PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for a planted tank

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Someone please explain how I am supposed to get 54 watts of fluorescent light on my 27g? My stripe light holds a 15 watts T-8. I have just doubled the lighting with a second stripe light. So now I am at 30 watts. I think it works great. Here's a diagram of what I did.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Looks like a job well done, however, if you would like 2 watts per gallon, you will probably need (unfortunately) a more expensive fixture, maybe a high output t-5 fixture or a compact fluorescent.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 06:36 PM
It's tough to get 2 watts/gallon using regular fluorescents. Most people get a compact fluorescent fixture, as it costs just as much (a little less actually) than getting a triple strip system that would be required to achieve as much light when using normal fluorescents. Compact fluorescents are more efficient than T-8's as well, because the are essentially T-5's bent into funny shapes so you get more light per watt. And because the light is coming from 1 bulb, not 3, you have higher intensity.

Failing that, getting another strip light (or two) would work

Keep in mind 1.5-2 watts is a good range for a low maintenance tank. Any more and you'll have to start looking at CO2 and possibly additional fertilizers

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Do you think what I have is enough for the plants I have. I was hoping to get enough light going to grow a tiger lotus. The Wisteria was doing "ok" in the 10g, but it had 1.5 watts a gallon in there.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 07:06 PM
I think either sergo or xooloo (or another one of those clowns) had a tiger lotus that looked great under low light. The sword will want high light of course, but it can cope with 1.5 watts/gallon. Wisteria really takes off with 2+ watts/gallon and CO2. Otherwise, lower light means not enough gets to the bottom leaves and it looks like salad. Pearlweed will grow in low light, but it'll grow tall and leggy.

As a side note, you won't be able to use Excel if you have pearlweed in the tank.

cocoa_pleco
03-31-2007, 07:11 PM
my plants are doing fine with a regular fluorescent in my 20g.

In seattle, petsmart had ANY size plant glo, marine glo, and regular glo bulbs for 5 BUCKS. If i didnt have to catch a plane, id have bought all of them.

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
The sword is MIA, the pearlweed is less then an inch tall, a straggler from my cichlid tank. The Wisteria is still adjusting, but seems to growing at the bottom. The algae balls are hanging in there, but not growing quickly. One one site I know of, most of my plants are rated at medium-medium high light requirement. I know with pond season starting they are going to be getting tiger lotus in and i have always wanted some. I figured it was the easiest of the "red" plants.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
my plants are doing fine with a regular fluorescent in my 20g.

In seattle, petsmart had ANY size plant glo, marine glo, and regular glo bulbs for 5 BUCKS. If i didnt have to catch a plane, id have bought all of them.

Don't bother with overpriced "plant" bulbs. Any full spectrum variety between 6700k and 10000k works just fine.

AM - You can give it a shot at 1w/g, but I doubt you'll see much growth, if any. You are right about 2 watts/g being a good figure though, as it's about the most you can do without other considerations.

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 07:19 PM
One of the fluorescents is 18000K, I don't know what the other is.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 07:23 PM
One of the fluorescents is 18000K, I don't know what the other is.

mm, may have a problem with that. The color rating is in no way related to the spectrum (which is the most important) but generally color temps around 6700-10000 indicate full spectrum. Blue spectrum light = leaf growth. Red spectrum light = flowering and stem growth. You need about 1/3 blue and 2/3 red, as too much blue also causes algae, which is what full spectrum bulbs provide (roughly)

At this point, I'd recommend setting a budget. You go try low light, and it may work out very well for you (I think sergo or xooloo only had 80 watts over their 55g tank with good results), but it may not. I'm not sure of the dimensions of your tank, but a compact fixture would cost about 50 bucks.

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 07:30 PM
The one that is 18000k is a Hagen Power-Glo. I was looking for something to bring out the colour in my fish. Oh, and i did pay, $21.75 + tax for the darn thing.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 07:44 PM
I think either sergo or xooloo (or another one of those clowns) had a tiger lotus that looked great under low light. The sword will want high light of course, but it can cope with 1.5 watts/gallon. Wisteria really takes off with 2+ watts/gallon and CO2. Otherwise, lower light means not enough gets to the bottom leaves and it looks like salad. Pearlweed will grow in low light, but it'll grow tall and leggy.

As a side note, you won't be able to use Excel if you have pearlweed in the tank.

That clown would be me!:hmm3grin2orange: I also have a kleiner bar sword that is doing awesome right next to it. I was surprised myself to see them flourish they way they did, but maybe that's because they have everything else they need?

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 12:34 AM
My 29 gallon is sporting all of 15 watt right now and plants are doing nothing.

I planned to go with a double strip light (30inch) that would give me 40 watt for something less than $40. But I didn't want to invest in a light that really wouldn't do what I wanted so bit the bullet and ordered a compact single light for $79. It's one light, 30 inches but with a wattage of 65.

I also had to order another light for my 55 gallon that went to the dogs this week but that one was less than $30. Still, a lot of money just for lights this week. I'll never afford fish at this rate.

Abbeys_Mom
04-01-2007, 02:02 AM
I was looking at compact fluorescent canopies. They run for $50-60 in the states, but are well over a hundred here. When I am in the store tomorrow I am going see what they have. If it's out of my price range, I am going to check out the hardware store, 'cause I can build my own canopy cheaper.

Chrona
04-01-2007, 02:04 AM
I was looking at compact fluorescent canopies. They run for $50-60 in the states, but are well over a hundred here. When I am in the store tomorrow I am going see what they have. If it's out of my price range, I am going to check out the hardware store, 'cause I can build my own canopy cheaper.

Btw, if you plan on using those spiral screw in compact fluorescents, you need to increase wattage by about 50% to account for their inefficiency when it comes to lighting in one direction (restrike, etc)