PDA

View Full Version : Bio load of assasain snails

Afk4Jfk
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Whats the bioload of assasain snails if any? whats the recommended gallons per snail?

VoidParadigm
09-25-2009, 04:39 PM
The bioload is smaller than mystery snails, I know that much. With all aquatic life there's the general (and often false) rule of one inch of creature per gallon. I wouldn't keep more than 1 per gallon myself, but know of people who keep up to four per gallon without problem (as long as they're well-fed. Some sites claim assassins go cannibal without good food supply.)

toddnbecka
09-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I think an asssassin snail would have a negative bioload since it would be actively reducing the number of other species...

VoidParadigm
09-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I think an asssassin snail would have a negative bioload since it would be actively reducing the number of other species...

True, but that wouldn't have much effect unless the tank was pre-stuffed with pest snails. Without a huge number of pests it'd be relatively the same bioload effects as just feeding them.

Afk4Jfk
09-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Ok thanks guys I might add a couple of snails to my tanks, They might be an interesting addition and help at the same time

VoidParadigm
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't forget to feed them when the pest snails run out or if you have no pest snails in there to begin with.

Afk4Jfk
09-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Arrgghhh i cant find any assn snails! ive checked 4 places and nothing...

Denis Goulding
12-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Have u any experience breeding these guys, my tank is full of ramshorns and the 2 assasin snails are not making much impact, they are in a 54l tank.. Do i need more to breed or what do i do. I have heard they eat snails but have not seen it yet.
Regards,
Denis

toddnbecka
12-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Assassin snails are m/f, unlike ramshorns, so you have a better chance of breeding them if you have 4 or more to insure you have both sexes. In any case, 2 of them aren't likely to be able tp keep up with a well-established population of ramshorns.