PDA

View Full Version : Shubunkin behaviour...

Coldfish_Trev
09-18-2009, 07:11 AM
My Shubunkin often rests on the bottom of the tank for 5 minutes at a time sometimes, unlike the rest of the goldfish. Is he ill or do you think he is just generally resting? Do you think I should add some of the enzyme to improve his welfare?

Deleted User
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
We just have fancy goldfish, not specifically the kind you have, but when we have seen one "resting" at the bottom, it's usually "not good" but has happened when we get a new one and I attibute it to stress. If there's not a reason for him to be mentally stressed, I'd worry something is physically wrong with him (either stand alone within him, or something related to water quality). I hope he'll be okay!!! I do get emotionally attached to some of the fish, and goldfish are on that short list.

Coldfish_Trev
09-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I think the fish seems to be swimming and eating normally, and there are no obvious physical deformities, but it is hard to tell with the fish beind so spotted! All is well so far, so lets hope he's just a tired boy! Only time will tell!

smaug
09-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Shebunkins get 8" plus,fancys get 5-7".Anything less then 40-50 gal is too small for your current stock.it is likely the shebunkin has someting wrong with it or its is simply stressed from not having enough space.When fish such as these are in proper sized tanks they are constantly on the move.

megastealer
09-19-2009, 04:59 AM
15 gallons is only enough for one fancy. Having 3 in there is dooming them to stress and a very short life span.

Coldfish_Trev
09-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Oh right they didn't tell me this when I got the tank, but the tank is 3 years old now so I'll see if i can get any bigger at all!

smaug
09-19-2009, 01:14 PM
if you cant get at least a 40gal,the only good option is to rehome the fish to someone with a bigger tank.