PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for wooden canopies HELP

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I was up until 4 AM reading about lighting for canopies and knew no more at 4 AM than when I started reading at 11 PM.

You can buy the reflector and guts and put these lights together but .....ya, right. Obviously they don't know ol Hobbs here.

Is there any reason at all that I can't buy a compact light, drill holes in it, and just screw it into my hood? Does EVERYTHING have to be so completed? Not one place does it say you can not use compact lighting like this but then, not one place does it say you can not.

I also brainstormed the idea of under the counter lighting which can be mounted but I don't believe they will support lighting with a high enough output.

Ideas? Suggestions? Opinions? Thoughts? Schemes? Wishingful thinkings?
Musings? Brain Stinkers?

sergo
04-02-2007, 03:22 PM
this is a wood hood right?
is it vented so the heat can escape?

Chrona
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.ahsupply.com/

Reflectors screw right into canopy (as well as the ballast). Bulbs attach to reflector mounts. Easy as that.

Most full fixtures (in the aquarium trade) are the width of the tank, and may not fit under a canopy very well.

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11419&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Portal-_-Sortprice-_-Fish-_-SunPaq%20Double%20Lamp%20Retrofit%20Kit%20(36)&ref=4060&subref=AA

Found one. And even looks like I can install it.

Sergo, the whole backside of this canopy has been cut out to accomodate HOB filters. Actually, there is no back at all other than for the 1 inch framework.

Now, for which one to order. I think the 4 light is rather over-kill and I don't need all that much light. And what are the blue blubs for?

Chrona
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
How wide is the canopy/tank? and what size is it?

Blue lights are actinic, for reef tanks. No use in planted.

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Chrona, I looked at that already. You have gotta be kidding. That thing has 3000 parts and I have 1 part brain.

Chrona
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Chrona, I looked at that already. You have gotta be kidding. That thing has 3000 parts and I have 1 part brain.

It's the exact same thing as the retrofit kit lol. It just comes with all the hardware you could possibly need to attach it. The other ones do not, so you may need to ru to the hardware store. Most likely you won't even need 95% of those bits and pieces.

Retrofit kit is just reflector, bulb (need to purchase seperately somtimes), ballast and screws basically.

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 04:45 PM
48 inches. I did see plant bulbs yesterday "somewhere" that lists blue lights can be used with white lights but read so much I can't remember why.

Chrona
04-02-2007, 04:52 PM
48 inches. I did see plant bulbs yesterday "somewhere" that lists blue lights can be used with white lights but read so much I can't remember why.

After extensive research on this issue myself (since my fixture came with a 50/50 (10000k + actinic) bulb), actinic is benefical only after your main lighting needs are met( as a supplementary light), which is kind of a waste unless you have the money to spend on a bigger fixture. Better you get a 6700k + 10000k bulb combo. The color will look better too. Actinic makes everything look really unnatural.

For 48 inches, getting the AHS kit (and the bulbs) is probably the best way to go. This is for the 55g right? 2x 55 watt fixtures would be perfect with DIY CO2. Since everything AHS uses is more efficient (ballast, reflector), you'll probably have the equivalent of 2.5 watts/gallon. That 4x 65 watt fixture (if you replaced the actinics with white bulbs) would be a monster and pretty much mandate pressurized CO2 + a fertilizing routine

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
OK. I could see no point in blue bulbs myself and it bugged me that every light I liked come with them.

I also read today that compact lighting, just sitting on the glass hood, can crack the glass due to heat. That site the other day in AZ Gardens said to use them on the glass tops. Crap! Can they possibly make any of this more confusing.

Actually, after living on my own most of my life, I am pretty handy at stuff but I hate electricial "anything". Dimmer switches are about the extent of it for me. But if I calm down and read the directions, I'll be able to do it.

Thanks again.

Are you cheating on the lottery? LOL

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Part 11557 - 55 Watt 7800K Compact Bulb
This bulb is just slightly bluer and cooler than the 6700K but maintains a balanced full spectrum for good growth.
Price: $18.99

Is there some reason this wouldn't work......two of them?

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Never mind. I will order the others. I just like to ask question. LOL

This is on the menu for next month! Already got one light to buy this month.

Chrona
04-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Basically anything 6700-10000k full spectrum will work. It's just those weird numbers in between are harder to find. Supposedly ADA 8800k bulbs look the best, but I guess it's personal opinion, heh

Power compacts don't put out enough heat to crack glass hoods (I don't think even metal halides do). Plus, since you are mounting it on a canopy, there will be plenty of space, and ventilation is not an issue if you already have cutouts on the back for the HOBs. It'll get warm, but that's about it. Just don't hit it with anything :P