PDA

View Full Version : What is this???

scthomps
04-01-2007, 07:04 PM
i bought it from the lfs and dont think they had it ID'ed correctly. Anyone know what it is?? I appreciate your help!

i attached a picture .jpg

Abbeys_Mom
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I think it is a tiger lotus.
http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-104.htm

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 07:12 PM
looks like bright tiger lotus

scthomps
04-01-2007, 07:15 PM
i dont think it is bc the stalk does not go to the middle of the leaves also there is no cut in the leaves.. the leaves are pink on the bottom and green on the top. it was in poor water quality and light when i bought it so that could be why though... should i take another picture?

scthomps
04-01-2007, 07:17 PM
the leaves are oval shaped

Abbeys_Mom
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
It looks like a variant. Leaf shape can be altered by water conditions. I can't identify the particular strain, but I would have to say it is a lotus. Is there a bulb, or is it a stem plants?

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.azgardens.com/images/RedTigerLotus.gif

tiger lotus Nymphea maculeta

You'll need bright light with this plant or will not get the red color you want.

scthomps
04-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Theres no bulb attached although maybe it had one originally.. the roots are just growing out of the stem. it was under really really poor light at the store and its still got some pink color. the only thing thats really got me is the oval leaf shape...

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Plants can have alot of variables. There are lots of java fern variants out there.

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't know what it is, But I do not think that this is a tiger lotus. If you look at the tiger lotus the major viens of the leaves are arranged palnmately (i.e. they all join togethr at a single point). Where as in the picture in question the leaf viens are arranged pinnately.(cental vien with multiple smaller viens coming out at right angles.

I know that the leaves may be different as a juvenile, but the entire structure of them will not change. I do not believe that these are a tiger lotus, but do not have the experience to tell you what it is.

scthomps
04-01-2007, 09:34 PM
i agree, im working on posting another picture right now that shows the leaves better. i just dont think the leaves are the same shape as a lotus. Does it make a difference that one side of the leaf is green while one side is r ed?

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 09:37 PM
The color might help in the identification, but when comparing your picture to the tiger lotus the structural differences appear to be greater than what I would expect to see of two plants in the same species. The vein pattern on the leaf is typically conserved (the same or similar) between species as it is a common identification used in plant keys.

scthomps
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
maybe this helps...

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm new to the hobby, but I defiantly say that's not a tiger lotus as not only are the veins wrong, this looks almost to be a stem plant and the branching at the bottom is completely wrong for a tiger lotus.

It looks like an amazing plant and I hope someone here can help with the identification!

scthomps
04-01-2007, 09:44 PM
i think the lfs said it was some type of crpyt. I dont think thats right though. hopefully somebody knows what it is!

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
OK I changed my mind on the larger picture. This plant seems to be coming from one stem then branching out. Leaves are longer, slimmer and shaped totally differently.

scthomps
04-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I have scoured the web for something like it. No luck so far. What can i use to search for it by just typing in the characteristics.

crackatinny
04-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Can't you phone the lfs you got it from to find out what it is?, I had it in one of my tanks when I first set it up, but can't remember what it was called, my silver dollars loved it though, it only lasted about a week.

Chrona
04-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Try posting the pictures here (on the forums) and asking for an ID:

www.plantedtank.net

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
In my opinion, this site has the best site for plants.

http://www.azgardens.com/fish_snails.php

But as you say, lots of searching for it. Possibly you could post "red plants for fish tanks" and something will come up with that description.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 11:30 PM
http://www.aquahobby.com/e_garden.php

Oh brother. This one has them all.

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 11:35 PM
some stores are useless. When i got my auratus from petsmart a few months ago, it was labeled "assorted cichlids". I remember asking jeff what it was, then i thought it was a m.chikopae. Turns out its a auratus. Theyre supposidly big bullies but mine gets along with my lamp. brichardi fine. all he cares about is his food and biting my index finger.

scthomps
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
ya the store i got it from didnt know flying fox from the sae.

scthomps
04-01-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.aquahobby.com/e_garden.php

Oh brother. This one has them all.

closest thing i see off this list is the lilies but the leaves look different