PDA

View Full Version : What filter or fliters do you run and why?

Speed6 Guy
04-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I just wanted to post up a thread to discuss what filter people are using and why they like it. I just posted in the welcome section and had several people post there opinion on my filter choice.

I have a 60 gallon tank with two penguin 660 power heads in the tank an under gravel filter as well as an Emperor 400 bio wheel filter. In the first three months the tank has been up and running there have been no issues with chemicals (aside from the normal spikes from cycling) or algae growth. I keep three angle fish, ten black tetra, two jewel cichlids, one betta and two placo in the tank and am going to get some gouramis in there when I get a chance.

I have always had good luck with my under gravel filters. I have had a 10 gallon tank with an UGF as its only filter for 2 years. I have yet to have a death in the tank and have never had a chemical issue.

The Emperor 400 bio wheel is a very nice addition to my big tank and it makes for good bacteria growth. I also enjoy the fact that you can replace one filter at a time so you don’t rob the tank of the bacteria. This filter has four cartridges and the wheel. The wheel will never need to be replaced if it is not damaged, the two substrate filters need the normal once a month or more change and the basic filters are a once every three week change.

So go ahead and post what you have and why you like it.

Nate

Chrona
04-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Canister filters are usually the way to go for tanks above 30 gallons. Far superior mechanical filtration, plenty of biological filtration (using lots of bio media in compartments). Plus, it's not as unsightly and you can run lot's of things in-line (heater, CO2 reactor, etc), and maintenance is usually less.

holbritter
04-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a Fluval 305 canister and love it! It has plenty of compartments for different media, it's quiet, it wasn't too bad to set up, I haven't had a problem with it. Oh yeah, did I say it was quiet?!

I have a HOB for my smaller tank, which I don't really care for, but I can't justify the cost of a canister for a small tank.

sergo
04-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I have a Fluval 305 canister and love it! It has plenty of compartments for different media, it's quiet, it wasn't too bad to set up, I haven't had a problem with it. Oh yeah, did I say it was quiet?!i completely agree!
i on the other hand though still have on hob on the back of my 55. that son of a gun can move some water and comes in handy when i make a mess in the tank moving things around. i turn them both on high and in less than 10 mins my water will be crystal clear again. :thumb:

Fishguy2727
04-02-2007, 06:24 PM
For the money UGFs are a waste. There are much better filters out there for the money. The Emperor 400 should have two wheels. With biowheels you should be able to change all the other cartridges at the same time without a problem with the nitrifying bacteria because most of the bacteria are in the wheels. The problem with UGFs is that long term they usually cause problems with nitrates because of all the debris that they inevitably trap. They need weekly vacuumings and even then will usually cause problems long term.

Speed6 Guy
04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
For the money UGFs are a waste. There are much better filters out there for the money. The Emperor 400 should have two wheels. With biowheels you should be able to change all the other cartridges at the same time without a problem with the nitrifying bacteria because most of the bacteria are in the wheels. The problem with UGFs is that long term they usually cause problems with nitrates because of all the debris that they inevitably trap. They need weekly vacuumings and even then will usually cause problems long term.

So you would rather just tell other people they got the wrong stuff (in your opinion) then post up what you use and why you use it. Thats cool no offence taken. I like the under gravel filter and FOR THE MONEY (less then $45 for my 10 gallon and $60 for my 60 gallon) it may lack some of the luster that the sump style filters have but it keeps my tank in check with no problem.

Chrona
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
So you would rather just tell other people they got the wrong stuff (in your opinion) then post up what you use and why you use it. Thats cool no offence taken. I like the under gravel filter and FOR THE MONEY (less then $45 for my 10 gallon and $60 for my 60 gallon) it may lack some of the luster that the sump style filters have but it keeps my tank in check with no problem.

That's not exactly cheap imo. You can get a Filstar XP3 off of Petsmart now for 75 bucks with free shipping (using coupon code XP3XP4). They are rated for 175 gallons (though more realistically like 75-90) and can have immense bio filtration via 3 media compartments, not to mention amazing mechanical filtration (micron pads). UGF's provide tons of biological filtration for sure, but as Reptileguy said, maintenance is a bit of an issue, the plates break, you can't use them for planted tanks, relatively little mechanical/chemical filtration, and it's bulky. As for the best bang for the buck, hang on back power filters are still the way to go. Otherwise, canister filters all the way.

And didn't you ask for people's opinions on various filters? We are all merely stating our opinions.

Speed6 Guy
04-02-2007, 07:52 PM
And didn't you ask for people's opinions on various filters? We are all merely stating our opinions.

Yes I did. But they only gave a shoot your stuff down opinion and not a this is what i use opinion, a lot like you did in your post. Just read my post and post up what YOU have in your tank and how YOU like what YOU have.

