PDA

View Full Version : CRS eggs

kimbo
09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
AM I correct that CRS are livebearers? One of my CRS just discarded all its eggs, what would cause this?

korith
09-19-2009, 08:18 PM
AM I correct that CRS are livebearers? One of my CRS just discarded all its eggs, what would cause this?

If it is her first time carrying sometimes will drop them.
If they molt sometimes will not pick them up again.
Also possibly water conditions are off.

You could try to hatch them, put in a small container with an air stone. Making sure there is enough a lot water agitation to keep them moving. Do regular water changes., use water from an existing tank. Might have luck hatching them this way, read other sites where this has worked. Main concern is fungus.

VoidParadigm
09-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Do you have a water testing kit? If so what are the readings? Perhaps she was stressed.

Agreed that you could try to hatch them in a small bowl or another tank. Again; main concern is fungus. I just lost half a batch of fish eggs to fungus, myself.

kimbo
09-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Do you have a water testing kit? If so what are the readings? Perhaps she was stressed.

Agreed that you could try to hatch them in a small bowl or another tank. Again; main concern is fungus. I just lost half a batch of fish eggs to fungus, myself.

Nitrates are between 10 and 20 (I can't seem to get them lower. Recently added plants though...)
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Ph ~7.6

thezookeeper
09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Whats your water tempature at. I breed crs, both red and black, and have found that they will dump eggs at temps above 78 degrees and have my best success at around 72 degrees. You will also notice they are more active at lower temps and I have more eggs being carried at lower temps.

kimbo
09-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Whats your water tempature at. I breed crs, both red and black, and have found that they will dump eggs at temps above 78 degrees and have my best success at around 72 degrees. You will also notice they are more active at lower temps and I have more eggs being carried at lower temps.

My water is showing right around 78 degrees right now. The heater is turned all the way down, so I'm not sure I can get it any lower.