PDA

View Full Version : Gonna kill my kid

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 05:36 PM
My 43 year old son called me at 1:30 AM, drunker than a skunk, to tell me he had a 350 gallon aquarium for me and he was bringing it up today. I almost had a heart attack. My first thought, of course, was where in h*** would I put it.

All night I was up and down worrying about this huge tank coming into my little apartment. Well, he shows up about 9 AM, laughing at his latest joke on me, but has with him the wooden canopy for my 55 gallon. The same canopy I was talking about just yesterday that has never found it's way here.

It's been built to clear HOTB filters already so no problem there. However, getting to them is another matter and a canister is really needed for these full canopies. Lifting it off and on to do filter maintenance is NOT what one wants to do. Why don't they build these things from fiberglass? Anyone know. It would be great if they were lighter.

I can add all the lights to the hood on this thing that I want. It looks new since it hasn't even a coat of paint on it, as you can see.

What do you think of this? Really. Thought I'd ask before investing in paint. It will be black outside and white inside to reflect more light.

Abbeys_Mom
04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd kill him for NOT bringing the tank. I'd rather have a 350g tank, then a sofa. You can always sit on the floor!

Drumachine09
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Gonna kill my kid

I can make it look like an accident:wink2:

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
This means, don't cha just know, that instead of having one little 24 inch light to replace, that now it has gone to two colors of paint plus overhead lighting. I will never afford another tank at this rate!

Love your aviator BTW.

And how is your day going????? Kidding! You still sopping water.

Abbeys_Mom
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Didn't you see my post in the other thread?
I would leave the canopy as is, but I like wood.

Lady Hobbs
I can make it look like an accident:wink2:

When will I learn. This kid is constantly pulling pranks on me and gets me every time! He called me last year, disguising his voice, and told me I had a bunch of money in the lost money claims department and to call such 'n such a number. I was so excited and immediately called the number given. Dang him. It was HIS number. (I have speed dial on my phone and didn't realize it as his.)

I really fell for this one as I know he's always in search of a tank for me.

Rue
The canopies can look nice...but I suppose it depends on what you want your overal living room to look like...

...I like uniformity...but others look at each tank (or bird cage...or whatever) as an isolated feature in the room...

I suppose if I wanted several smaller tanks...I'd like them all to be the same type...and maybe have them on shelves...

...or you could do that...and have one 'feature' tank...in that case the canopy would look great...

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Didn't you see my post in the other thread?
I would leave the canopy as is, but I like wood.

This could be a saltwater. Oh God. Help me.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 05:54 PM
What happened to my signature? LOLOLOL

Chrona!!!!!!!!!!!! NorthernBoy!!!!!!!!! It's one of you two!!

hungryhound
My wife wants to know if you are going to go after him with your wooden spoon, and if it is safe to tell Chrona to come out of hiding.

The top looks very nice. How exactly do you feed your fish with that on there??

Abbeys_Mom
Your MTS Syndrome is turning into OTP Syndrome. "Oh the Possibilities"

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
i think chronas the culprit for this one.

Drumachine09
04-01-2007, 06:45 PM
i think chronas the culprit for this one.

I TOTALLY bought Chrona a WSPS (wooden spoon protections system). Its in his gifts. No joke!

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I got the wooden spoon protector model 5000 with anti-wood repellent, mace, pop can holder, and optional heating system.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
My wife wants to know if you are going to go after him with your wooden spoon, and if it is safe to tell Chrona to come out of hiding.

The top looks very nice. How exactly do you feed your fish with that on there??

Have you not seen the canopies before? They hide all the ugly stuff. Actually the top opens right up and you feed the fish and clean the tank this way. You don't even need a hood over your tank and can just leave it open but if you have lights added to the inside top cover you have to have them protected by a shield of some type to prevent water from splashing on them.

They should be white inside to reflect even more light so this is what I'll do but you can see from the picture that altho it clears the filters, it makes them tough to get to. I need a canister anyway!

Pictures explain better so here's another.

hungryhound
04-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the information. It looks good. I couldn't see the hinge and was just confused as to how it would open :P

Chrona
04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
What'd I miss?:confused:

blue fin
04-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Have you not seen the canopies before? They hide all the ugly stuff. Actually the top opens right up and you feed the fish and clean the tank this way. You don't even need a hood over your tank and can just leave it open but if you have lights added to the inside top cover you have to have them protected by a shield of some type to prevent water from splashing on them.

They should be white inside to reflect even more light so this is what I'll do but you can see from the picture that altho it clears the filters, it makes them tough to get to. I need a canister anyway!

Pictures explain better so here's another.

Paint the inside white, use an ebony stain on the outside and 6 or 7 coats of wiping varnish or polyurethane....will look awesome and it fits both the " wood " requirement and the dark color you look for.

My 2 cents anyhow...

Chrona
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
The canopy looks pretty good actually. Aren't you glad you didn't tell him to throw it in the fire? lol.

Btw, I was not even aware you could change someone else's signature? lol. I do now though :wink2:

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Paint the inside white, use an ebony stain on the outside and 6 or 7 coats of wiping varnish or polyurethane....will look awesome and it fits both the " wood " requirement and the dark color you look for.

My 2 cents anyhow...

My plan exactly but was only planning on oil based black. The poly would shine that baby up nice, tho.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I didn't know that for sure as "most" of us are nice and would do no such a thing. However, I did know the titles could be changed.

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
What'd I miss?:confused:

We're having a in depth discussion about hobbs canopy.

crackatinny
04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
LOL, could have been worse, you coulda been up all night rearanging tanks and throwing out furniture to fit it in.

Like the way you refer to your 43yr old as a kid:hmm3grin2orange:, boys never grow up, only the size and price of there toy's get bigger:thumb:

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 12:15 AM
And mine has some darned expensive ones. Now he wants a plane.

Chrona
04-02-2007, 12:16 AM
And mine has some darned expensive ones. Now he wants a plane.

LOL. :thumb:

kimmers318
04-02-2007, 01:47 AM
OMG I was sooooo laughing at the mental pic of you trying to figure out where you would put a 350 gallon tank!!!! And the drunker than a skunk is something I can understand.....been there a time or two myself.
Check out Liz's post about April fools jokes, my kid got me good, but yours got you better!

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Going to check right now.