PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows

Somethings Fishy
09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I've got a 4x1.5x1.5ft tank that I am going to do planted. I would like to put about 8 Rainbows in there, probably Boseman or Jewel.
1. - Is the tank big enough for rainbows?

2. - What else can I put in there with them?

rich311k
09-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes it is big enough. They do well with most peaceful fish.

Somethings Fishy
09-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm thinking of about ten Congo Tetras & a Clown Plec in there with them. Should they be ok?

rich311k
09-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I would think so. That tank is big enough for that. Should be a nice display.

flaquifu
10-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.

Cristoff
10-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Sounds good. I like Congos. My Lemon Tetras set off the Rainbows well too. May want to check those out too.

VIP
10-03-2009, 02:58 AM
what else would be great companions for those amazing fish?

are they fun to watch, active?

Somethings Fishy
10-03-2009, 07:43 AM
what else would be great companions for those amazing fish?

are they fun to watch, active?
Rainbows are very active & great fun to watch chasing each other all over the place. It's like watching a heap of overgrown zebra danios but more colorful. The congos are an active fish as well & seem to prefer the mid layers of my tank. I had a change of heart & have ended up doing this as a display in a 6x2x2. I've got 12 M. Trifasciata & 10 Congos in there along with a colony of 1M 4F geophagus steindachneri & 2 goldpot plecs. Looks absolutely stunning.
I highly reccomend the rainbows to anyone with a large enough tank & peaceful tankmates that have the same water composition requirements.

Almost anything that is fairly peaceful, not too small to be viewed as food & have the same water composition needs are suitable tank mates.
Putting rainbows in a tank with non-agressive american cichlids is very popular over here & seems to work very well. Fills up the top area of the tank where the cichlids tend not to go too often.

Lady Hobbs
10-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I like the boesemani and the turquoise. I don't like the Australian Splenda at all. They get larger and are more dominate and nuts. And wouldn't you just know it that the ones I didn't like are the ones I breed and got about 200 more fish I didn't like. LOL I hope to get a dozen neon rainbows to take their place.