PDA

View Full Version : Water hardness...

XsquaredequalsX
09-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Ok, I just lost my second angelfish earlier today. :greencry:

There was an outbreak of Ich, we medicated with Clout, all of the fish seem to have recovered from the Ich - but the angels never seemed to get their strength back. Both of them were antisocial and gaspy for a day, and then died the next.

I did a 75% water change, and then a water test, to discover that the hardness of our water has gone up quite a bit - it used to hold at 0-10ppm Kh and Gh right after a water change, now it's reading 30-60ppm Gh and 80-120ppm Kh! HOLY COW! What gives?! I don't fully understand exactly what the water hardness affects, but I have read that angels prefer soft water - and ours is harder than Ron Jeremy!

Could this be due to some leftover medication in the tank, or has our city water somehow gotten worse? It already tasted like a mouthful of nickels that had been in the pool... bleh! The Seachem Neutral Regulator / dechlorinator we add to the replacement water says that it softens water... but man-oh-man - if THAT's softened, our tap is running liquid rock!

The platies, bala shark, and pleco don't seem to mind the increased hardness (they're too busy playing in the bubbles from the new wand I put in this morning), but I would like to keep the water soft enough to be able to replace the angels when everything has settled to normalcy - so what is the best way to go about doing this? Does anyone have a recommended / favorite water softener?

Thanks in advance for your helpful input - you AC guys and gals are the BEST!! thumbs2:

XsquaredequalsX
09-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't really sure where to put it - water quality, tank setup... made sense to me!