PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose?

PostalPenguin
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
So my 29g has algae growing on the glass that despite heavy CO2 injection will not go away and my otos never seem to eat it or eat anything.:banghead: So I was thinking of getting a bristlenose pleco to put in there to help reduce how often I have to clean the glass.

Stocking and old picture of the tank is in my sig. Filtration is an Eheim Ecco 2236 and an AC20 powerhead with sponge filter.

Northernguy
09-15-2009, 02:01 PM
That should work!
They do eat algae but do need their veggies as well!

KingFisher
09-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I suggest Ancistrus claro. They stay smaller than the other BNs nad I've been told they do a better job at keeping the glass clean as well. Nerite snails are also an option. Their shells have interesting patterns and they won't reproduce in freshwater.

If you do add a pleco, make sure you have some wood in your tank because it is an important part of their diet.

Northernguy
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I suggest Ancistrus claro. They stay smaller than the other BNs nad I've been told they do a better job at keeping the glass clean as well. Nerite snails are also an option. Their shells have interesting patterns and they won't reproduce in freshwater.

If you do add a pleco, make sure you have some wood in your tank because it is an important part of their diet.
I havent had to clean the glass in BN tank in ages!
I know it grows algae but I never see it.
I have heard that rubber lip plecos are better at it but I would need proof! lol

PostalPenguin
09-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks! I will look for one tonight. Probably get a few more tetras as well.

toddnbecka
09-15-2009, 04:47 PM
If you can't find any locally I have some juvies f/s, brown and albino, ~1.5-2".

KingFisher
09-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I havent had to clean the glass in BN tank in ages!
I know it grows algae but I never see it.
I have heard that rubber lip plecos are better at it but I would need proof! lol

I have three BNs in my 90g and still have to frequently clean the glass, Maybe mine are just lazy.

Jaster
09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd get 2. I love mine... have a couple in every tank.

terrapin24h
09-15-2009, 06:17 PM
So my 29g has algae growing on the glass that despite heavy CO2 injection will not go away and my otos never seem to eat it or eat anything.:banghead: So I was thinking of getting a bristlenose pleco to put in there to help reduce how often I have to clean the glass.

Stocking and old picture of the tank is in my sig. Filtration is an Eheim Ecco 2236 and an AC20 powerhead with sponge filter.

If your sig is correct, you've only got 3 otos--they ain't trash compactors man! Up your school of otos is my primary vote. When mine died off(old age i reckon, they were large for otos, and always had fat bellies) I *immediately* noticed how much they were eating :) When i had them in my 29 i had 6. They are a schooling fish, so std rules apply to them too.

since my otos have passed i decided to try 2 rubberlip plecos--and they are pretty darn awesome. Don't see'm much but that glass is staying clean! Like the BN, they stay on the smaller side. I think they are actually smaller fully grown than a BN and I have read online that many people think they do a better job cleaning the tank. I have 2, both very young, and i see the larger one 3 or 4 times a week(in the evening) and the little one rarely. You could do one i think, without any worry. look into them, you might likem

--chris