And i agree that maybe my stuff is not the best posable combo but it works great for me and i enjoy the work on the tank once a week thing.

so i geuss what it comes down to is what you like to use and this thread should be stoped if closed if all that people are going to do is shoot down everyone elses stuff.

O and by the way this is my first day on this forum and it may be my last if there is all this you got the wrong stuff and should have gotten this stuff crap.

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I like canister filters. They do a better pressurized job than HOB's. My fluval 205 is quiet and good.

I hate ugf's. Unless you use them in conjunction with a canister filter, its just a ich and parasite breeding ground. When i lifted out my old 10g's UGF 5 years ago, MAJOR crap bomb.

Chrona
04-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I hate ugf's. Unless you use them in conjunction with a canister filter, its just a ich and parasite breeding ground. When i lifted out my old 10g's UGF 5 years ago, MAJOR crap bomb.

lol

Speed - I apologize if any of my earlier comments were somehow interpreted as being offensive. I was merely pointing out a few things, and if you'll notice, the response of this forum has been pretty darn good. I think the problem lies in that you almost never see a "post what you like and why it's good" type format on forums. It's almost always more of an open debate, and because human nature tends towards the negative, open ended debated like these usually start swinging that way. Yes, you may feel the "advice" is unwarranted, but by and large, people will post what they want as long as it pertains to the subject at hand. There isn't really much you can do about it. To be honest, I doubt you will be able to find a friendlier forum than here (I've looked), and while we do not tolerate hostility, we certainly allow for open debate. In the end, it's best to keep a light attitude about everything. Cheers

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
most people diss it off because they figure a plastic plate cant do anything, but with other filters its good.

Rue
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
AquaClear: really like it. Trouble-free. Media options. Easy to clean and maintain.

No Name HOB: don't like it. Has filter inserts. More expensive to buy.

2 Emperor 280s: just got them. Pain to clean out. Media looks expensive and seems limited by the inserts. But I'll let you know for sure when they're up and running.

Plain Jane Sponge Filter: Wonderful! Easy! Cheap! Does an excellent job! Wish they started making more attractive ones.

Drumachine09
04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
I have 5 hang on backs. one is a marine land penguin 100 with biowheel, another is a marine land mini, 3 small regents, and one LARGE regent. I also have a ugf on my nano with two powerheads, and you can throw all of these excuses that you want about "how bad they are" but it sure does a damn fine job in my tank.

I should be getting 50-75 dollars here soon, and i am looking at a rena xp1-xp2.

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2007, 12:18 AM
i have 6 HOBS, 2 UGF's, 4 powerheads, and 2 canister filters

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 12:37 AM
So you would rather just tell other people they got the wrong stuff (in your opinion) then post up what you use and why you use it. Thats cool no offense taken. I like the under gravel filter and FOR THE MONEY (less then $45 for my 10 gallon and $60 for my 60 gallon) it may lack some of the luster that the sump style filters have but it keeps my tank in check with no problem.

I have no canisters yet but need one definitely for my 55 gallon. Currently I have all bio's in all four tanks.....all penguins but one is an emperor 400. I find no difference in the efficiency of the penguin 350 or the emperor. Both are good filters and do equally well.....in my opinion.

Reptileguy uses all fluvals canisters which do a great job and are very quiet. He was only trying to steer you in the right direction for future knowledge and I believe your post to him was uncalled for. He's an expert in the field but if you feel your 3 months of fish keeping equals his qualifications, what can we say?

I think you may want to keep in mind that the UGF you are using has been in place for 3 months, as you stated. You may feel differently in a year when you haul that out of your tank and see all the crud that has remained behind for worms and ICK to multiple. When we down play how great they are, it isn't that we are picking at you. It's just something we have all tried ........the been there/done that thing and are trying to save you problems later on. They also are no good for spawning as eggs get sucked down into the gravel.

Not all of us agree with each other here. It is a forum where we all have different ways of doing things and different opinions. Sorry to see you go as you will miss a lot of good information and miss out on a lot this forum has to offer.
Good luck.

Fishguy2727
04-03-2007, 12:46 AM
UGFs need supplemantal filtration anyways. They just aren't worth it, for the same money you can get much better HOBs which will provide complete filtration.

I mainly use Fluval and Whispers. I would like to try AqauClears because you can reuse the foam and don't need to replace the Biomax, and I don't use carbon at all. I am sick of paying for Bio-bags when I don;t use the carbon anyways.

Sumps are for bigger and more sensitive systems. The only one I woudl really use is Marineland's Tidepool because it has a Biowheel, not bio-balls. Bio-balls can cause problems long term if not properly maintained, and there is no maintanance needed at all for the Biowheel itself.

With canisters you generally get what you pay for. Cheaper ones like the Filstars are not as good as Fluvals, which aren't as good as Eheims.

