PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on my setup. GSP

Solace87
09-13-2009, 09:40 PM
So, my girlfriend and I were at the pet store the other day and we saw some Green spotted puffers and fell in love with the fish. I had an old 34 gallon tank that I had not used in a couple years, which I used to use for

I went home and set it up (water treatment, filtered it and set the thermostat to maintain their ideal temperature (80-82)) then let it set.

I was wondering if my filtration setup was adequate for two baby puffers.
and also what S.G I should start them at since they were in fresh water in the store. I know they need 1.05-08 but I was not sure if I should just put them straight from fresh water to that, so I just added a bit more than the typical amount that you would use in a freshwater aquarium.

Well here is my filtration setup
I have an under gravel filter with two of the filtration towers on each end of the tank. Connected to each tower is a dual 5 watt pump (10 watts total im assuming, its got a little knob you can adjust. So two units one to each tower. And then at the top I have a Whisper J power filter.
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=1316628521

I know the J is not the correct size for the tank but I was wondering if the whisper filter with the UGF would be adequate for two baby puffers.

My intentions are to raise them in the 34 gallon till they are about two/three inches and then transfer them into a 75 gallon tank with canister filter and full setup.

Cristoff
09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Although not a big fan of undergravel filtration, it seems like you have adequate filtration with that set up if the puffers are going to be the only thing in there.

I'd make sure what the water was in the LFS where you got them. If you are SURE it was not already brackish, then I would acclimate them slowly to brackish conditions. Too quick may be a shock to them, especially if they are young.

I have no experience with brackish setups, so I'll leave the more technical answers to the experts.

Good luck with them!:19:

Solace87
09-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of underground either but it is what I have and instead of spending forty on a good top filter if I dont have to I would like to wait and if I get into it then spend my money on a canister style filter.

They are the only thing in there, I wanted to get a plecostomus for cleanliness which is what the pet store had in the puffer tank but I am not sure if they can tolerate brackish water and if the puffers would attack it once they get a bit more mature.

sanddigger
09-19-2009, 04:12 AM
Plecos a NO NO for BW. The Ocean salt will kill them.

GSP like to be "alone" unless you have tank of a foot print of 4'. Then you may beable to house two with sight barriers.

kaybee
09-19-2009, 06:41 AM
The GSP's that were purchased together from an LFS where they existed in the same tank can co-exist in the 34gal until they're 2.5". After that they'll become intolerent of each other (were you to have a small GSP already established in the tank and added another, the intolerence would be more acute).

The GSP's could probably tolerate BW after living in FW at the LFS, however you have to gradually increase salinity to allow your biological filtration to adjust to BW conditions. You could increase SG by 0.002 weekly.