PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Care ?

Munko
09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi,

I have recently adopted a betta from a friend. He's been living in the same bowl for three years, and is an active and seemingly happy little man. My question is: what is the best way to do water changes/clean a bowl? I know how his bowl was being maintained before - and it all worked out -- but, I am still inclined to do things differently having kept tanks.

Specifically, it would be good to know the following:

1) What kind of water? Bottled? Or tap water with conditioner?
2) How often, and what percentage?
3) Do I take him out and put him in a separate container when I clean his bowl, or is there a way to cause him less stress?

Thanks kindly,

J

Cristoff
09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
1) Tap with conditioner would be fine.
2) in a small tank like that 30-40% twice a week would be good and easy maintenance.
3) Get a bit of tubing and syphon the water out. That way you can give the bottom a good cleaning as well. Slowly pour the new CONDITIONED water back into the tank. I would let the water sit in the container for a short while before pouring it in just to equalize the temperature a bit.

Hope that helps!

Munko
09-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Great, thanks for the info Cristoff. Can I just buy the tubing at the hardware store and not worry about any contamination of my water? I.E. -- Do I need to do anything to make it 'fish-friendly'??

Best,

J

Northernguy
09-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Run some hot water through it first then some cool water and it should be good to use.
You can buy a small gravel vac at a fish store.

Faith_at_Large
09-18-2009, 01:35 AM
I do use regular gravel vaccuums in my tanks, but when I had a smaller two gallon tank (long gone) I used to clean it with a dedicated turkey baster. It is great for spot cleaning food and debris out of the tank, and gives very good control over how much and how fast the water is being removed.

You did not indicate how big the bowl is, but if it a gallon or less, a turkey baster is a great way to keep it clean. You can still use it even if you use tubing (or small gravel vaccuum) for vaccuuming the gravel. I use a turkey baster in each of my ten gallon tanks as well, as an extra tool for spot cleaning and topping up my filter after cleaning.

Never use commercial bottled water, especially not distilled water, conditioned tap water is the way to go. I use clean milk and/or water jugs to store my water until it is room temperature. Each time I change my water I refill my jugs and add AquaPlus and leave them in a safe place until I need them again. I need three x 1 gallon-size jugs for each ten gallon tank, but a smaller tank/bowl, one gallon jug will do.

I also mark my jugs to indicate that they are for the aquariums so that no one tries to use them for anything else.

You do not need to move your Betta out of the bowl unless you are rough with your vaccuuming.