PDA

View Full Version : I bought some Amazon Swords today

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2007, 10:11 PM
And they were 6-7 inches high, long root system and were $3.69 each. Why would anyone want 2 inch ones with no roots when they could have these for 80 cents more, she asks.

My 55 gallon had rather green water today and it stunk. I've never had nasty water much less greenish and it's never stunk. The only different this week than with all the other weeks is a few potted plants and CO2. I did my 50% water change last week right on schedule......another one today. None of the plants were rotten either.

We always hear if you fish are plant eaters to use the Java Fern. They're supposed to taste nasty. Today I noticed my java in my silver dollar tank is all but gone. They ate two plants until I had only one baby leaf left. They sure don't like the onion plants, tho.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 10:13 PM
24 hour blackout will take care of the green water. It's because the tank gets direct sunlight. Bound to catch up on ya ;)

No it doesn't. I have direct sunlight blocked. It gets direct light but not the sun.

marek313
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
May I ask what size tank and how old since green water is mostly seen in newly set up tanks? What kind of light and how strong? How many plants and fish? Any water tests done? Sorry for all the questions but its hard to diagnose a problem without knowing all the facts.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Altho my tank (55 gallon) was not getting direct sunlight, it was getting the direct outside light. I'm sure this is what did it. I always keep my drapes closed by the tank but I had some plants in there (in pots) and not enough over-head lights so was trying to get more light to them.

Drapes closed again and all water is clear.