as soon as I opened it.

I'm feeding them flakes for now. The tetra are all so tiny I don't think they'll be able to eat the granules or crisps I bought.

Anyone have experience with either of those foods? I got all Tetra Tropical food: Flakes, Crisps and Granules. I'll get some bloodworms when they're all a little bigger for special occasions.

Lolita
10-27-2009, 10:39 PM
=D I got a couple more shots today. The water's still a little cloudy, but not too bad.

http://i33.tinypic.com/10cnl00.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2nrd5c8.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/sy5kdl.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2dklxc.jpg