PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Minnesota

Speed6 Guy
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Hello my name is Nate. I have just recently (last two years) gotten into keeping fish with a ten gallon tank. At the beginning of the year my wife gave me a surprise that she had picked up from the local exotic pet store. When I got home from work there was two giant boxes in the garage one had a 60 gallon tank and the other one had the stand and all the peripheral items that go with a big tank. I was like wow for once she got me something I like (not the twelve pairs of corduroy pant in the closet).

So that night I got it all unpacked and set up in the living room. When it was all said and done there where two penguin 660 power heads in the tank an under gravel filter as well as an Emperor 400 bio wheel filter. There was also enough gravel to cover the bottom and some rocks to make for nice scenery. I also put two bubble water wheel features in there because the kids love them and the bubbles aerate the water nicely.

Well that is enough for now I love the site and hope to add my input as well as get some good info back out.

Nate

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Welcome. First, you need to read about the fishless cycle before adding fish. This will save you and your fish.

Second, I would suggest removing the UGF. I would return it with the power heads and get yourself a second filter.

Abbeys_Mom
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

sergo
04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
how ya' doin'?
welcome.

TehTANK
04-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome to AC! It is a great site that I sure you will enjoy. There are some great people here who have a lot of information on all fish types and keeping a fish tank. Your first bit of advice came from Laddy Hobbs who is a great person to get to know and has a ton of information on fish keeping. I would take her advice on the under gravel filter and power heads. Return them and get another filter. You are better off that way.

lTehTANKl

Speed6 Guy
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Wow that was a very fast response.

I have had the tank set up for three months now and it has already cycled very nicely and the three angle fish, ten black tetra, two jewel cichlids, one betta and two placo love it and are doing very well. Has for the UGF I am very partial to them and have had very good luck with them. That is the only filter that I have on my 10 gallon tank. But I keep up with the water changes and can maintain a very healthy tank with no trouble.

Thank you for the advice though.

Nate

sushant
04-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome to AC:22:

Incredulous_Ed
04-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Welcome to AC!!

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
i only use UGF's in conjunction with canister filters.

Welcome to ac!

jeffs99dime
04-02-2007, 10:17 PM
welcome to a.c.

Drumachine09
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow that was a very fast response.

I have had the tank set up for three months now and it has already cycled very nicely and the three angle fish, ten black tetra, two jewel cichlids, one betta and two placo love it and are doing very well. Has for the UGF I am very partial to them and have had very good luck with them. That is the only filter that I have on my 10 gallon tank. But I keep up with the water changes and can maintain a very healthy tank with no trouble.

Thank you for the advice though.

Nate

I dont see what everyones beef is with UGFs. They used to be the staple of aquarium technology.

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
by themselves theyre not the best, but i believe if you mix them with another filter like a hob or canister theyre great

Drumachine09
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Well its quite obvious the arent the best, with todays technology. But they did their fair share back before all of the high powered efficent filters. They work just fine.

MisterP
03-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Title says it all. I have a 10 gl community tank and fell in love with it. So now i feel sorry for my fish and just purchased a 55 gallon and have a lot of questions. (imagine that :help: ). Will post pics as soon as i figure it out and cant wait to get good advice from everyone here.

Newbie fish lover, Marcus:22:

troy
03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Welcome. Can you please start your own thread.

Northernguy
03-02-2009, 02:21 AM
LOL Welcome both to the Fabulous AC!:22:

HendersE
03-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Welcome to AC!

Wild Turkey
03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Old post guys LOL

Drumachine is the last post..a year ago!:hmm3grin2orange: