PDA

View Full Version : Which tank would you recommend?

Lolita
09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey all! Sorry for all the questions, but I have one more.

I'm ordering my friends tank today, and I'm not sure which to choose of the following two:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12177653&sourceid=1500000000000003260550&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12177653

or

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635550&findingMethod=rr

There's only a dollar difference. The second one is 1 gallon bigger, but I've heard less than great reviews on the delux hoods, and the first one looks like it would be a little easier for feedings, etc... but what do you think?

Thanks!
<3 Lo

rich311k
09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I would get the first kit.

rookie
09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
last week i was in walmart and i got a 10g all in one kit for $36 that looks exactly like the first one.

Lolita
09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
last week i was in walmart and i got a 10g all in one kit for $36 that looks exactly like the first one.

=O Seriously? I'd get her a 10 gallon but she says that's too big for her...but the 5 gallon might be cheaper in store if you got a 10 for so much cheaper.

Northernguy
09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Get the ten then in a few days when you want to add some other fish you will be able too!
Anything smaller than a ten is too small! lol
I have bettas in a ten gal. tanks.One with neons and one with a few male guppies. They are great tanks and very easy to maintain.

Faith_at_Large
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I vote for the first one. It is a simple set up that is better suited to a Betta.

Perhaps others on the forum have successfully kept Bettas in a tank with the filter in the hood, and if so can better comment on this, but it seems to me that this makes for a tank designed for regular fish but not for air breathers. Bettas are fish but have the wonderful ability to come up for air and they should have room for this should they need it.

It is also nice to have the option to feed through a smaller access panel rather than lift the entire hood.

Five gallons is plenty big enough for a Betta. Of course if you can get a similar tank in the ten gallon size for less, you can get a divider and put in some females on the other end, or turn it into a community tank with a Betta centrepiece - but be warned - Bettas can jump dividers so two males would not be a good option.

Nobodynotime
09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd go with the 10 gallon it think is actually cheaper at the store. I have one with a few guppys and a betta. It works out really well. The one I got came with crummy bulbs so I put florescent in they actually get the water warm enough that you dont need to buy a heater.

BirdOfPray
09-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I can't speak for the Tetra kit (the first one) but I have my betta in an eclipse tank and have been pleased with it. It's a 5-gallon hex, so not the same tank, but I'd imagine the hood set-up and filter are pretty similar. The filter is very quiet -- it's sitting right here on my desk and I can't hear it over the computer. There's a small feeding port on the front of the hood, or I can remove the front part of the hood (light and feeding port) leaving a large enough opening for me to get my hands into the tank when necessary. I can also remove the back part where the filter is housed, but naturally that's a little more difficult. There's plenty of space between the surface of the water and the hood. There are a couple of spots where parts of the filter touch the water, but the vast majority of the surface is left available. The current doesn't seem too fast, especially once I added some plants and things. My betta currently has a bubblenest in one corner, so the surface is calm enough for that.

I'm sure the Tetra kit is also a good one, so I'm not trying to sell you on one or the other. Maybe someone else has used their kits and can give you a more detailed review.

Deleted User
09-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I would go with the first one, or a 10 gallon kit. Don't forget, you will want a heater, too. For the 5g one, a hydor mini heater would probably do the trick.

We have an Eclipse 6 and an Eclipse 12 and honestly, I hate them. They collect algae (our other tanks do not) and thier tops are a real pain in the butt to get in and out of. I don't care for them at all and just demoted ours to a quarantine tank and a snail tank.

sheamurai
09-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I have an Eclipse 6 as well, with the same opinion as Jill. Even feeding is a grrr as when you open the lid, the condensation dribbles out the back of tank, rather than running back into the tank. I have to lift the lid slowly to allow the flow to go before opening the lid fully. Its a poorly thought out system, and I've been thinking of demoting it to a QT tank as well - I just haven't picked up a replacement yet...