PDA

View Full Version : my nana has algae on it

krystalsohun
09-14-2009, 05:47 PM
it's brown algae on the leaves how do i get rid of it? just wipe it off?

rich311k
09-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes wipe it off. Try to keep the plant shaded it will be less likely to get algae on the leaves that way. Anubia are notorious for it.

krystalsohun
09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
well I have a very low light tank to be honest i dont know how anything grows in it(blush) it's a 40 gallon with a 15watt light(blush) and i have swords and wisteria growing in it just fine lol. but my nana wasnt growing at all in this semi shaded area so i moved it on to driftwood so it could get a little light and well i have a new leaf but now i have algae. so what do i wipe it off with just the sponge i clean the sides of the tank with?? and if my tank is soooo low light how do i move it to "shade" thanks for the help in advance

rich311k
09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I have mine under other plants for shade. With your light you probably do not need to worry about it. Hopefully it is just diatoms which will go away on their own.

krystalsohun
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
thanks rich with my "light" i never thought i would get algae. will be up grading soon hopefully. and i thought it would go away to just like it disappeared off the sides of the tanks but now its just getting thicker guess i'll wipe it off then. any suggestions on what bulb would be best for all of my plants? that is what has stopped me from upgrading dont know what to get lol

PostalPenguin
09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
The solution to diatoms is to wait it out, increase lighting and maybe get some otos.

The bulb you want will be in the 6500K range. For a 40gallon tank I'd look for a 40W bulb. It will allow you to grow most low light plants without having to worry about algae or CO2.

krystalsohun
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
thanks for the lighting help. i cant get otto's or anything else for that matter got an extremely aggressive jd in there. so a 40 watt would be good, see i was thinking like 60 to make it 1.5 wpg, this is why i ask before buying lol. how long before they go away to me it looks like they are just getting worse. also with the bulb for the tank does it matter if it is specifcally for plants or could it just be a regular freshwater bulb?

PostalPenguin
09-14-2009, 11:43 PM
A 60W would be a good choice as well. 1.5wpg is still below what you'll have to worry about algae.

Diatoms will get really bad in my experience. They make the tank look hideously filthy. But there really isn't much that can be done, just have to wait them out. Some people have had success by putting phosphate absorbing media in the filter since the phosphate resin also absorbs silicates, the food for diatoms.

A plant bulb will definitely work but it may give a weird hue to the tank. As long as the freshwater bulb is between 6500k and 10000k you'll be fine.

As an alternative to otos you could try some snails. Their shells will make them resistant to harrassment by the JD.

krystalsohun
09-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I was thinking about assaians so i dont get a snail invasion lol. the only thing is my jd is really mean. i put one of those suction cup thermometers in the tank within 2 min he had it off the glass and then proceeded to wack the glass with it and broke it in to pieces! mind you he's about three inches now. he's already killed a same size terror and oscar that were added at the same time. he even attacks my hubby when he tries to clean the tank! do you think assasians would work? and would they eat my plants?

rich311k
09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
The JD should take care of any snail problems. My angels do a pretty good job and they dont have the mouths and hardware a JD does.