PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Action!!--Oh no!!

geminidragn
09-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Well I had an interesting emergency that required some extreme action today.

I have a 3 gallon tank that has been sitting on my kitchen counter. This tanks holds my male Silver and Copper Crown-tail; Mercury. Well the cat got interested and managed to knock of the top and was try to fish!! When he saw me coming he scooted of the counter so fast that he accident push the tank off. Talk about quick reflexes--on the cat's and my part. I scooped up my fish before the cat could get him. Washed him off and made sure nothing was sticking to him and put him in his cup.

The 3 gallon cracked and will not hold water now. So I had to figure out where to put him as I do not have another tank. I remember seeing a post that someone has one of their male in a community tank with female bettas. So I decide to try it. I did not want to put Mercury in there with them because he has been isolated and has not had contact with my other guys yet to see his reaction to other fish. I decide on putting my male Cambodian Crown-tail; Corona, in with the girls.

So far so good. No chasing and nipping but I see a romance trying to start.:1luvu: Seems the yellow female; Sunshine, is interested in him and follows him around trying to present herself and she keeps the other girls away from him. At least now I know which female to use for Corona when breeding time comes.

As for Mercury, he is in the 10 gallon with Azul :fish: (who turn 4 today) because Azul is older and more mellow. Plus the current is lower in that tank so it will give Mercury time to exercise his muscles after being in a small tank.

bluebluecow
09-22-2009, 05:16 AM
what a save, is this perminant or tempory, may be worth if you dont have it having pplenty of planting for hidy places for the females, i find with mine that whity is a flirt will flirt with both males but in the morning is always resting next to big red purple is trying to challange her for tank queen position, and baldy, blue and white wants to be with the blue and white crowntail male

Liz

geminidragn
09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I have four hiding places and plenty of plants. Each hiding place is space apart enough so there is no crowding.

It depends on the fish if its permanent or not. I kind of like see Corona in the tank with the girl. (Strawberry, Rainbow, Angel, and Sunshine--pecking order in that order).

Sharon
09-22-2009, 10:47 AM
So Mercury and Azul are in the 10 together? Both are males?

Neon
09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
so ...after all I can try to add a female Betta with my lone heart:l19: Sam

Northernguy
09-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Normally with bettas if you put a male and female in the same tank they will fight to the death.
The same goes for two males!
Good luck and I hope it works for you!

Sharon
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Ditto!thumbs2:

geminidragn
09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, so far so good. Corona is pretty mellow.

They went all night with Corona in thier tank. No fighting or damaged fins. Just alot of chasing. Going to keep an eye on them all day to make sure nothing happens. Seems Corona does not like Rainbow and keeps chasing her away if she get too close. He does flare out sometimes but thats been the jist of it.

Hope I can get a new tank soon, I have to wait to make sure the funds are in order first before I splurge on another tank. My husband keeps saying that we will have to start calling our house "Wendy's Fish Emporuim"--LOL, because of all the tanks and fish!

geminidragn
09-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. Yes, Mercury and Azul are in the same tank but there is a divider to keep them separated.

Northernguy
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
That is a good thing!
The bad fights always happens when we aren't looking.I am glad you used a divider.thumbs2:

krystalsohun
09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
well someone on here got there answer. i read somewhere on here i think in the chatterbox that someone didnt think a cat could knock over there 1 gallon. well apparently they can. sorry about your tank but at least your fish are okay. you should tell your husband that your not getting another tank just a bigger replacement.:hmm3grin2orange:

geminidragn
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
LOL.

He doesn't understand my fasination with our aquatic friends. I am lucky he lets me have them in the first place. But he wants to make me happy--plus I think he secretly likes having them around- (he did pick out his own fish; which he named Pancho Villa)