PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish newbie.

GloGoldfish
09-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Hmm.. should have posted in the goldfish section.

GloGoldfish
09-24-2009, 01:01 AM
I recently ended up with 2 calico fantails, and although I've kept tropical fish, I've never kept goldies before. They're very young, only about an inch long without their tail. The largest tank I could get my hands on to house them in for the time being is a 15 gallon long. I currently have 2 filters running on this tank, one rated for 40 gallons and the other for 55, as I know goldfish are very messy fish.. I'm just wondering how long I can get by with keeping these guys in a tank this size? How fast do they grow? I know the recommended minimum for 2 fancy goldies is 20+, but since they've ended up in my care I want to give them the best possible scenario with limited funds.. Thanks for any advice :)
Edit/Delete Message

robnepper
09-24-2009, 01:06 AM
The only real issue that I can see is one of space. I have to be honest, I had the white fantail in my avatar in a 10 gallon for a year and a half and he thrived away and grew quite well. It is all about cleanliness and filtration with those guys.

I am saying this to let you know that they will do quite well temporarily in this set up since you have some 95 gallons of filtration on the tank. You could probably get away with the 55 filter if you really wanted but if you're happy with two, so are they.

Don't leave them in that 15 gal though. It's too small for them. They just look so much better in a big tank. As the old adage goes, don't do to them what you wouldn't want done to yourself. They can stay in it until you find a bigger tank is the answer to your question. Just find one as soon as possible, that's all.

Good luck.

Fishguy2727
09-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Read the stickies.

Northernguy
09-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Hmm.. should have posted in the goldfish section.

Dam Rob! Thats quite the answer to this statement! :hmm3grin2orange: thumbs2:

Northernguy
09-24-2009, 01:38 AM
LOL There are some good answers in the last thread that you edited!:22:
The mods will move a thread for you next time.

robnepper
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Cute Ray...;)