PDA

View Full Version : Plants...

Coldfish_Trev
09-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Is it better to get real plants for my Goldfish, ie. can they survive with the lower temperatures, reather than those plastic things that get full of green junk anyways?

Neon
09-18-2009, 08:18 AM
I always would go for the real thing , I had real plants with gold fish and no heater and plants were thriving without any problem, just remember to feed the plants sparingly as the goldfish will provide plenty of "fertilizer" themself:goldfish:

Deleted User
09-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Best plant for gold fish is elodea densa.
Most people put that in there ponds to oxygenate the water.:ssmile:

PostalPenguin
09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Elodea densa like celtic suggested is a good plant since the fish wont eat it. Another possibility is the anacharis species, java moss and java fern. I've heard they are all pretty inedible for goldfish.

Coldfish_Trev
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I have never really looked at the species of the plant, just the prettiest ones, although I will deffo look for the oxygenating one! how do u feed plants btw? they said at the shop the plants do not need to be fed as the tank is small in size! I still have a hatred of plastic plants tho...lego for tanks haha! may as well have lego fish! I am thinking of upgrading my filter soon so the boys will have crystal clear water! They do already but I think a lil upgrade would do em good!

Afk4Jfk
09-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Thats great Anacharis is a great oxygenator. I love plants. There are tons of species for different things. almost as unique as the fish themselves. One thing though... activated Carbon will remove your plants food. so IMO you should remove that and replace with a different media. and of course just a reminder... when you upgrade your filter to add the old ones media to it for the bacteria.

Coldfish_Trev
09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Cheers i will have a look this weekend! I do know about the adding the media to preserve the bio properties of the tank, but cheers anyhoo! Theres nuffin like a gud bit o'slime for the golden wonders haha!

Coldfish_Trev
09-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I notice you have some swordtails in your tank, I recently added a pair and they are thriving I think! They are the only ones that swim above 2 inches anyways haha!

Afk4Jfk
09-19-2009, 06:04 AM
I notice you have some swordtails in your tank, I recently added a pair and they are thriving I think! They are the only ones that swim above 2 inches anyways haha!
I love em theyre preggos!!