PDA

View Full Version : betta wont eat- help

anna
09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
My betta hasn't eaten since I bought him 5 days ago. He seems to be very active maybe even jittery. I feed him floating pellets.
What can I do?
Please help..

Deleted User
09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Have you tried other types of food? Maybe that would help? I hope he'll be okay!

anna
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I live in the country and do not have quick access to a pet store. Must
travel when schedule permits.

Sharon
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM
You can try frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, cooked peas when you can get it. I had one that wouldn't touch pellets. Maybe chop some people shrimp really small....

iZinedane
09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Try other foods too as suggested
odd as in 5 days he hasnt eaten. mine ate after a day.
i fed him larvae first. maybe try flakes? maybe he can't gobble up the pellets.

Neon
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
mine was the same at beginning , very fussy and picky , now he is eating everything.

when I noticed that Sam was not eating I went to the shop and bought the same food they were using , it worked and after a while my Betta started to eat also other food that used to spit out before....

rich311k
09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
If he is hungry he will eat. I would try some blood worms to get him going. Mine seem to prefer flakes over the granules.

BirdOfPray
09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
I couldn't get my betta to eat anything at first. It took me almost a month to find something he'd eat, and he started nipping at his own fins around that time. I felt terrible, but I kept trying things with no luck. Now he eats Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley, which I think he probably likes because there are freeze-dried brine shrimp mixed in with tiny flakes.

I'd try a few different types of food and see if you have any luck with those. Don't worry too much -- they can go a long time without eating. And if you do wind up with more than one type of food that he'll eat, it's not a waste of money because it's good to vary their diet. Mine did eat crushed peas while he was on his self-imposed fast, and I don't think that's great nutrition for them but if you have some peas in your freezer it might help tide him over.

korith
09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I think you could try soaking the food in garlic juice. That might help make the food more attractive to him.

Sharon
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
I'd avoid freeze dried foods with bettas...I've found it gives them problems....

Faith_at_Large
09-18-2009, 01:22 AM
My last Betta also took about a week before he would eat, and in the end would only eat the little Betta pellets - yes I tried to feed him other healthy options.

But once he started, he ate regularly without any problems.

My current Betta was the opposite. He started eating right away, and adjusted very quickly to his new tank. Of course he also seems to prefer Betta pellets. I will be trying some other options down the road - my frozen food is getting old and may need replacement.

Deleted User
09-18-2009, 08:52 AM
How's he doing now?

thrakuarium
09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Try flake food as the first option. Most bettas are fed flake before they are sold and that may be what he is used to. Pellets might be to hard for him. If that doesn't work, give the other food options a try... probably frozen first then freeze dried.... just don't use freeze dried as the main staple food. Every 3 or 4 days as a treat or in this case an appetite enticer is fine.