Sponge filters are really only used for breeder tanks and quarantine/hospital tanks.

Any of these improperly maintained will cause problems with nitrates long term, among other problems. However some will almost guarantee problems while others almost guarantee that there won't be any. For your money go with something like Fluval or AquaClear. They do not require weekly maintenance, are flexible with their media, and will keep cost down long term, even if you do pay a little more in the beginning (which pays mainly for quality). Biowheels are the most efficient form of biological filtration, but the Penguins and Emperors cartridges are expensive and include carbon. So unless they reintroduce the Bio-pro systems, there are other almost as good forms of biological filtration available.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 12:50 AM
What's with the big hyp for Cascades now.......HOTB and canisters? I don't know of anyone who has one but some of the online sites are pushing them big time. Must be getting big bucks for ads.

Rue
04-03-2007, 01:18 AM
...sponge filters are underrated...unless you really need carbon for something, a sponge will take care of you tank...

...problem is...they're ugly...however, I came across one the other day that came with it's own pump...not as ugly as the old ones...

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Depending on the size of the tank and the size and stocking level of your fish. I wouldn't use one in a large tank unless I had other means of filtration but as back ups, I also think they do a good job.

A340
04-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, for my 29g I am running an AC110 and love it. They are probably the most readily available brand in Canada and offer the best choice of various media for a HOB filter. I have mine running with the standard foam, carbon and bio-max inserts. They offer great flow rates but are a bit on the noisy side. Before, I had an Aqua Tec 30-60 and it just didn't cut it. It was quieter then the AC, but it's just a 2 stage filter and you have no way of adding any extra media into it.

Even though I'm the type of person who likes to hide everything in my tanks, I also have a Fluval Plus 2 internal filter in the 29g. It does take some of the viewing area away, but it's well worth it with the extra filteration and aeration it provides. Plus my fish love to swim in the current. It has a much more simple set up though, just the foam and polishing pads.

My 10g came with an Aqua Tec 10-20 HOB filter. This will be replaced with most likely an AC50 and a Fluval Plus 1 (slightly modified), but since the tank will be a nano reef, I still have to do a bit more research.
My 90g (once finally set up) will have 2 canister filters, I'm leaning towards the Eheim 2126's or Fluval 405's with Hydor EHT's built in. But I still have to build a custom stand for it, so it'll be a while yet.

As far as UGF's go, I don't care for them at all. I have had more damage caused by them then not having one.

But, each to their own.....

Patrick :22:

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Always use filters that are rated for much higher than the tank volume. If a filter claims to "be good" for a 30 gallon, you can bet that it's good for a tank of 10 gallons. I use a 350 penguin on my 30 gallon, a penguin 200 on my 20 gallon, etc. The price of a smaller filter compared to that of the next size (or even higher) is not that much difference so always go larger.

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Always use filters that are rated for much higher than the tank volume. If a filter claims to "be good" for a 30 gallon, you can bet that it's good for a tank of 10 gallons. I use a 350 penguin on my 30 gallon, a penguin 200 on my 20 gallon, etc. The price of a smaller filter compared to that of the next size (or even higher) is not that much difference so always go larger.

Hobbs, as you will soon find out, a planted tank is your back up/supplemental filter, and you shouldn't use a HOB while using co2, it will end up wasting a lot of co2. You're water changes will occur to keep trace elements in the water, not keep nitrates down. Mine never go above 15 when I miss a water change.
Wait a minute, that reminds me....

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Anyway i use a magnum 350 canister filter. I know its not the best but it works good for me, i also have 2 powerheads to aid in circulation, which helps big time to deter algae growth.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Are you kidding me? You mean I should turn off my filter? Well, I'll be.

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Are you kidding me? You mean I should turn off my filter? Well, I'll be.
No! don't turn it off, all those poor bacteria in your filter will run out of oxygen. It's just one less thing you have to worry about if the electricity goes out, the plants will help keep the water clean.
I guess what i was trying to point out was that if i didnt have a planted tank, i dont think a single magnum 350 filter would be enough filtration for a 75 gallon tank.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 05:27 PM
You're right. It wouldn't be. That filter and a canister would tho if rated high enough.

OK. back to square one. These planted tanks are certainly a whole new ballgame for me. Between lights, plants, fertilizers, algae, substrate, CO2, bubblers, yadda, yadda, yadda. I remember when having fish tanks was easy........like last month!

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
You're right. It wouldn't be. That filter and a canister would tho if rated high enough.

OK. back to square one. These planted tanks are certainly a whole new ballgame for me. Between lights, plants, fertilizers, algae, substrate, CO2, bubblers, yadda, yadda, yadda. I remember when having fish tanks was easy........like last month!

