PDA

View Full Version : Betta in community?

sandypants
09-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a betta in a 1.5 minscule tank- TINY I know but I had to rearrange some fish and now I think he can go in the 16 g with my community fish. He seems pretty peaceful and even with a mirror in front of him he doesn't get to rilled up, just kinda checks it out, doesn't flare up much or go nuts. I keep reading that you can put bettas in community tanks as long as there is nothing similar looking- the only thing even close at ALL would be my dwarf rainbow but only because they are colorful, no big flowing fins. The rest are basically tetras and a GBR and SAE. If I put him in (after proper aclimation of course) and keep an eye on him, should everyone be okay? Would appreciate answers from people that have or have had experience w/ bettas in community tanks.

Also- what about water temp. His is currently not heated and stays around 76. The community tank is at 80. Do they like warmer water?

AND finally- tank size. Seems like it would seem ginormus to have him in a 16g after 1.5g. I have read some bettas DON'T like more room- is this true? He seems happy now.

If I don't put him in the 16g I can leave him where he is for awhile- again he is happy and healthy, has some snail friends. OR I can put him in with my bumblebee goby (not the pea puffer) in a 5g. Thoughts?

rich311k
09-18-2009, 05:57 PM
I think it would be alright with your stocking.

sandypants
09-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you Rich. I think I may try it this weekend. I will be home so I can keep an eye on everyone.

rich311k
09-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Good idea. Always good to have a backup plan.

sandypants
09-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Anyone else have thoughts or experience with a betta in a community tank???:partyangel:

jaysee
09-18-2009, 07:06 PM
I also think you will be fine.

I don't think it's that bettas don't like the extra room - I think it's that they don't like a strong current.

Deleted User
09-18-2009, 07:10 PM
We have four bettas. Two in their own little betta bows (w/ filters and heaters) and two in separte 10g community tanks w/ glowlights & platies. They all do well :)

sandypants
09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you Jaysee and Jill! I think he's going to head to the 16g this weekend. I will miss him in the kitchen though. I have 2 roommates and when we walk by him we all give him a "hello RJ!" I am sure he will like the space in the 16. I keep the current on the lowest setting.

cubby
09-18-2009, 09:54 PM
i have mine in my community tank.

honestly, i have only ever had ONE betta which WASN'T in a comm tank.

sheamurai
09-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I have a betta in two of my community tanks, and they are both fine. I have had one in the past that was just too aggressive, and had to remove to a solitary tank, but thats the first and only betta I've ever had that problem with.
As far as the tank being too big - I think the reason they seem to "not like" bigger tanks/faster flow is that they physically aren't used to truly swimming. Just like anyone else, they have to tone up their body to take on extra exercise. Every betta I've introduced to the 77gal tank rested often in the first week, but soon was poking their noses into every nook and cranny (like bettas do, lol) and playing in the filter outflow and bubble currents. I think they love a bit of current (mine are always playing in it), they just need to muscle up a bit after being in a stagnant cup or small tank all of their lives.

jaysee
09-19-2009, 04:28 AM
I have a betta in two of my community tanks, and they are both fine. I have had one in the past that was just too aggressive, and had to remove to a solitary tank, but thats the first and only betta I've ever had that problem with.
As far as the tank being too big - I think the reason they seem to "not like" bigger tanks/faster flow is that they physically aren't used to truly swimming. Just like anyone else, they have to tone up their body to take on extra exercise. Every betta I've introduced to the 77gal tank rested often in the first week, but soon was poking their noses into every nook and cranny (like bettas do, lol) and playing in the filter outflow and bubble currents. I think they love a bit of current (mine are always playing in it), they just need to muscle up a bit after being in a stagnant cup or small tank all of their lives.

My girlfriends goldfish (the size of my fist) lived for years in a 10 gallon. One of the first things I bought her was a 29 for her goldfish. Well, that fish was not used to swimming and had trouble for a week or so.

sandypants
09-19-2009, 04:29 AM
That makes sense Sheamuri- that they have to tone up first for all of the swimming!

Okay so I aclimated RJ this evening for about an hour- just to get temps adjusted etc.... and moved him into the big one- I had originally been concerned about him maybe going after my Dwarf Rainbows but BOY WAS I WRONG! The females (being typical of something prettier than they are) went after HIM- AND some of the glo-light tetras were following him around, nipping fins a few times! I feel terrible. He flared up a couple times when he was sick of being picked on and the tetras scattered (it was like they had ganged up on him) and he calmed back down. I am sure it's a lot adjusting to a bigger tank, sharing your quarters and a current when there was none- but I am concerned, I don't want him to get beaten up.

Perhaps is it maybe like intoducing a new cat to another- claws will be shown, fights may happen the first few days until they distinguish territories then all is well in the world a few days later and they are happy as a clam? I will take him out if they keep picking on him but should I just leave it for now and see what happens? I don't want to loose any fish or have any hurt. Now I feel bad for uprooting him when I thought he would like it! :ssuprised:

Thoughts?

sandypants
09-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Aw Jaysee I bet her fished LOVED the room after some adjusting!

bluebluecow
09-19-2009, 06:24 AM
my siamese are in communtiyt tanks, on in a 2ft tank the other in my 4fts tank, I find they do better if its well planted

Liz

Deleted User
09-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I had never thought of this, but I have noticed how "still" they are at first in the bigger tanks. Great observation you your part -- makes perfect sense now that you've explained it!!!

sheamurai
09-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Tetras seem to be known as fin-nippers, tho my Cards have never bothered the betta. I think the tetras will soon get tired of bugging "the new fish in town" if he's defending himself, but I can't speak at all about the Rainbows - I've never had any. If RJ overnights in the tank without further fin damage, I think you're ok. It's always up in the air how individual fish act tho, so if you see RJ is taking too much abuse then you might have to remove him...

KeithA
09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I've had Bettas in community tanks all the time. Should be fine. That is tetras with my Betta.

sandypants
09-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Well the following morning (Saturday) he seemed much calmer and the other fish seem to have stopped bothering him -they kind of stay away from him- and RJ seems happier and happier by the day, he's now doing "laps" around the entire tank, up down, side, side.... he still comes over to the front when I call his name (smart fish!) so I would say he is doing well. The rainbows haven't bothered him other than the first night and the tetras, like I said seem to be keeping away from him. Maybe "words were spoken" and RJ put them in their place. No one appears injured.

Deleted User
09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
That is a very good update! Go RJ!!! :19: :19: :19: