PDA

View Full Version : I hate brown algae

Lab_Rat
09-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Two of my tanks are going through the diatom stage and I just hate it. No real point to this thread, just wanted to vent about that. Can't wait til it's gone.

rookie
09-15-2009, 04:32 AM
I can feel your pain I had the same problem and I put in some bn's (the were already part of the plan) and they ate it all pretty much overnight

Lab_Rat
09-15-2009, 04:50 AM
I've got a bn in the 29g and he's helped a good bit for his size (he's tiny, about 1"). Can't put one that small in the 55g as he would be eaten by my macaw. I'll just suck it up and keep manually removing it.

Lady Hobbs
09-15-2009, 07:06 PM
This whole alage thing is enough to make me rip every plant out of my tanks and trash them. My diatoms finally left after I gave up and trashed the bog wood I found. Apparently it was soft wood but it sure wouldn't stop the diatom explosion.

I then went thru 2 months of having an awesome tank but started dosing with ferts a couple weeks ago. Half doses is all. And here comes algae on all the tops of my vals and hygro's. Hardly worth all this trouble at times.

Cristoff
09-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I feel your pain Lab.

My 90 gal is going through it right now as well. It's a real pain when you take good care of things, make sure your water is perfect, and your tank looks like you haven't changed the water in months because of the algae! (blush)

Worst part is my water is CRYSTAL clear, so you can see every speck of the crap!:hmm3grin2orange:

PostalPenguin
09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
You could try putting some phosphate absorbing resin in your filter. The resin will also absorb silicates(which diatoms feed on) and should reduce the diatoms while shortening the diatom stage.

Cristoff
09-15-2009, 08:27 PM
You could try putting some phosphate absorbing resin in your filter. The resin will also absorb silicates(which diatoms feed on) and should reduce the diatoms while shortening the diatom stage.

Good to know! Thanks for that tidbit of knowledge, I'm off tomorrow and will try to find some.thumbs2:

kyryah
09-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I am one of those weirdos that LIKES algae, lol. But, I have critters in about every single one of my 22 aquariums that benefit from its existence in some way.

I am trying to get algae to grow in my BW tank and not having a lot of luck. Anyone got some to share? LOL.

Kristina

rzrnails
09-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I am one of those weirdos that LIKES algae, lol. But, I have critters in about every single one of my 22 aquariums that benefit from its existence in some way.

I am trying to get algae to grow in my BW tank and not having a lot of luck. Anyone got some to share? LOL.

Kristina

I just scrubbed the two tiny circles off on Sunday. Sorry. :11:

charlie11
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
This whole alage thing is enough to make me rip every plant out of my tanks and trash them. My diatoms finally left after I gave up and trashed the bog wood I found. Apparently it was soft wood but it sure wouldn't stop the diatom explosion.

I then went thru 2 months of having an awesome tank but started dosing with ferts a couple weeks ago. Half doses is all. And here comes algae on all the tops of my vals and hygro's. Hardly worth all this trouble at times.

I feel ya. brown alage sucks

Zilla
03-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Kristina

I have some diatoms in my 20 you can have. They are annoying, but where they decided to take up residence is ironic as it's right in the center of my view from a sitting position.

There is such balance in nature. I shouldn't be sitting here, so having diatoms in my way is a good reason for me not to sit here.

Wild Turkey
03-14-2010, 03:42 PM

+1 good advice

Lab_Rat
03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
The diatoms all went away after about a month. Of course I've also got an excellent clean up crew of BNs and nerites to help...

Algenco
03-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Anyone have an idea what causes dark brown algae?
I have a tank that constantly stays covered in the stuff, it's been set up for two years

toysrus
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Good to know! Thanks for that tidbit of knowledge, I'm off tomorrow and will try to find some.thumbs2:
What in tarnation is phosphate absorbing resin?:help:

toysrus
03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't know what brown algae is or what causes it either.But, I had hair algae in 2 tanks and added algaefix to em both and in one tank the algae died right away and disappeared in week or so.
BUT, in the other tank it turned "PINK" at first it looked awesome. :hmm3grin2orange:
Then it turned grey after a water change and is still clinging on the the leaves of my plants,But it's positively dead.The plant cells will eventually make it fall off I hope.I don't know what made it pink! :hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a tank that constantly stays covered in the stuff, it's been set up for two years

I see a lot of sites that use the words "brown is usually diatoms." but i can never find out what else they are implying it might be.

My only thought was maybe red algae.

lowlight
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I have 3 Otto's, 2 SAE and some MTS in my 55 gal and nobody's hungry.:hmm3grin2orange:

Taurus
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Gene, what's the lighting on the tank?

I'm wondering if the GE 9325 K tubes have something to do with it. I use the 8000k allglass tube in my 20g long and 10,000k twin tubes on the 29g. I get the brown algae too, in both tanks and it's not diatoms. It never really gets out of control, but I do have to remove it maybe once per month using filter fiber to rub it off the inside glass. The BN Pleco takes care of most of it in my 29g

It's a good question.

twiggie
03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Ugh, I feel your pain. I've had a nasty outbreak of diatoms recently. I suppose I should consider getting a BN soon.