I started with a planted tank, that's actually what got me into aquariums in the first place. It's like my own underwater greenhouse in my basement. Just wish a had a ton more money to put into it. I started with a substrate heater which i think helps a lot given that my lighting isnt all that great. It's a fact, FW plants have warmer substrate than they do water, and the convection current helps circulate water through the substrate naturally without a (blah) UGF.

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2007, 06:39 PM
One thing I did recently read that if you want a warmer substrate to put styrofoam between the table and the tank. Also good for leveling, as you know, but I never considered it in terms of keeping substrate warmer. It certainly does make more sense, doesn't it?

I see you are trying to keep up with our spammer today. Jerk. He's come back in here about 5 times now under the same user name. He posts, I delete and ban and here he comes again. *hobbs sighs*

Chrona
04-03-2007, 10:08 PM
HOB filters are fine as long as you don't have that waterfall effect (you will probably need a little more CO2 going in to compensate though). However, plants make such a good biological filter that all HOB's are really useful for is removing big particles or chemical filtration. That's why canisters are the way to go for planted, because plants will take up a lot of the bioload and the canister polishes the water clean, not to mention there is no CO2 loss.

xoolooxunny
04-04-2007, 02:47 AM
HOB filters are fine as long as you don't have that waterfall effect (you will probably need a little more CO2 going in to compensate though). However, plants make such a good biological filter that all HOB's are really useful for is removing big particles or chemical filtration. That's why canisters are the way to go for planted, because plants will take up a lot of the bioload and the canister polishes the water clean, not to mention there is no CO2 loss.

I guess I lucked out, I only did HW on creating a decent environment for my plants, and no HW on filtration! But I got a canister filter to start with, and then added a power head to circulate the other side of the tank, good thing i didint dump money on enough HOB filtration for 75 gallons!

Chrona
04-04-2007, 02:49 AM
I did HW on nothing when I first started live plants, as the first pic on my tank journal will show. lol.....

TracyUK
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a 180gal tank and currently have a Fluval 403 but its not enough so we are buying an FX5 this week to run in conjunction with the 403.

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2007, 04:02 PM
WOW. What a nice tank you have. Lucky dog.

TracyUK
04-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Lady Hobbs, this is the tank when we first got it home and set it up so it doesn't quite look finished and we had 1 more door to put on (took them off to move it). I stood my son next to it as pics don't tend to show the size! Also, on the left is a bogwood cave which i love but it doesn't show up in the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/leanne0512/DSCF1219.jpg

Here's the cave

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/leanne0512/DSCF1228.jpg

Chrona
04-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Nice tank! :thumb:

I like the blocked off face too....lol

Drumachine09
04-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Lol!!!! XD

Rue
04-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Nice tank! Gosh...you Brits are so formal...we only wear shirt and ties on special occaisions...:hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
04-09-2007, 12:01 AM

LOL! I just noticed, all of the faces in the pictures under the tank are blocked off too!

TracyUK
04-09-2007, 12:28 AM
lol I blocked the faces off because i don't want my kids faces on the net. Just being safe :-) He's only in a shirt and tie because its his school uniform!:hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Nice tank! Gosh...you Brits are so formal...we only wear shirt and ties on special occaisions...:hmm3grin2orange:

funny story

In grade 10, we had a banquet. Right before, i didnt know if it was formal or not. I wore dress pants and a white t-shirt. When i got there, everyone else had a dress or fancy tux. awkward

dishmando
05-19-2007, 02:05 AM
Well, im currently using 3, yep 3 filters on my 55 gallon. Reason being is this, i first started with the Eheim 2213....... I felt my tank was never crystal clear as people always stated their tanks were. Therefore, i bought a penguin 350 HOB. Didnt help much either....... so i went all out cause i was pissed off that i could never acheive the "crystal clear" tank. I bought a Vortex XL diatom filter. It seemed to do it for me. I was happy with the results.
But i find if i dont use it for a week or so, my tank gets cloudy again. So, im still pissed at the fact that ive worked so hard to get a clear tank, and its only a temporary fix.

Ive almost given up! Anyhow, opinions are as such..... I love the eheim because i cant hear it at all. I actually have to check the output tube to make sure its still spittin water out!!!....The Penguin is great as well, except for it being a little loud when my water level goes down and the waterfall effect is amplified. And last but not least, i love the Vortex for its polishing attributes. It really DOES work!

nanaglen2001
05-19-2007, 04:41 AM
For my 110 gal. tank I use a big fat Eheim 2250.

Eheim may be expensive in the first moment, but its very good quality, and I will still get spare parts for my little monster at least in 2017

My filter is oversized (made for tanks about 250 gal.) but I found out a filtre never cant be too big, especialy when one keeps those messy cichlids.

Even though its a big filtre, its relativly easy to handle and to clean, but when I have to clean it, maybe 3 times a year, I more or less have to renovate my bathroom...boy fish are messy.