PDA

View Full Version : cfgsteak's 46G

cfgsteak
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Ok, I have finished stocking my 46G tank!

After removing the vicious Salad I have added some smaller more active fish.

Here is what I stocked:

8 Tiger Barbs - first 6 added on 9-16, second 2 added 9/21
8 Gold Barbs - added 9/21
2 Bolivian Rams - added 9/22
1 Red Tailed Shark - added 9/22
1 Common Pleco - added 9/21

The 6 largest tiger barbs survived Salad. They are still a bit skittish. The Golds are doing great. They were added the same day as the 2 little Tigers and the Pleco.

Yesterday I added the Bolivian Rams and the Red Tailed Shark. They are all adjusting well and eating. The Rams are AWESOME. Very beautiful. I am pretty sure I have a male and female...time will tell. The Shark seems happy so far.

All fish seem happy and healthy. No signs of disease. Two of the original Tigers seem stressed still. I will keep a close eye on those two.

I also bought a rock and a piece of driftwood yesterday. I boiled them and the wood is still soaking for tannins removal. I hope to get it in tonight if the water is right, but hopefully by tomorrow. I have some Java Moss ready to be tied to the wood and I am looking for some JAva fern for my first plant attempts.

My last water change was Monday the 21st. Current water temp is 81.

cfgsteak
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Yesterday I planted a rotala plant, a green hygro and I put a java fern and java moss in the tank. I also did a 30% water change.

I have continued to saok my driftwood. It is still putting out tannins...but the water this morning was a weak tea color, I should be good to put it in the tank tonight. I plan to pin the java fern to the back of the driftwood. I was going to put the moss on the driftwood too, but I am going to attach it to my rock formation instead I think.

Fish seem happy!

Lab_Rat
09-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Sounds nice! Now where are the pics??? :hmm3grin2orange:

cfgsteak
09-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds nice! Now where are the pics??? :hmm3grin2orange:

:shappy:

I will take some tonight after I add the driftwood. I am pretty excited about it! Its really hard not to keep running to the LFS and buying new plants now. I think I will add some little ones for the foreground this weekend.

Northernguy
09-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Make sure you use a stainless steel pin or just tie it on with fishing line or an elastic to the driftwood.
I agree pics would be nice!thumbs2:

Lab_Rat
09-24-2009, 04:40 PM

I will take some tonight after I add the driftwood. I am pretty excited about it! Its really hard not to keep running to the LFS and buying new plants now. I think I will add some little ones for the foreground this weekend.

You can add plants as fast as you want. Unlike fish, plants will only help the biofilter. Soon you'll find yourself upgrading the lighting and dosing co2. :hmm3grin2orange:

cfgsteak
09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks Nothernguy, I am just going to use black thread that I tie flies with. Or green. Or olive. When you tie flies you collect a crazy selection of thread. (blush)

Lab Rat, that is funny. I am borderline OCD...this hobby works perfectly with obsessiveness. :hmm3grin2orange:

cfgsteak
09-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Ok! I did a 40% water change yesterday to compensate for adding too many fish too fast. Water quality is still excellent. I added 6 little grass looking plants last night and a Crypto too...3 of the grassies have some kinda of webby looking film on them, I didn't rince them well enough.

I also added my driftwood! It looks cool (although I think the tank looks a little crowded). I want to ditch the Roman Colosium...but the family revolted. So it stays for now! :shappy:

I also fed the fish their first frozen brine shrimp (I thawed them first, :shappy: ). They seemed to love them! And my pleco grubbed some cucumber last night! Everyone seems to be happy.

Oh, the Golds were in spawning mode this morning...and the Rams seem to be digging a hole in the corner...

cfgsteak
09-25-2009, 04:11 PM
current pic:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/cfgsteak/DSCN2361.jpg

rich311k
09-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Very nice setup!

Lolita
09-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Your tank looks beautiful! I like the set up a lot! So much swimming room!

cfgsteak
09-25-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks for the nice comments!

cfgsteak
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
DOH! It was just pointed out to me that my "Bolivian" Rams are in fact German Blue Rams.

Lab_Rat
09-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Looks very nice! The GBR are more sensitive than the bolivians, you'll need to make sure your nitrates stay under 10ppm for them. They're great fish though.

cfgsteak
09-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Looks very nice! The GBR are more sensitive than the bolivians, you'll need to make sure your nitrates stay under 10ppm for them. They're great fish though.

Thanks! So far so good on water quality. I am being vigilant.

