PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish and Hatchets: A Deadly Combo?

Bubs
09-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Quick Question: I have a 12 gal planted aquarium that has a few residents including a small crayfish. I recently bought some anacharis to float at the top in the hopes of purchasing some hatchetfish (a few sites recommended having floating plants). Unfortunately, the crayfish loves to shimmy up the filter tubing and climb around in the anacharis. I was wondering if this would pose some sort of threat to the hatchets or if I shouldn't worry about it. Thanks for any info.

Nobodynotime
09-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome!

Crawfish will eat anything they can get their claws on. Nothing is really safe in a tank with them unless they are extremely fast or big. I had an electric blue that I could only keep feeders with because he would eat all my other fish, but then a heater malfunction cooked him and now guppies happily use that tank.

Do you know what kind of crawfish it is?

Bubs
09-23-2009, 10:45 PM
It's a red lobster (Procambarus sp.). I caught it in the wild about four months ago, treated for parasites, and let it in the tank. It's only about an inch and a half long and lives happily alongside my two zebra danios, neon tetras and gold algae eater. It doesn't bother the other residents as far as I've seen and is a good detritus remover.

Northernguy
09-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Crayfish are great hunters,some better than others!lol
Any fish in a tank with a crayfish is fair game unless its an oscar or something.Than its a snack!

jaysee
09-24-2009, 03:10 AM
If you had a larger tank I'd say you have absolutely nothing to worry about, but in a small tank like that there's a far better chance he'll get one, ESPECIALLY if he has stuff to climb on so he can get into an ambush position. There's just not enough water (space) for the fish to get away. Also, having that floating stuff will dramatically increase the chance of escape. Your best bet is to keep the decor no higher than half the height of the tank, since hatchets occupy the top of the tank. On a side note, a 12 gallon is far too small for hatchet fish.

Bubs
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Is it really? I've been getting some bad information in that case.