PDA

View Full Version : Gourami mouth

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I first posted about this about a week ago and it seems the consensus was that the fish is okay. I'm still a bit worried though as the one side of the mouth is still pretty pink and looks bumpy (kind of like a fat lip, but only on one side). I was able to get some new pictures this evening.

The first is the Gourami in question and the second image is an image of a normal Gourami and then the fish in question.

Thanks everyone.

Edited to add water parameters:
Temp 82
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitates 10ppm

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Could it be a blister? i dont think its cotton mouth.

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Could it be a blister? i dont think its cotton mouth.

I think I would agree with it not being cotton mouth (though I am still looking for an image of what cotton mouth is) as so far everyone else in the tank appears healthy (i.e. it hasn't spread, which it seems that cotton mouth spreads quickly).

If it is a blister, how in the world would he get one there?

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I believe from these pictures this fish has mouth fungus. Not uncommon but should be treated with a fungal med if metafix hasn't helped. Metafix didn't help my bala sharks mouth fungus, either.

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 11:33 PM
if its not fungus, maybe he scraped himself on a rock or piece of wood, or touched the heater with his mouth for too long.

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I believe from these pictures this fish has mouth fungus. Not uncommon but should be treated with a fungal med if metafix hasn't helped. Metafix didn't help my bala sharks mouth fungus, either.

okay I will pick up some meta fix and try that as soon as I can find an open dealer, and if that does not work I will look for some anti fungals.

I will have to half dose because of the loaches? Is this correct?

thanks for your help.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
He does have some white there which tells me it's fungus. There's also a red mark but possibly the fungus has gotten deep enough to cause a slight bleed. Either way, treating him with fungus meds will not hurt him and possibly due him some good.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I've used full dose with my loaches with no problems. It's an all natural product so I don't think it will bother them any. As already mentioned, Metafix did not help with my fishes mouth fungus but you can give it a try.

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 11:55 PM
melafix and pimafix are safe for most sensitive fish. Its all natural and isnt some chemical stuff.

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
gracis
danke
merci
thank you

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 01:13 AM
I don't know if the picture does it justice, but as I look at the mouth in real life, the more I cannot help but think that he is missing a chunk of his lip. I am sure it was just red and puffy last night, but tonight as He gets close there is a clear indentation and lack of tissue on his lip.

Is this common with a fungus or might this be a different problem.

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 01:19 AM
i dont know if it is maybe a bacteria. I dont know if it is a gram-negative or gram-positive bacteria either, so i guess see what someone else says

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 01:26 AM
thanks for some more direction cocoa I will check those diseases out.

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Could he have been biten by another fish? I thought of that when I first saw the pic, too, but gourami's don't bite like that and I don't know what else you have in the tank.

It still gives me call to site my first reason: fungus that has gone deep and has possibly eaten away at the tissue.

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 02:30 AM
YEAH, thats what i was thinking too. Maybe it was in a lip locking contest with another fish or something? Jack dempseys mainly do that, but do gouramis?

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Could he have been biten by another fish? I thought of that when I first saw the pic, too, but gourami's don't bite like that and I don't know what else you have in the tank.

It still gives me call to site my first reason: fungus that has gone deep and has possibly eaten away at the tissue.

I don't think we have any biters in our tank (the tank occupants are listed down in the signature) or at least none that we've noticed. The Gouramis do like to do their little dance and flare their feelers at one another (we have 3, and this poor guy is the only one that appears to have the mouth issue).

We'll defiantly be picking up some fungal treatment tomorrow (and probably some metafix too)

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 02:51 AM
use melafix and pimafix combined

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 11:00 PM
and this little fellow is to blame!

Our LFS also thought it was fungal and suggested APIs fungal powder, so we did the first dosage tonight. Anyone know when we might see the tank start to clear (we have to do one more does in 48hrs, then wait 48hrs more before we can do a water change).

As an aside, my wife got some other pictures that were really good, but alas the fish were swimming in pea soup!

Chrona
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey your plants look so green! :hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I think a leprechaun drowned in his tank

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Hey your plants look so green! :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't they though? I was thinking we could add green food color to the tank on a regular basis :)

To think we had to do this when the water was finally crystal clear, sigh.....

hungryhound
04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
I think a leprechaun drowned in his tank

Either that or he put some spell on the tank! :ezpi_wink1: