PDA

View Full Version : What to add

jackson17
09-13-2009, 08:49 PM
What should I add to my tank.

I'm going to get some java ferns next run at the LFS but I also want another fish, but I don't know what I want.

I have:

Blood parrot
Pearl Gourami
Bichir
Pea cock eel

Should I get a female pearl? Or a angel? Or a pair of rams? What should I get lol. Any suggestions?

robflanker
09-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Your stocking is all over the board. You ought to go in one direction with the tank and stick to it.

Goodbye
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree with rob. You should re-think your stocking before adding anything new. IMO, bichirs and other predators should not be kept with fish such as pearl gouramis.

jackson17
09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
They have been together for the best 4 months and all get along fine. None of them ever attack eachother.

Also, I tried to re-home the bichir a while back, and to no luck so I figured I'd keep it and he does fine with everyone else...or she, I don't know.

AmyLynn
09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
They have been together for the best 4 months and all get along fine. None of them ever attack eachother.

And this means it won't ever happen??? I've never done bichirs or eels and even I know better than that. LOL

ETA I have the answer! Just pack up the pearl and send to me! hehehe

Lab_Rat
09-13-2009, 09:17 PM

I'm going to have to agree with the above posters. Just because you haven't seen aggression yet doesn't mean you won't when the fish hit maturity.

Not sure what size your tanks is, but if it's a larger tank then maybe add a school of larger tetras, something that won't get eaten by the bichir.

jackson17
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
If they do get out of hand I have spare tanks I can throw up at any time. 80 gallon breeder and a 6x2x2 tank. Only reason they are not up now is because of the move in 1.5 months.

I get what everyone is saying about the aggression, but its like have a oscar with a GT, it may work, may not. I'm not by any means bashing anyone opinions on the matter, I know the bichir is a predator, but as of right now, the eel could easily fit into the mouth of the bichir and become a snack, and when the eel swims right past the bichir, he doesn't care. Now I know that he is a predator and what not, but still, he is friendly.

If the time comes where I see aggression, he will be moved, but as of now, there is none. And the tank is going to get planted either tomorrow, or the day after so the eel will have plenty of spots to hide if needed.

Lab_Rat
09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
The current stocking sounds very disjointed, you have 4 centerpiece fish and nothing to really fill out the rest. I'm not sure if that makes sense but if I were you I'd pick a centerpiece fish and design the tank around it. That's why I suggested a school of something.

jackson17
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Ok, but at the moment it would be very anoyying to set up another tank to hold them. Any ideas on what to do then?

Lab_Rat
09-13-2009, 09:42 PM
If you're moving in such a short time I would hold off on getting any more fish. Why not work on stocking plans and see what you can come up with? That way you can decide what you like, what would look good, be compatible, etc. Also, if you decide to try and rehome a fish because it doesn't fit into your plan, that gives you time also.

Goodbye
09-13-2009, 09:43 PM
You should decide on which fish you would like to have as the centerpiece and stock around that. As for the other fish, I would try to find new homes for them. IMO, the Blood Parrot and the Pearl Gourami can be kept together.

robflanker
09-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Agreed - your tank is disjointed as they are all centrepiece fish.

You should pick one theme and go with it

bushwhacker
09-14-2009, 04:55 AM
just wait till you move man and then start lookin to set up the other tanks. you got some great fish to start other tanks