The Rams are helping me win the "pleco replacement" battle due to their sensitivity to the water conditions. Well, that and everytime the kids look at Sneakers (the common pleco's name) he is making a huge poop. :shappy:

cfgsteak
09-26-2009, 09:01 PM
I added a long onion plant today and 3 more little crypts. I had to move one crypt (argh) to make room on the side.

I did my last water change on Thursday. I am planning one for tomorrow.

Oh, I have been changing up the fishes food lately. I gave them frozen brine shrimp on Thursday for the first time. The fish LOVED them. Today I bought frozen bloodworms and some live brine shrimp. I am looking forward to feeding them the shrimp for dinner. They have also had tubifex worms in a wafer (another big hit) along with flakes and some sinking cichlid nuggets.

bushwhacker
09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
go easy on the live foods, fish need they veggies too... live treats once or twice a week are great but a lot of fish dont need a high protien diet

domjd05
09-27-2009, 12:07 AM
WOW I have the same bowfront 46g (only mine is oak trim) and I had the SAME colleseum(sp?) decoration in the same spot.. facing the same direction.. I put a live plant right in the middle.. looked pretty good, lol. Wierd.

cfgsteak
09-27-2009, 01:17 AM
WOW I have the same bowfront 46g (only mine is oak trim) and I had the SAME colleseum(sp?) decoration in the same spot.. facing the same direction.. I put a live plant right in the middle.. looked pretty good, lol. Wierd.

That is crazy! The fish really love the colleseum (I can't spell it either).

Thanks for the advice Bushwacker! I'm planning to give them live foods occasionally but mostly stick to flakes and pellets.

cfgsteak
11-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Way overdue for an update. I increased my filtration today by adding a AquaClear 70. So now I have that and the Whisper 20-40 and the UGF.

I have added a bunch of plants since my last update. There are no artificial plants in the tank. This really seemed to stress my filtration system, the Whisper was back-flowing every 3 or 4 days. I hope this helps with that...

I am not running any carbon in filters due to the plants. The plants are growing like CRAZY! They are light colored on top though, I think I need to increase my light output.

In the last two months I lost 2 tiger barbs and a female ram. My pleco is basically growing out of control, she will be moving in the next 2 weeks. I did replace my female ram today and my male is MUCH happier.

I am considering adding more fish...currently rainbow fish are at the top of my list.

I am still doing weekly water changes and my water readings have remained excellent. Will post new pics soon. Got some great shots of my red-tailed shark today.

cfgsteak
11-13-2009, 05:15 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/cfgsteak/DSCN3140.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/cfgsteak/DSCN3112.jpg

cfgsteak
11-13-2009, 05:18 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/cfgsteak/DSCN3105.jpg

cfgsteak
01-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Its been a while since I updated!

Currently I have removed the coloseum and the fake rock formation and replaced them with driftwood and my own real rocks.

I finally got rid of the common pleco (re-homed to a bigger tank) and added some new fish.

I have a bushy nose pleco and 5 cories. The cories are Schwartzi cories. They are cute. I will be picking up 2 more later this week to make a bigger school.

My tank is completely planted now, no artificial plants. I have had no fish die since my last report, although I have a tiger barb suffering from an internal tumor and I imagine his time is short. I have not had great luck wit hthe tiger barbs, I am assuming it is becaseu they are inbred or something. Water params are always great and my gold barbs are completely happy and healthy.

My new female ram has laid eggs about 4 times...she is growing and seems a lot healthier then the first female I had. The male is doing great.

My red tailed shark is also doing well, he is growing like crazy. He is about 4 inches long now. Hs is fairly agressive with the gold barbs around feeding time, but otherwise leaves the other fish alone.

Lab_Rat
01-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Sounds like you're doing well. Yay for live plants and driftwood! Now where are the pics???

cfgsteak
01-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Sounds like you're doing well. Yay for live plants and driftwood! Now where are the pics???

:ssmile:

I am shooting some tomorrow, I am too tired now, and its time for a cold beer! I love the live plants and driftwood, I did not care for the artificial (and completely out of scale) look of the coloseum.

cfgsteak
01-12-2010, 02:30 AM
I bought 2 more cories today, they fit right in with their old gang.

I unfortunately came home to a dead tiger barb though. And my male Ram looks terrible...he looks like my female did before she died. His eyes are starting to pop a bit, I am treating him with melafix now. Crap. That is my favorite fish...

I expected the Tiger Barb death, but the Ram being sick is a shock...

Anyway, now I am too depressed to take pictures...maybe later...

cfgsteak
01-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Male Ram (Fred) died.

:scry: