PDA

View Full Version : What does a Goldfish really need?

Rue
03-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm seeing what's new for goldfish care...in between scrubbing the new tank sessions...

Seems they don't need space as much as filtration...double filtration (double what your tank size) seems to be the key...as is frequent water changes...

I can see that with the fancies...they're not fast...but the regular goldfish...I dunno...they seem to need more room to swim...

...any thoughts?

Temperature recommendations are also all over the board! Our basement seems to be at 68 F year round...goldies seem very content down there...

Rue
03-31-2007, 07:42 PM
...btw...the 2 Emperor 280s that came with the 55g tank are rated up to 50g each...so I'll run them both and see if there's any improvement for the fish...

Chrona
03-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Generally, the fancier goldfish are actually warm-water, whereas the comet goldfish (and it's derivatives) are cold water. Do some research on your particular species to find out. I was a bit surprised myself when I found this out, as I thought all goldfish were cold-water. They can all live in 65 degree water or so, but the cold-water fish don't really like it. Cold water has more dissolved oxygen btw.

Fishguy2727
04-01-2007, 12:39 AM
68F is fine. I would have even more filtration than that. Double filtration is really for any tank, all the filters over-rate themselves. For goldfish it is even more filtration. When I had goldfish in my 55 I had 2 Whisper 60s and a Fluval 404. I did 90% water changes every week. I used salt. I would only feed New Life Spectrum. It is sinking so they won't get a swim bladder infection from gulping air. However I had a bare bottom tank, so you may need a bowl to feed them in. How many do you have in there?

Rue
04-01-2007, 04:44 AM
...Chrona...I haven't found that info. yet, on the fancies needing warmer water...

...reptileguy...I only have 2 (so far) and 1 dojo loach...I'll move them to the 55 g when it's cycled...still cleaning it...then need to fill it with water and get it running...

Thinking of getting two more...1 black moor and one ranchu...

The two I have now...the big one is a 5 year calico fantail or ryukin cross...the other (1 year old or so) is still small, but seems to be developing an oranda cap! LOL...

Chrona
04-01-2007, 05:08 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1104
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=957
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=856

vs

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1041

I saw the article somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it now. I mean, all goldfish will adapt, but it seems the fancier the goldfish, the more stringent the temp requirements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish

Goldfish in ponds part

Bunch of other places, but like most issues, there's conflicting information.

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2007, 05:24 AM
some types like warmer water. Ive found that

Fishguy2727
04-01-2007, 01:48 PM
The fancier the more sensitive. That means a narrower range of tolerable temperatures among other things. Generally though room temp is fine for them all. If it is a very cool basement or very warm sun room though, you may have exceptions.

Rue
04-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Interesting...I'll keep an eye on things downstairs...but as I said...it seems to hold a steady 68 F...and they're all doing quite well...

Now I need to get back to my new tank...today I scrub with vinegar and see what that does! :1:

DemonShark
04-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Temp should be good

Rue
04-06-2007, 01:26 AM
I think it will be good!

Tank's taking a bit longer to set up than expected...

...spent longer cleaning it...spent longer moving it around the basement rec room than anticipated...and then hubby decided not to use our well water...and is hauling water from town...at 14g per trip...it's taking a bit longer...

...hopefully it will be full tomorrow and I can turn on the filters and get it going...

I also went with less gravel...only 1/2 lb. per gallon...it covers the bottom well enough...will provide a place for all the good bacteria to grow...but will be easier to vacuum...

*Sarah*
04-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Interesting info. I want to keep goldies sometime, in a HUGE tank ;)

Fishguy2727
04-06-2007, 02:36 AM
What filtration are you using? The bacteria will mainly populate the filter, not really the gravel.

Rue
04-06-2007, 02:44 AM
...not the gravel? That's news to me! I'll have to research a little more...

...2 Emperor 280s came with the tank...I cleaned them up...put in new sponges (had to) and the new carbon filters that came with the tank...and I'm thinking of adding some bioballs if I can figure out how to best stick 'em in there...

Fishguy2727
04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Emperor 280s should each have a Biowheel, which is the best form of biological filtration, that is where your bacteria will be.

Rue
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
...yup...the biowheels are there...was gonna replace them, from the SW...but then I just rinsed them off under hot water and lightly scrubbed...hopefully that will be enough...they look fine otherwise...

Rue
04-06-2007, 04:48 PM
...I am plugged in!!!!

Boy! That wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped! The first filter wouldn't prime...and was making an unholy noise...but I fiddled (and fiddled) and it's running quietly now...

...the second wouldn't start at all...so I fiddled and 'unstuck' the impellor...then it started making yet another unholy noise...now it's running fine, and quietened down...but is still noisier than I like...

I'll let them both run for a while...hopefully it settles in...don't know how long it's been since it's been running before I got it...

Livebearer
04-07-2007, 01:10 AM
You'll get beneficial bacteria on all surfaces. It is more concentrated in the filter. It is also reasonably concentrated in the gravel, but it is frequently disturbed with gravel vac's so the population of the bacterial colony isn't as stable.

Sounds like it will be a tank of pretty fish - best of luck with it!

Fishguy2727
04-07-2007, 02:50 AM
There are three things that determine where the bacteria will live. The first is temperature. They prefer the warmest areas but since a tank is about the same temp throughout, this one does not have much afffect. The other two are oxygen and nutrients. In general these are found together in areas of the highest flow. In a tank with an UGF this is the gravel, and I believe that since this hobby is founded on UGF, it is an old habit for books and people to place so much emphasis on them. However, with the newer filters and different medias and oxygenation techniques, this has changed. Areas of very high flow in filters provide an almost ideal area for nitrifying bacteria. The flow in filters provide nutrients and oxygenation incomparable to that in the gravel bed, just sitting there in the bottom of the tank. To go even further is the Biowheel. There is 30,000x as much oxygen in the air as in water, meaning the Biowheel is a much more ideal area for bacteria. There will be bacteria in the gravel, on the glass, on the decor, everywhere. But it is nothing to the amount in properly maintained filters and biological medias, especially in Biowheels. I think the best analogy is life on Earth. It needs water. There is life in the desert, but nothing compared to the rainforest, which is a much more ideal place for life (on land).

Drumachine09
04-07-2007, 03:37 AM
I think the best analogy is life on Earth. It needs water. There is life in the desert, but nothing compared to the rainforest, which is a much more ideal place for life (on land).

Thats deep man... you should write a book!

XD

cocoa_pleco
04-07-2007, 03:41 AM
WOAH, thats my thought for the night.