PDA

View Full Version : Could I get a rubber or clown pleco?

EmmanuelJB
09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I think I know what the answer is but I want to know if there is any way. Well I have this 6 gallon that I want to use as a quarintine aquarium and I want to keep it cycled and I was wondering if I could put a rubber or clown pleco in there? There would be no other fish. Is it possible?

smaug
09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Keep it cycled with danio or something else .Plecs need much more room then that.

Jacko
09-17-2009, 11:31 PM
i wouldn't, it'd be easier just to keep the filter on another tank and switch it over to the qt tank whenever you're in need of it.

keeping other fish in there would make it a pita IMO when you need to qt something for an illness, have to move the pleco or danios or whatever out to another tank and the sick fish in...

EmmanuelJB
09-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Well is it possible to have a pleco in there? I love plecos and I really want one and no one really said yes you can or no you can't. So is it possible or not?

rich311k
09-18-2009, 12:22 AM
I know of no pleco that can live in a 5 gallon tank.

EmmanuelJB
09-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I know of no pleco that can live in a 5 gallon tank.
Its a 6 gallon tank...

Anomaly
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Its a 6 gallon tank...

Regardless, it's still much too small for any pleco. Sorry . . .

Lab_Rat
09-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Its a 6 gallon tank...

I know of no pleco that can live in a 6 gallon tank.

EmmanuelJB
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok, well could 2 corries or 2 ottos keep it cycled instead. It is an eclipse tank with a build in filter so I can't move it from one tank to the other.

sailor
09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
What you could do is drop some seeded media in it when a qt tank is required,
that would be easiest, if you can't do that
I would find another use for it instead of a qt tank.

Lab_Rat
09-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, well could 2 corries or 2 ottos keep it cycled instead. It is an eclipse tank with a build in filter so I can't move it from one tank to the other.

Cories are a schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6+ so they're a no go for a 6g tank. Otos also like to be in groups and really need a mature, planted tank to do well so I would not recommend those either.

A better option would be a betta or a couple of guppies. But if there are fish in the tank, it can't really function as a qt tank.

robflanker
09-18-2009, 07:37 PM
COrys are schoolers as lab_rat said. Otos are also better in groups

You should prob just put a betta in the 6g. I know of no pleco that can be kept in the 6g.

terrapin24h
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Actually,
Just pull the biowheel out and stuff in your main tank. That's a pretty small wheel so i suspect it'd fit in lots of places, the basket of a canister, in the tank of a hob, etc. ALSO, there is nothing saying you have to use the wheel; get a small pouch of AC biomedia and sink it in your main tank or in the filter. Then you could just put the pouch where the wheel goes and you'd accomplish the same affect. I have the same tank for the same purpose and i just let the wheel stay dry and use pouches of biomedia. I keep a couple in each canister.

--chris

toddnbecka
10-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Tanks that small are more suitable for shrimp than fish. Yellow or cherry shrimp with a bit of java moss would be good.

bluebluecow
10-10-2009, 05:26 AM
although I wouldnt keep a plec in there as they said defeats the purpose of a qt

would a pitbull oplec fit, I had one and now my mum has it as its too small for my tank, is about 2 inchs after 5yrs, FAT though

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=236

although says should be kept in groups, but mine seems ok, does need sand as mentioned as they do bury themselves which came as a shock as I had no idea that they did

Liz