PDA

View Full Version : 29 Gallon Stocking/Compatibility Help

BrookValley
09-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Hi all (my first post. :ssmile: ). I've got a stocking question about our 29 gallon aquarium. I'd like to add a centerpiece fish, but I have compatibility questions--if I'm not just overstocked as is. I also need to add a few additional Corys, if possible.

What I have:

5 longfin blue Danios
4 Serpae Tetras
2 bamboo shrimp
3 emerald green Corys

Like I said, I'd like to pick up 3 more Corys--I didn't realize when I brought the first 3 home that they really should have a school of 6 or more. The Danios did number 6, but we had an unexplained fatality awhile ago. The tank is well-established and lightly planted, and I do 25% water changes about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. So...is there any fish that I can add to this mix that would be compatible with the rest? I'm thinking a single Gourami of some sort (though very open to suggestions. I love them, but the hubby--not a fan). OR--do you think I've maxed out the 29 gallons altogether? Getting 3 more Corys is my priority, and I don't have to get a centerpiece fish for the tank--it would just be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lab_Rat
09-14-2009, 02:44 AM
I would get the 3 cories like you planned, then 1 more danio, 2 more serpae, and you could possibly do a centerpiece gourami. Stay away from the 3 spot gourami (3-spot, opaline, blue, platinum, gold, lavender) since they're too aggressive for a 29g. You could go with a dwarf gourami with that mix.

That will max you out on your bioload to do all the above but with weekly wc's it shouldn't be a problem.

rich311k
09-14-2009, 02:45 AM
I see no problem with adding 3 more corys. I would add a couiple more serpaes as well.

BrookValley
09-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! I knew that the Serpaes liked groups, too, but I hadn't thought about adding any more...they seem healthy and happy enough, but they do like to hide often. I thought maybe it was just typical behavior, but maybe they'd feel better and swim in the open more if they were a larger group!

My LFS has flame gouramis...these are a color morph of the dwarf gourami, right? They are awfully pretty...maybe I'll add my Corys & a couple of Serpaes and see how it goes, then in another couple of weeks, after another water change and some water testing, see about adding a gourami. I'd like to start replacing some of my fake plants with live ones (I have a few amazon swords right now, but most of my plants/wood is fake). Am I correct in thinking that adding more live plants will only positively affect the bio load?

Lab_Rat
09-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Sounds like a very good plan. Yes, the flames are a color variant of the dwarf. Increasing the number of serpaes will also help so they are less likely to harass other fish (though it sounds like yours aren't a problem with that). Live plants are great and help decrease bioload by utilizing ammonia and nitrates.