PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

LoganWasHere
04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey everybody,

The name's Logan, and I'm from NJ. I'm new and I just want to say 'hello!'

I've been taking care of my family's fishtank for nearly six years now; it pretty much became mine after my parent's divorced. My dad had been keeping goldfish for years; he also tried keeping a pair of cichlids in it, but I don't think he understood the whole concept of using a heater. Needless to say, when he left, he pretty much left the aquarium to me. Around Octobor of last year, the canister filter finally broke and the whole tank pretty much was left empty for the next several months. I've always wanted to turn the tank into a tropical freshwater. This past Christmas, my mom surprised me with a AquaClear 70 power filter and a heater so that I could do so.

The fishtank is either a 55g or 65g. My parents tend to disagree on this. My dad swears up-and-down that it is a 65g, while my mom is pretty sure it is a 55. Is there anyway to figure out how many gallons a cornertank is?

Anyhow, I cleaned the gravel and plastic plants that were left over from my dad's goldfish tank, got a decent-sized driftwood decoration and several rocks, and refilled the tank. It went through about a month of fishless cycling, and then in late January, I got my first fish: 2 platies and 6 neon tetras.

Currently, I have:
6 platies (3 red wagtails & 3 gold Mickey Mouse)
6 neon tetras
3 cory catfish
1 bushynose antricus
1 dwarf gourami

Any advice is welcome. :)

Chrona
04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Hey everybody,

The name's Logan, and I'm from NJ. I'm new and I just want to say 'hello!'

I've been taking care of my family's fishtank for nearly six years now; it pretty much became mine after my parent's divorced. My dad had been keeping goldfish for years; he also tried keeping a pair of cichlids in it, but I don't think he understood the whole concept of using a heater. Needless to say, when he left, he pretty much left the aquarium to me. Around Octobor of last year, the canister filter finally broke and the whole tank pretty much was left empty for the next several months. I've always wanted to turn the tank into a tropical freshwater. This past Christmas, my mom surprised me with a AquaClear 70 power filter and a heater so that I could do so.

The fishtank is either a 55g or 65g. My parents tend to disagree on this. My dad swears up-and-down that it is a 65g, while my mom is pretty sure it is a 55. Is there anyway to figure out how many gallons a cornertank is?

Anyhow, I cleaned the gravel and plastic plants that were left over from my dad's goldfish tank, got a decent-sized driftwood decoration and several rocks, and refilled the tank. It went through about a month of fishless cycling, and then in late January, I got my first fish: 2 platies and 6 neon tetras.

Currently, I have:
6 platies (3 red wagtails & 3 gold Mickey Mouse)
6 neon tetras
3 cory catfish
1 bushynose antricus
1 dwarf gourami

Any advice is welcome. :)

Welcome to AC!

As for the tank, can you measure the height and radius of the tank? (I'm assuming it's a 1/4 circle corner tank)

It sounds like you have a nice setup going, although I would recommend additional filtration if you plan on adding a lot more fish, since filter ratings always tend to be a bit higher than they actually should. As it stands, the tank is well understocked (a good thing), so you don't really need it.

crackatinny
04-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Welcome to AC, in the main menu on the left hand side you will find a calculator, this should solve the tank size once and for all.:thumb:

blue fin
04-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Welcome fellow Jerseyite! Make sure you have a proper test kit for your acquarium, go online to petsmart.com and you may be able find a great bargain on the proper kit. I saved 10 bucks over the in-store price.
Good Luck with your tank

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Welcome! to find the size, theres a calculator on the side that you put in the dimensions and it tells you how many liters or gallons it is.

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 01:15 AM
welcome to the AC

Severus
04-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Welcome to AC

jeffs99dime
04-02-2007, 02:22 AM
welcome to a.c.

fraley
04-02-2007, 09:40 AM
hi
: - )

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
48 x 12 x 21 is a 55
48 x 12 x 23 is a 65

Welcome to AC.

Abbeys_Mom
04-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

sergo
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
welcome aboard

sushant
04-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Welcome to AC:19:

Incredulous_Ed
04-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Welcome to AC!!!

LoganWasHere
04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone. :P

Anyhow, my tank is a 1/4 circle corner tank, which makes it very difficult to find a calculator to figure out what the volume is. All the calculators I can find are for full circle tanks, hex tanks, or the typical rectangular tank. But, the height is 24 in., the width is 27in., and the length of the curved side (which I assume is the radius you were referring to, Chrona) is roughly 40 in.

I am assuming that my tank is most likely 65g because when I plug in the volumes (except for the 40 in.) as if I had a rectangular tank, it comes up at 75g.

Drumachine09
04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone. :P

Anyhow, my tank is a 1/4 circle corner tank, which makes it very difficult to find a calculator to figure out what the volume is. All the calculators I can find are for full circle tanks, hex tanks, or the typical rectangular tank. But, the height is 24 in., the width is 27in., and the length of the curved side (which I assume is the radius you were referring to, Chrona) is roughly 40 in.

I am assuming that my tank is most likely 65g because when I plug in the volumes (except for the 40 in.) as if I had a rectangular tank, it comes up at 75g.

Welcome to the A.C.!

I think your tank is a 65 gallon.

I love Pufferfish
04-03-2007, 01:59 PM
welcome to the forum

Wayout994
04-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Hi my name is william. I just got started with a fresh water aquarium. I live outside of town and thus have well water. Its good but high minerals. And I can't bring the ph down in the tank. Any thoughts , I would appreciate some advice.
Wayout994@gmail.com
So ill also say hello to everyone here.

EmmanuelJB
04-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Welcome to Aquatic Community! :welcomeconfetti:

MrRobarto
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the AC!

Bristley
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the AC, glad to have you aboard.

Aminax
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome! Your tank sounds like a very nice mix indeed!

wildfish1011
04-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Welcome to a.c

SunSchein89
04-30-2010, 05:38 AM
If you could only find a calculator for a full circle tank, enter in the appropriate dimensions of your quarter circle tank and then divide by 4 (multiplying where necessary to properly fill out the calculator in cases of diameter vs. radius, etc.) :22: . Welcome to the AC, anyhow.

To Wayout994, you're welcome to start your own thread and not hijack this one thumbs2: .