PDA

View Full Version : Question About Bettas In Divided Tanks

Deleted User
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi, Folks --

For those of you housing male bettas in divided tanks, do the fish constantly display and show aggression to each other at the dividers, or do they spend time relaxing as they would in a solitary tank?

I'm thinking of setting up some divided 10 gallons (5 gallons each).

Thanks,
Jill

iZinedane
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Depends on what you use as a divider
if they see each other constantly
they will also flare up constantly causing stress to them.

Northernguy
09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
If they see each other it will be very stressful for them.
The divider should be dark enough so they cannot continually flare at each other.

Red
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Agreed, have a black divider and you will be fine. If you want to breed a male and female seprated, make sure its clear.

bluebluecow
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
see Im different as mine is in a blear breeder box, they had one day of flaring and now 90% of the time they ignore each other as they are doing at the mo.

If they do flare its like a passing flare then swim off, well the one in the main tank does.

Liz

Faith_at_Large
09-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Just be mindful of the top - if the divider is not all the way to the bottom of the lid, Bettas can jump the divider and get at each other.

I think that someone on this forum reported just that a few years ago.

Putting lots of plants at the divider can also block some of the view and give them a break, but opaque is best for a divider.

Mvjnz
09-18-2009, 01:54 AM
When I divided my tank I just went and cut a plastic lid of the type you use for storage tubs, and then just it to size. They can't see each other and relax completely.

Deleted User
09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the opinions!!! For now, I'm planning to keep them all in their separate tanks. I didn't care for the way the dividers I found looked (and a big part of the reason I have the fish is I like to look at them). I appreciate the input!

geminidragn
09-22-2009, 04:09 AM
I have two 10 gallons that are both divided with see-through dividers and have a male betta on each side. They flare out at each other at first a lot but after a while they get use to each other and settle down. Then they flare out every once in a while when they are felling frisky.